This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walt Disney Productions

Hey everybody, My mom has these figures she bought during a visit we made to DL somewhere between 1966 and 1969.
    On the bottom they are marked "Walt Disney productions". I'm curious as to whether this was something like WED, where Walt had a separate interest in the company or was WDP just part of the whole Disney corporation? FWIW, products are now marked "Walt Disney parks and resorts".

Re: Walt Disney Productions

"Walt Disney Production" was the original name of The Walt Disney Company.

Comment

Ah, ok thanks that was simple! :blush: Any idea when that changed?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottG View Post
        I do not know the exact year, but it was the mid-1980s. The company was reorganized and renamed.

Comment

Well originally it was the Disney Bros. Studios, but was changed in the 1920s(?) to Walt Disney Productions. Walt Disney Productions was changed to the Walt Disney Company in or around 1986.

Comment

Any idea when that changed?
            Feb. 6, 1986. A lot of us Disneyana collectors (though not all) consider the pre-Eisner "Walt Disney Productions" copyright to be the mark of the Company's classic period.
            "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
            Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
            imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

I remember when they changed their name from Walt Disney Productions to the Walt Disney Company.

This was before the internet.

I was so livid I ran around Disneyland complaining to anybody I thought was a Disney geek. Even back then people told me if I didn't like it to just stop going to Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                I remember when they changed their name from Walt Disney Productions to the Walt Disney Company.

This was before the internet.

I was so livid I ran around Disneyland complaining to anybody I thought was a Disney geek. Even back then people told me if I didn't like it to just stop going to Disneyland.
                Yep, it hit a lot of us longtime fans hard -- especially because of the cold, corporate manner in which it was announced. It wasn't just the new name, it was the Eisner culture that the name represented. Soon after, when the "Walt Disney Company" copyright began appearing on Disneyland merchandise, it was as offensive to many fans as "Disney Parks" is today -- worse, IMO, because it was the first-of-its-kind rebranding of the house that Walt built.

Although the internet wasn't widespread, I can tell you that the BBSs were buzzing and our 1200 baud Hayes modems were hot enough to fry eggs on. It was a 'way greater flap for its time than Disney dumping Walt's name from its film logo was this year.
                Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 02-08-2012, 06:05 PM.
                "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X