Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TDLFAN's DLP 15th Anniversary report (photos)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDLFAN's DLP 15th Anniversary report (photos)

On this most joyous day April 12 2007, I am quite pleased to offer you a little pictorial from DLP, in commemoration of their well deserved 15th anniversary. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DLP!!! This is a special day and milestone since some of us honestly had doubts back in the mid 90's that this anniversary would ever occur. But here we are! DLP has achieved this milestone against odds and financial headaches and we the fans could not be happier for the prettiest grand dame of Disney's Kingdoms. As a dedicated Disney park fan, I can only thank those who believed in the place and who have contributed to making sure it stays with us, providing that unmistakable Disney brand of entertainment and many million happy memories in the process. So.. THANK YOU, and we salute you:bow: .. you know who you are.

I had the great pleasure of visiting DLP on April 1st, which was the day the anniversary celebration was launched. The Press of course, got to celebrate the party the night before and have already done a great job of providing images and reports. So I can only offer my experiences on that day, as enjoyed by those of us average guests spending a day at the park, or in my case half... 5 hrs at the park.

I had anticipated coming for many weeks and was quite excited about seeing the new entertainment that for so long, we have been hearing about throught the preparation and planning process.. and the day was finally here. Flew in from the USA, arriving in Paris at 11am, and then arrving at DLP by 2:30pm. It had been a long day and night. But I was happy to be there.

The park looks great as many refurbishings have taken place.. There are still some spots that need major TLC, but I won't dwell on that today. What has been done, has restored the original look and feel of this most beautiful park. The Disneyland Hotel, Plaza Restaurant, and areas of Frontierland in particular, which not long ago were looking quite decripit, now look brand new once again. KUDOS. Next door, DLP's Baby sister park, the Studios.. is no looking that great as construction and place-making continues, and once the temp walls come down, WDSP should be in the first stages of becoming a lovely swan... or so I hope, if their newly released guidemap is any indication... Look for that famous ToonTown mountain to appear in the horizons, among other improvements.

DLP today was packed! as I expected it to be. I was lucky that today was a gorgeous day in Paris... sunny and in the 60s! Perfect theme park weather. I took my placenear City Hall to watch the parade. After much anticipation and a very long wait... the parade went by, but sadly... many technical problems derailed what could have been a great parade. I can NOT properly comment on this because among the technical difficulties I was witnessed to from my viewing spot were... the lack of an introduction to the parade over the PA system and lack of show mode, which I was looking forward to seeing. My friend and MC member DLRP_Bopazot, who spent a few hours with me as well, commented that the Villains float had broken down earlier in the parade and threw off the entire presentation for the rest of us. I was disappointed to say the least since those of us waiting around Town Square waited more than an hour to see this parade. The Parade was to start in Fantasyland at 4pm.. I had been waiting since 3:35pm... but because of the delay during the parade... the first float did not reach Town Square until 4:50pm. It was a long wait and we should have been given the benefit of an entire presentation, rather than passing us by, which turned this parade into short 10 minutes show.

The other disappointment for me was the "Candleabration" show. I was very much looking forward to this one illumination ceremony at the castle since I have seen the Xmas Illumination show and think of it as a fantastic presentation...(something I wish the MK did, and something we got at TDL for the first time this past Xmas). However... today, DLP closed at 8pm, and 8pm in Europe, during daylight savings time means... the Sun is up and bright. I knew the show was going to be a big waste of time if the castle illumination was not going to be visible. Frankly, I would have preffered they had not done the show altogether if it was not possible to see it at night or at least, dusk hours. During this show... the characters do a little dance on the stage in the center of the hub. It was a difficult show to watch because many parents put their kids on shoulders, and without shame, they position themselves in such fashion that they do not care if the block the view of those behind... I wish DLP (WDW and DLR as well) got a policy in place like that of TDL, where parents are prohibited from having kids seated on shoulders and kids' faces are not allowed any higher than a parent's face as a gesture of courtesy for those in the background. We western cultures have so much to learn about being courteous to others...
    Anyways... While the show was OK and I enjoyed seeing the #15 on the castle light up and sparkle in strobes.. I found a portion of the dance show to be a bit...odd. Mickey and dancers do this little hat dance which seemed out of place here. It was like... I kept waiting for Mickey to launch into "One singular sensation.." song from Chorus Line. That was an odd dance number and I would pull it off the show.
    I am not going to offer a rating here either because the show, as performed in the daytime, simply did not work for me, and found it to be a waste of time to do it in the daytime hours. If I had seen it at night, I would have definitely enjoyed this much much more. So I will save an opinion until I get the chance to do so.

As for the Castle... well LESS IS MORE, and it's obvious they learned from WDW's pink nightmare fiasco during the 25th anniversary. This is the best overlay I have seen done on any of the castle overlays done to this day. It's simple, understated, yet elegant and quite fun to look at. The characters holding candles is a strike of genious and, while again... I didn't see it at night, I am sure the night look would be awesome, especially if Tink does a rumored pixie dusting from her wand at the top!

