This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Farewell, Backlot Express

I'm not sure if it's already been discussed on these boards, but the Backlot Express restaurant is to undergo a major re-theme next month.

Most of the interior decorations have already been removed, and the restaurant will close completely between the 8th and 16th of June. When it re-opens, one half of it will have a High School Musical theme, and the other half will have a Pirates of the Caribbean theme. Both sections will feature original props from the respective movies, and face characters will also be on hand for photo ops.

Even the name of the restaurant is due to change, although I've no idea what it'll be called.

I for one am sad to see the old Backlot Express go - it was one of the Park's more successful attempts to recreate the feel of a working movie studio. (I wonder if that Jedi speeder bike will end up on e-Bay?)
    Last edited by soundtracker; 05-28-2009, 12:11 AM.
    Originally posted by fizzog
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

Re: Farewell, Backlot Express

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Curse 'em all for this, a good, fun themed restaurant ruined by flash-in-the-pan fad franchises. Grr.

Comment

Originally posted by soundtracker View Post
      I'm not sure if it's already been discussed on these boards, but the Backlot Express restaurant is undergo a major re-theme next month.

Most of the interior decorations have already been removed, and the restaurant will close completely between the 8th and 16th of June. When it re-opens, one half of it will have a High School Musical theme, and the other half will have a Pirates of the Caribbean theme. Both sections will feature original props from the respective movies, and face characters will also be on hand for photo ops.

Even the name of the restaurant is due to change, although I've no idea what it'll be called.

I for one am sad to see the old Backlot Express go - it was one of the Park's more successful attempts to recreate the feel of a working movie studio. (I wonder if that Jedi speeder bike will end up on e-Bay?)
      Thank you for the info. Would you happen to have any photos of how the restaurant looked before the retheme?
      MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
        Thank you for the info. Would you happen to have any photos of how the restaurant looked before the retheme?
        Hey there Dusty! There's quite a nice photo retrospective at DLRPtimes.com here:

And the ever reliable WDSfans.com has some shots taken this past week that show the newly stripped interior: Latest News| WDSfans

Be warned, it makes for heartbreaking viewing!

Comment

Wow. I don't write on the DLP threads much, but... just wow. What a loss of theme for cheap marketing opportunities!

Comment

The name should be "Successful Disney Franchises Cafe'".

Comment

Just...why? Why?

Comment

Originally posted by tloolgb View Post
                Just...why? Why?
                Because someone need to be promoted in the back office . That Person doesn't have any brain or Disney Experiences .

Welcome to Disneyland (Resort) Paris .

It's actually the same person who thought about FastPass System for Crush's Coaster or Magic Unlimited back in the few years.
                HKDL : Done !!!

Comment

Eating while in the presence of HSM?:yuck:
                  WDW - 1987 & 1991
                  DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
                  DLR - October 2011

Comment

A new name for the restaurant has been leaked... .

This is only rumour at this point, so take it with the usual pinch of salt, but I must say it sounds believeable.

Comment

Why? Why?!?!?!

Comment

The only theme that could have been applied worse than HSM would have been Hannah Montana, and how in the world do you tie HSM and Pirates together?

Comment

Originally posted by kcnole View Post
                          The only theme that could have been applied worse than HSM would have been Hannah Montana, and how in the world do you tie HSM and Pirates together?
                          I admit, they do seem to clash.

I'm beginning to see the sense in what they're doing though - the restaurant is still supposed to be a props warehouse, but by tying it to the latest big franchises, they should be able to update it every few years and keep it fresh and relevant. So, for example, if the proposed Lone Ranger movie takes off in a few years, we might well see HSM replaces with that.

Of course, they might just slash the budget and leave POTC and HSM sitting there gathering dust for the next 20 years!

Comment

Yes, I think that is a tad more likely...

Comment

Here are some photos of the work in progress and it's looking... pretty smart, actually! The room facing Armageddon has been painted pitch black, and the area surrounding the food counters has been given some bright red, Wildcat detailing.

Kudos to www.wdsfans.com for the pics. (There are a few more at their site).
                              Last edited by soundtracker; 06-09-2009, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X