• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmay
    • Jul 2006

Trip Report First Ever Visit to Disneyland Paris March 11th

Bonjour micechatters.

Went to Disneyland Paris with my significant other for a whirlwind one-day trip March 11th. We only had one day to allocate for the parks (squeezing in seeing both London and Paris otherwise in a pitifully short six day trip). This was my first trip to Disneyland Paris, having visited both US parks more than a few times and having visited the storied Japanese resort just the year prior. I was keen to see the park I'd heard so much about, both good and bad, and compare it to its peers in the Disney Empire.

It was a chilly day, starting overcast and even a bit foggy, with the sun finally peaking out around noon and staying sunny but brisk for the rest of the day. We bought the standard 2 parcs one day pass (I didn't even see that they sold one day one parc passes at the gate) and entered Main Street around 9:45. After a stop at the emporium to buy me a Skellington beanie and matching gloves--I was woefully underdressed for the chill--we made a beeline at rope drop for Big Thunder Mountain, followed by Phantom Manor, Peter Pan's Magic Flight and Space Mountain Mission 2 in short order (all before 11!). Rather than bore you with a play by play, here are the resulting impressions, with a few pics to follow (assuming I can successfully upload them, I'm new to the trip report game):

Crowds:
    The crowds were on the lighter side, though nowhere near as empty as I've heard it gets in January. We never stood in line more than fifteen to twenty minutes, with the longest wait of the day being Crush's Coaster, and that, at most, registering roughly 25 minutes.

Food:
    With only one day to spare for the experience, we didn't have time to visit Walt's or any of the more praised establishments, so we just made do with what was relatively quick and nearby when we happened to be hungry. We ate at the Studio Backlot for lunch (meh) and Casey's on the way out (double meh). The food quality for counter service was about the same level as the American parks, which is to say bland, but neither of us are particularly difficult to please when it comes to food, being, after all, ravenous mega-portion swilling Americans.

Ride Quality:
    Though the parks are suffering from a relative want of rides quantitatively, I would say that with few exceptions, the Paris park has some of the best rides in the Empire. Phantom Manor (now quite possibly my favorite 'mansion'), Cinemagique (quite enjoyable, though being an American several of the film clips were unknown to me, and I'm a massive film fanatic), Crush's Coaster (short, but damn fun), Big Thunder Mountain (the conventional wisdom holds here, it is the best version worldwide) and Space Mountain Mission 2 (painfully rough, but the effects and visual stimuli make the American versions look like a wild mouse in a warehouse with the lights out) are particular standouts. Even rides more or less the same as the other versions, Peter Pan for example, have impressive fiber optics effects lacking in their predecessors. Neither I nor my girlfriend can be said to be fans of It's a Small World in any incarnation, but we both agreed the Paris version if the most tolerable we've rode. Pirates was closed while I was there, as was the Nautilus walkthrough, so I'll have to return some year to evaluate them.

Maintenance:
    Everything in the rides seemed fairly well maintained for our trip, though, being my first visit I wouldn't have the frame of reference to note if they were in disrepair compared to prior times. There was chipping paint and everywhere cracked, potholed, bricks-missing grounds in plain view, but I saw none of the overflowing trashcans or blatantly malfunctioning effects I've heard so much about.

Guest Service:
    Cast members seemed friendly enough, with the ride ops on Tower of Terror being the best, though, as with any Disney resort, some were better than others. We visited New York City in October and since then, even the curtness of French clerks hardly raises out eyebrows. Even if they're visibly annoyed, at least they acknowledge your presence, which is better than the service I routinely get in the states.

Walt Disney Studios:
    There's little criticism I can make that hasn't already been made in gratuity, but having actually seen the park now I can attest that it really is lacking in just about every sense. The rides it does have are great, but the atmosphere is minimal at best, and the park just feels hopelessly small; more like a themed land of a bigger park than a park itself. Suffice it to say, it needs years and years, and millions, if not billions, of euros worth of work.

Overall, it's a fine resort, and really deserves more credit and patronage than it gets. Every resort has its attributes and detriments (even the fawned over Tokyo resort has its share of shortcomings, yes, including the sacred cow DisneySea), and Disneyland Paris is no exception. But its more than worth at least a day sidetrip for any foray in the area, nicely augmenting the standard holiday regimen of museums, historical sites and binge-eating.