Likewise, the elegant chandelieres of Xmas gave way to anniversary banners down Main Street that also sparkle in fiber optic magic. This is yet another item I would have loved to see at night but didn't. So needless to say... I was disappointed by many things that I was looking forward to but didn't materialized as planned. Most disappointing was that some of those light effects on Main Street and the Castle *were* on during the daytime, but at 8pm, when the "DLP is now closed" announcement came on, the special lights on the decor also were turned off. It was still daylight but,lo and behold.. Main Street remained opened for another hour and closed at 9pm! Why oh WHY could they NOT keep the lights and fiber optics ON until 9pm when the park was dark enough to be enjoyed???

While I was disappointed by some things.. I also had a great time, looking around, shopping, eating and enjoying the atmosphere and decor of the anniversary celebration... so it was not a total waste. However, with so many aspects of the decor and entertainment being dependant on the nightime... I think DLP must make an effort to keep the park opened until the skies get dark during this event. One thing that I noticed is aboout the floats on the new parade as they seem to also be equipped for nighttime showings like DL's Parade of Dreams. Evening performances of Once Upon a Dream Parade would be awesome!

All in all, I had a decent time at DLP and can not wait to return and properly enjoy the added pixie dust after the Sun goes down, and the park comes alive in lights. After all, isn't Paris the City of Lights?

Here are the photos and I sure hope you will enjoy them. Also, special THANKS to DLRP_Bopazot for his company, knowledge and enthusiasm for DLP. It made what could have been a most disappointing visit, a very enjoyable one indeed.

HAPPY 15th ANNIVERSARY DLP!!! And many more....

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...3&a=32507291&f=
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-12-2007, 12:34 AM.

Re: TDLFAN's DLP 15th Anniversary report (photos)

Thanks a lot TDLFAN for the report and great pics !

Comment

I TOTALLY understand about people placing kids on their shoulders. One of my BIGGEST pet peeves...ahhhhhh.
      I want a rule in the parks that no children should be higher than face height. I believe Tokyo does that.

I hope you get see the parade in its proper format in the future- with everything working. Those press days and whatnot were supposedly horrible.

Comment

Great photo's, looks like the park has been bought back to its former glory. The castle looks fantastic and the entrance to Adventureland looks great.

No photo's of Discoveryland or Frontierland?? did you go in them? or did you spend most of your time spending most of your money in 15th anniversary merchandise lol.

Was also good to put a face behind the screen name (not bad )

Comment

Great pictures TDLFAN! Odd that they wouldn't leave the lights on till it got dark if Main St was still open till 9PM.

Alice in wonderbra)

Picure #104 is labeled as Daisey but it is really Hewey, Dewey and Louie
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

Originally posted by DLRPbigfan View Post
            No photo's of Discoveryland or Frontierland?? did you go in them? or did you spend most of your time spending most of your money in 15th anniversary merchandise lol.

Was also good to put a face behind the screen name (not bad )
            "Not bad" as in.. "I want a piece of that!" or as in "I have seen less fatty trolls but he could cast a spell on me, just for fun"?

Actually, the merchandise was OK but not plentiful enough for me to spend more than 35 euros.. and YES, I did go into Frontierland, rode Phantom manor as well. But did not go into Discoveryland at all.

Originally posted by Disney magic
            Picure #104 is labeled as Daisey but it is really Hewey, Dewey and Louie
            You are Correct! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I need glasses as you can see.

Comment

Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing!

Regardsarama,

Jon

PS. The Tigger "jumper-thingy" is fabulous. They bring that to the other parks as well!
              Jon A. Leslie
              nojarama
              http://www.nojarama.com

Comment

Thanks for sharing you rock
                :crazylegs

Comment

Ummm, so what was up with the guy and the gun thingy?
                  I want my cake back!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seenoevil View Post
                    Ummm, so what was up with the guy and the gun thingy?
                    It was a lady, and those are sold at the Frontierland gift shop. I personally feel in this day and age, those types of toys are innapropriate, and especially when carried out in the open as this lady was... Of course, I did try to make a joke of that involviong security searches, which are fruitless... but still! Anyone can walk into a bank with one of them rifles and walk out with a fortune, don't you think?

Comment

Feel sorry that your first impression of the 15th Anniversary was a bit of a let down.But Im sure you'll enjoy it much better next time.And you sum it up right with asking what is the point regarding Candlebration being shown while nights still light.
                      Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

[quote=TDLFAN;1617564]"Not bad" as in.. "I want a piece of that!" or as in "I have seen less fatty trolls but he could cast a spell on me, just for fun"?

I'll leave that upto your imagination.

Comment

Great weather, TDLFan!

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                            It was a lady, and those are sold at the Frontierland gift shop. I personally feel in this day and age, those types of toys are innapropriate, and especially when carried out in the open as this lady was... Of course, I did try to make a joke of that involviong security searches, which are fruitless... but still! Anyone can walk into a bank with one of them rifles and walk out with a fortune, don't you think?
                            It would be fun to buy one and keep it in your bag every day as you go back and forth from the parks from your hotel. See what Security says.

Comment

[quote=DLRPbigfan;1618361]
                              Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                              "Not bad" as in.. "I want a piece of that!" or as in "I have seen less fatty trolls but he could cast a spell on me, just for fun"?

I'll leave that upto your imagination.
                              You tease!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X