Disney Builds a Lifestyle Brand, Not Toonish

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Disney Builds a Lifestyle Brand, Not Toonish

An interesting NYT article on Disney going for the haute couture crowd:

(I would post this in news but I don't have that member privilege.) This high-end merchandise won't be available in the parks or Disney shops, but it does possibly presage a new path for Disney in the future with elite boutique parks catering to the Neiman Marcus crowd.

Re: Disney Builds a Lifestyle Brand, Not Toonish

Yeah, the park for elites is going to be called Disneyland.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Re: Disney Builds a Lifestyle Brand, Not Toonish

$1200 for a fountain pen?! :lmao: I actually use fountain pens because they're cool, I get to mix my own ink colors, and they write really nicely if you know how to tune them, but where does Disney get off selling them for $1200? The old 1930s Mickey Mouse fountain pens cost $1 each, and that wasn't all that much even back then. I've seen the new pens, and while they're nice, I thought they'd be made of solid 24K gold for that price instead of plastic! I'd say that a $100-$150 price point would be reasonable in today's market (although most of my fountain pens cost me about $5).

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,719 at 09:15 AM on 07-20-2012.