Some pics:

Yes, the banners are gone from Main Steet:

The best castle in the Disney Parks Empire:

And a goober in front of it:

I love how even in the cold weather, using cold-hardy bamboo, palms, and shrubbery, Paris' Adventureland is still green:

Something you never see in the other resorts: Frozen waterfalls!
    Last edited by jimmay; 03-17-2010, 08:48 AM.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012
  • davewasbaloo
    Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow
    • Feb 2007

Re: First Ever Visit to Disneyland Paris March 11th

I am really glad you enjoyed our resort. Attraction wise, DLP offers some of the best versions of the attractions anywhere. Shame you saw it when it was so cold, but the small crowds meant you could do more.

Some of us oldies get grumpy because when DLP opened, it actually rivalled the original for best park. It had nearly as much entertainment and unique shopping.

But yep, you went to some of the very weakest counter service restaurants in the park. The rule is Westside - Frontierland, Adventureland or Fantasyland if you want ok counter service offerings.

6 days? Wow, I would never travel so far for such a short break. What did you think of our cities? AS an American living in Europe, I know my perspectives have changed radically.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

Comment

• Dagobert
      MiceChatter
      • Feb 2007

Thanks for sharing your impressions with us. I'm glad you liked the resort. We have been there a month earlier and we although thought that DLP is in a very good condition at the moment, especially the attractions.

Comment

• jimmay
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by davewasbaloo View Post

6 days? Wow, I would never travel so far for such a short break. What did you think of our cities? AS an American living in Europe, I know my perspectives have changed radically.
        Believe me I would have preferred more, but the 2 week vacation is nearly extinct in America. All told, I get about four weeks of paid time off a year with my job, but the scheduling of it is strictly apportioned, and scheduling more than a week in succession is prohibitively difficult. It wouldn't surprise me if the only way I'm able to schedule a longer trip for my next jaunt to Europe would be if it were between jobs.

As for my impression of the cities, I loved both London and Paris, though London was the clear victor in that comparison. The tube and bus system, the monuments, the parks are all world-class, and the best I've seen from all the major cities I've been to. Unlike Paris, London didn't assualt me with junk souvenir peddlers and beggars everywhere I went-except maybe for the pedestrian paths on Westminster Bridge, and I felt, all told, quite safe the whole time I was in the city. Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Imperial War Museum, Hyde Park/Speakers Corner, Westminster Abbey, I even enjoyed the London Dungeon, which in its own goofy, overpriced way, explores some of the area's darker history the museum's ignore, were all a great time.

The only thing that strikes me as odd about London is that, with the exception of the Rosetta stone, they tend to let people touch everything. Parts of Westminster Abbey and the National Museum have a noticeable accumulation of dirt from visitor's hands, and I can only imagine what the bodily oils are doing to the artifacts.

I may write up a trip report for the non-Disney stuff in the 'Other parks' area on micechat later.
        Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.

Comment

• DLPfan1992
          MiceChatter
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by jimmay View Post
          Believe me I would have preferred more, but the 2 week vacation is nearly extinct in America. All told, I get about four weeks of paid time off a year with my job, but the scheduling of it is strictly apportioned, and scheduling more than a week in succession is prohibitively difficult. It wouldn't surprise me if the only way I'm able to schedule a longer trip for my next jaunt to Europe would be if it were between jobs.

As for my impression of the cities, I loved both London and Paris, though London was the clear victor in that comparison. The tube and bus system, the monuments, the parks are all world-class, and the best I've seen from all the major cities I've been to. Unlike Paris, London didn't assualt me with junk souvenir peddlers and beggars everywhere I went-except maybe for the pedestrian paths on Westminster Bridge, and I felt, all told, quite safe the whole time I was in the city. Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Imperial War Museum, Hyde Park/Speakers Corner, Westminster Abbey, I even enjoyed the London Dungeon, which in its own goofy, overpriced way, explores some of the area's darker history the museum's ignore, were all a great time.

