Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Duffy is looking a little scraggly/scruffy... How do you clean him up?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Your Duffy is looking a little scraggly/scruffy... How do you clean him up?

    I've Only had my Duffy since early November, but I've taken him so many places with me, he's started looking a bit scraggly & scruffy and his fur getting a bit matted. I used a soft bristle brush to de-mat and re-fluff his fur up and got pretty good results. The bush I used it actually a pet brush. Now my Duffy looks... not brand new but better than before and his fur is softer and not matted like it was.

    Now if I could only figure out how to fix the popped stitch in his foot (the one that folds his toes in a bit).

  • #2
    Re: Your Duffy is looking a little scraggly/scruffy... How do you clean him up?

    Nice thread idea! I have a pig that is sacred to me and has been through everything since I was a toddler (I still take her on trips - shhh!) and her light pink fades to a gray. My mom has put her in the wash a couple times and even just rinsed her in the sink. Duffy has a lot more to him, so I would be a bit cautious to put him in the washer.. what do you think? Maybe just a sponge bath.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Your Duffy is looking a little scraggly/scruffy... How do you clean him up?

      Whos Scruffy looking?


      The world is a treasure trove of places.
      The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
      Indy Ride Count: 2211
      World of Color Count: 74

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Your Duffy is looking a little scraggly/scruffy... How do you clean him up?

        Originally posted by aimster View Post
        I've Only had my Duffy since early November, but I've taken him so many places with me, he's started looking a bit scraggly & scruffy and his fur getting a bit matted. I used a soft bristle brush to de-mat and re-fluff his fur up and got pretty good results. The bush I used it actually a pet brush. Now my Duffy looks... not brand new but better than before and his fur is softer and not matted like it was.

        Now if I could only figure out how to fix the popped stitch in his foot (the one that folds his toes in a bit).
        Mine has a popped stitch in his foot too that bothers me to no end! I really should ask my friend to fix it for me, or at least show me how. One of his feet is now "fat" while the other looks normal.

        ---------- Post added 07-27-2011 at 11:24 AM ----------

        Originally posted by LilTeacup View Post
        Nice thread idea! I have a pig that is sacred to me and has been through everything since I was a toddler (I still take her on trips - shhh!) and her light pink fades to a gray. My mom has put her in the wash a couple times and even just rinsed her in the sink. Duffy has a lot more to him, so I would be a bit cautious to put him in the washer.. what do you think? Maybe just a sponge bath.
        Somebody suggested using baby shampoo and a damp washcloth. Don't submerge Duffy, just give him a good surface cleaning. The other thing, is you could wipe him down with a fabric softener sheet to make him smell fresh again. I remember my mom washing my stuffed animals in the washing machine, and she would put them inside a pillowcase to keep them safe. I don't know if that's the best idea though, and I would be afraid to get Duffy's insides soaked.

        Originally posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
        Whos Scruffy looking?
        LOL, scruffy-Duffy!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Your Duffy is looking a little scraggly/scruffy... How do you clean him up?

          I agree about not submersing him, and I think an actual "teddy bear brush" is a worthwhile investment. Mine works wonders. But I honestly don't use it that much. I think Duffy's design has a strong "wabi" quality, and a little "sabi" is good for him.^^

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Your Duffy is looking a little scraggly/scruffy... How do you clean him up?

            If you examine Duffy's tags, the one for care instructions says specifically "Surface Clean Only", which means throwing him in the washing machine is NOT recommended. I've used warm water and mild soap (Dove) to spot clean my Duffy with good results.

            Another way to make your Duffy smell "April Fresh" again is to lightly mist him with some Febreeze. That stuff actually absorbs odors instead of masking them.

            Mine has a popped stitch in his foot too that bothers me to no end! I really should ask my friend to fix it for me, or at least show me how. One of his feet is now "fat" while the other looks normal.
            That's exactly what happened to mine! If the stitch popped on the other foot, it wouldn't look so bad, but it looks like one of his feet is now deformed. LOL! I'm betting the stitch popped from putting on/taking off his shoes. I wonder if I took him to Build A Bear if they could fix him? They should considering the amount of clothes I've bought from them! :lol:

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Your Duffy is looking a little scraggly/scruffy... How do you clean him up?

              Does Build-a-Bear offer that? I know American Girl does, where they have a "salon" to fix doll's hair and clean them up. It would be a smart idea, and encourage repeat visits.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Your Duffy is looking a little scraggly/scruffy... How do you clean him up?

                I put mine in a pillowcase if i want to wash him and shelliemay and i put the washer and dryer on delicate so they won't get ruined.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Your Duffy is looking a little scraggly/scruffy... How do you clean him up?

                  While at WDW, I got ketchup on one of the strap Duffys, I used shout wipes on him and it all came out fine.
                  Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
                  Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
                  :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Your Duffy is looking a little scraggly/scruffy... How do you clean him up?

                    Originally posted by Janell View Post
                    While at WDW, I got ketchup on one of the strap Duffys, I used shout wipes on him and it all came out fine.
                    Yes I do this as well! It works nicely!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Your Duffy is looking a little scraggly/scruffy... How do you clean him up?

                      Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                      Does Build-a-Bear offer that? I know American Girl does, where they have a "salon" to fix doll's hair and clean them up. It would be a smart idea, and encourage repeat visits.
                      If they don't, they should. I work down the road from the local BAB, so I can go after work one night and ask. Worst they can do is say they don't do that. I should look and see if there are any local shops that do stuffed animal/teddy bear/doll repair. There HAS to be at least one or 2 in Tampa Bay.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Your Duffy is looking a little scraggly/scruffy... How do you clean him up?

                        I work for BABW and if you brought me your Duffy, I would try to fix it for you. I have "fixed" a foot stitch before. I say "fixed" because it didn't look shop/store new BUt it was better. I would think that your local BABW would possibly try, depending on the labor involved,how busy at the time etc they may charge you a bit, or maybe not..I find that tends to vary on the repair factors involved.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Your Duffy is looking a little scraggly/scruffy... How do you clean him up?

                          ^ Thanks for the insight. I'll see about taking my Duffy to my local BAB when I get a chance. The one by me usually isn't busy. We'll see what they can do. It looks like a relatively easy fix... if you know how to do stuff like that. Unfortunately I don't. :lol:

                          Comment

                          Ad Widget

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X