This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney Village - the future

As you may or may not know, the Disney Village entertainment district is set to undergo some radical changes in the next few years, with the introduction of a number of new venues, along with an extensive beautification project.
    Things have already got off to a good start with the opening of the Gaumont IMAX cinema (and for those of you who haven't seen it yet, it's a thing of beauty!) but there is plenty more in store.
    First of all, the Disney Village will be getting a whole new look. The industrial, claustrophobic feel of the place has been seen to be a problem for far too long, so most of the giant metal pylons that line the central street will be removed, creating a lot more space. This means the "starry sky" effect will also have to go, but this will be replaced by strings of large coloured lanterns closer to ground level. (A lot like Downtown Disney's Westside.)
    Once these changes have been made, the ground will be re-paved in warmer colours, and a series of flowerbeds will be introduced to add a little greenery to proceedings.
    There are plenty more changes to come after that, but I'll have to save those for my next post.
    So what do you all think? Do you welcome these changes? Are they long overdue, or do you like the Village the way it is? Let's get a discussion going, people! I don't think I've seen a single Disney Village thread on this site yet.
    Last edited by soundtracker; 07-19-2005, 08:35 AM. Reason: Just tidying up
    Originally posted by fizzog
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

Re: Disney Village - the future

Originally posted by soundtracker
    The industrial, claustrophobic feel of the place has been seen to be a problem for far too long,
    Too long indeed!
    Anyway, this is a GREAT news! I've never been a fan of the Disney Village, even if I think that some good things appeared recently.
    Beautification, I think that it's what the Disney Village really needs. :smart:

Comment

Well I always enjoy my experiences at Disney Village, but I don't dispute it could be improved greatly. Downtown Disney at the WDWR feels to expansive for me though, I think it needs to be a bit more intimate.
      BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
      October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
      April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
      October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
      December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
      July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
      July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
      July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
      February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
      February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
      TRIP REPORTS

Comment

i heard that at the Cast Members Rendez Vous in January 05 and i've seen the Future of the Disney Village . The Future of DV is Great and they will also add before 2008 a World OF Disney instead of the old parking lot next to the Mc Donald's .
        HKDL : Done !!!

Comment

Great news indeed. Especialy the greenery. That will help a lot. Now there's only some at the Rainforest Cafe. Why don't they even throw in some more amusement like a DisneyQuest. The new cinema and of course the balloonride are a good start...
          - Milo

Comment

Comment

I am so glad to hear this. The area has always been tres UGLY.

(But, well, it gave me a new appreciation for our own Downtown Disney in Anaheim, which I began to think of as an architectural masterpiece after experiencing DLP's Disney Village (heheh, fka Festival Disney).

Comment

I am not sure that emulating the bland look of WDW's west side is such a great idea. This happens to be WDW's worst looking area on property.

Comment

Originally posted by soundtracker
                  The industrial, claustrophobic feel of the place has been seen to be a problem for far too long
                  Thats what happens when you hire Frank Ghery to design an outdoor space when he is (not much) better at buildings. Dam Eisner.
                  Last edited by drnilescrane; 07-21-2005, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Personally, I quite like the look of Downtown Disney Westside. I was there just over a week ago, and was impressed at just what an attractive space it is. Admittedly, not many of the buildings stand out, but I think that's a problem that Disney Village would be able to overcome fairly easily - just look at the King Ludwig's Castle restaurant. Either way, Disney Village will never be an exact copy of Downtown Disney, but it would definitely benefit from importing a few features.
                    Anyway, where was I? Ah yes, working along the main Village street...
                    Rumour has it that the dark and poky Sports Bar will soon be gone. This makes sense, as a new ESPN sports bar, restaurant and night club will be built alongside the new Village parking structure. A second sports bar would be somewhat superfluous, so the existing bar will probably become either an Irish pub (Lord help us) or an Italian bar/restaurant.
                    You've probably noticed that a lot of the brand new facilities (IMAX, World Of Disney, ESPN bar, etc.) are being built OUTSIDE the original Village area, along the new boulevard that was recently driven up to the Fantasia Gardens, between the Gaumont building and the new car park. This area is set for even more development - a games room will be added to the IMAX building later this year, containing a bar, miniature bowling and other activities for families. There will also be a Chinese restaurant appearing next door to the IMAX within the next few years.
                    In addition to this, the new boulevard will be lined with a few fixed kiosks - once agin, taking a leaf from Downtown Disney's books.
                    Ultimately, this boulevard will becaome a long awaited second street for the Disney Village, almost doubling its capacity. But perhaps the most exciting addition to this new section is the rumoured construction of... wait for it... A MONORAIL STATION!
                    More news on that in future posts.

Comment

A MONORAIL. Wouldn't that be the best!!! :imtheone:
                      Any other rumoured stations?
                      - Milo

Comment

A monorail? I doubt anyone here will live long enough to ever see Disney add (or expand) a monorail system in any resort, let alone Paris.

Comment

Please Please PLEASE Style it like the MKVI rather than the Tokyo Monorails!

Comment

Comment

I'm not sure what to think of another Disneyhotel. If it generates more money (-> eventually new E-Ticket) i'm ok with it, but i'm not certain if the other Hotels are overbooked. The same goes for the office building. Only if it will generate enough money so that visitors can enjoy it by getting a new ride...
                              - Milo

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X