This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Other] Illustration: Re-Inventing WDSP

About a year ago I shared a plan for re-working WDSP into a unique, non-Studio park: here

This is my illustrative version of that plan:

I also took the opportunity today to illustrate how I think the Paris version of Tower of Terror could have some changes/additions made to its exterior to improve its verticality and let it soar:

Hope you enjoy.
    http://www.idealbuildout.blogspot.com/

Re: Illustration: Re-Inventing WDSP

Thanks for the concept art. That would be exactly my kind of themepark I want to see in Paris. No stupid character tie ins, like TSPL. Sadly it will never happen in Paris.

Comment

Comment

I like your designs and your idea to make WDS bigger and create a more "challenging" park, but I think that it needs a theme for the park itself. I mean, every disney park around the world has one theme, one own-idea which makes it different from the others; Epcot (Science and technology), California Adventure (California and it attractions), Disneysea (the oceans and ports around the world), DHS (movie-making and hollywood), Animal Kingdom (natural life).

I really like the theme-lands you designed, but the park wouldn't be more than that, a group of lands without connection. I think a disney park needs to have one special "atmosphere", and the lands must be planned in relation to that "atmosphere". It's only my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzabar77 View Post
          I like your designs and your idea to make WDS bigger and create a more "challenging" park, but I think that it needs a theme for the park itself. I mean, every disney park around the world has one theme, one own-idea which makes it different from the others; Epcot (Science and technology), California Adventure (California and it attractions), Disneysea (the oceans and ports around the world), DHS (movie-making and hollywood), Animal Kingdom (natural life).

I really like the theme-lands you designed, but the park wouldn't be more than that, a group of lands without connection. I think a disney park needs to have one special "atmosphere", and the lands must be planned in relation to that "atmosphere". It's only my opinion.
          Hey Thanks. I got into an interesting debate on this last year, when someone was making the exact point you are. My general position is that Disneyland itself has no central theme - and that's perfectly fine (often works better than parks with an underlying theme).

The way I see it, theme parks and their composite lands exist across a thematic spectrum with "strictly-themed" at one end and "loosely-themed" at the other. STRICT attempts to connect the lands & attractions to an underlying vision. Examples include DisneySea, original EPCOT Center, Animal Kingdom, etc. LOOSE brings together random lands without an attempt at a connective tissue. Examples include Islands of Adventure and all five of the Disneyland-style parks. Both Strictly & Loosely-themed parks can be great. It all depends on execution.

Disneyland has been the theme park paradigm for so long, one might assume that there is a specific overarching theme to the park: Disney. But there isn't any underlying connection among Disneyland’s lands, other than they all fall under “Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy” (a blanket which could (and has) cover virtually anything one can imagine) or "Stuff Walt Disney was interested in." I don’t know if an overarching theme for DL was intended by Walt or the designers.

For example, if Disneyland had opened in 1955 with, say, a Mythologyland (with a Parthenon replacing the castle), a World Holiday Land, a Big City USA, a Hollywoodland and an Oceanland, in place of the existing lands that have become part of the public consciousness, there would be no real difference in what makes Disneyland, Disneyland – at least with respect to the broad and arbitrary connectiveness of each of the lands (i.e. there is none).

Still, I think there is a loose underlying theme to this park, moreso than Disneyland: the mysterious rotating Portal at the park's center, which is a "gateway" that has opened imaginative worlds representing those classic Disney umbrellas: Yesterday (Hollywood/Adventure Bay), Tomorrow(Cyfy City) & Fantasy (Marvel, Pixar, Castlevania)
          Last edited by RandySavage; 06-27-2012, 01:22 PM.
          http://www.idealbuildout.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is a VERY impressive drawing! You are so talented, You should be an IMAGINEER! Keep the great drawings coming!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X