The only thing that strikes me as odd about London is that, with the exception of the Rosetta stone, they tend to let people touch everything. Parts of Westminster Abbey and the National Museum have a noticeable accumulation of dirt from visitor's hands, and I can only imagine what the bodily oils are doing to the artifacts.

I may write up a trip report for the non-Disney stuff in the 'Other parks' area on micechat later.
          Makes me feel special as a Brit of what you thought of London all this bad press lately in the UK from our Newspapers telling us how bad we are. We Brits like feel negative of ourselves a lot.

Comment

• tasman
            MiceChatter
            • Jul 2006

So good to see Main St without those banners and the Castle without anything obscuring the ovoid window in front.

Thanks for your trip report!
            Down with the Hat

Comment

• Olivier
              Membre
              • May 2005

Very interesting report from a first timer. And OMG, it's the 1st pic I see of Main Street USA, without these huge poles !!! Fantastic !

Comment

• Bryce05
                MiceChatter
                • May 2008

Um... Why is there an advertisement for "Signs" beside the ToT? That movie is like 8 years old...

Comment

• Reiana
                  • Apr 2006

Glad you liked our resort.

Main street looks totally different without all theres banners. It look like a new road.
                  Altough I know Main Street without them, it's somehow "strange" to see it like this.
                  You get used to those stupid banners.

Comment

• nathan detroit
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Bryce05 View Post
                    Um... Why is there an advertisement for "Signs" beside the ToT? That movie is like 8 years old...
                    The posters in WDS have always been a mix of old and new. Although admittedly Signs does seem like an odd choice and far from a 'classic'.
                    WDW - 1987 & 1991
                    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
                    DLR - October 2011

Comment

• wumbology
                      The Study of Wumbo
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by jimmay View Post
                      Overall, it's a fine resort, and really deserves more credit and patronage than it gets. Every resort has its attributes and detriments (even the fawned over Tokyo resort has its share of shortcomings, yes, including the sacred cow DisneySea), and Disneyland Paris is no exception.
                      I foresee ICe101 to be in here in a little while.

Thanks for you opinions! I'm looking forward to one day visiting EuroDisney.

Those are some nice pictures, especially the one with the side view of the castle.
                      -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

• nojarama
                        hatbox ghost believer
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DLPfan1992 View Post
                        Makes me feel special as a Brit of what you thought of London all this bad press lately in the UK from our Newspapers telling us how bad we are. We Brits like feel negative of ourselves a lot.
                        Oh hell no! I have been to London twice myself (Once in 1996 and again in 2003). Pure bliss both times! Can't wait to go back again soon!!!

Oh, and Jimmay, your trip report was fantastic. Hopefully I will get to visit this beautiful park (and it's sister) myself!
                        Jon A. Leslie
                        nojarama
                        http://www.nojarama.com

Comment

• davewasbaloo
                          Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow
                          • Feb 2007

Glad you enjoyed it, and also pointed out something else that is cool for us over here, long vacation allowance

But I am really glad you had a great time. I hate commuting daily to London, but through the eyes of a tourist, there is much to enjoy.
                          Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

Comment

• Sgt. Tibs
                            Geek
                            • Mar 2008

great report and lovely photos!

oh yeah, was the kodak shop still behind tarps when you went? do you have any pics? or of whats going on behind the walls in front of the castle?

cheers
                            Last edited by Sgt. Tibs; 03-21-2010, 12:00 AM. Reason: question.

Comment

• jimmay
                              • Jul 2006

Both of the first two stores on the right side as you come in are under refurb canvas, the latest of which, sadly is unthemed and stark-white. I didn't get any pictures of the refurb behind the walls at the castle, sorry.

Comment

• Sgt. Tibs
                                Geek
                                • Mar 2008

Nevermind, thanks for the info though.

Comment

• robbiem
                                  Hello
                                  • Jul 2009

Jimmay I echo DLP1 fan1992's comments about London. As a nation of 'put downers' its really interesting to hear your kind words for our city, especially as I think most brits would put Paris above London in most stakes.

Davewasbaloo I'd love to hear more about how your preceptions of Europe changed once you lived here - good / bad, has it changed your attidude to the US parks / DLP or to life in the US / Europe in general? Maybe we could start a new post to discuss?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X