No announcement yet.

Make a Wish and Disneyland

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Make a Wish and Disneyland

The other evening I was watching a news story about a teenage girl who has declined a heart transplant. According to the news she wanted to go to Disneyland. This morning I looked it up and found the following article.
    Breaking News

According to the article it is Disney World, so I am not sure if it was a mix-up on the news or on the article. They had also mentioned Make-A-Wish last night, but the article refers to "a charity organization" so again I am not sure. Either way it provided a reality check for my wife and I. It reminded us of just how special a place like Disneyland really is. I have many stories of children from various charities, including Make-A-Wish. I also heard about another Make-A-Wish drive at Macy's. Macy's will have mailboxes for children to send letters to Santa (does require a stamp). For every letter in the mailbox Macy's will donate $1, up to $1,000,000. Having been a CM for many years I can say that Make-A-Wish has made a difference for some very special little ones, and made a substantial impact on many CM's. There is also Toy's for Tots... which in years past held drives at the CM Holiday Party. I am not sure if they are doing it this year... but again it is something to think about. Disney, and Disneyland, work with a variety of charities, I was wondering if anyone had a list. I know they have worked with Choc, Make-A-Wish, Toys for Tots, and a Canadian charity (forgot the name)... if anyone knows of others please PM me.

I know this year times are tough, and likely every charity will be requesting donations. Sometimes between the commercialization of the Holidays, and the frantic shopping, we loose sight of what really matters. My family and I have greatly enjoyed our family time at Disneyland... time to get the kids to write letters to Santa so someone else can have a chance to grant that wish!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Re: Make a Wish and Disneyland

Toys for Tots is still happening at the cast member party this year

Thanks for the post Techskip-

I'm currently a volunteer for the Make A Wish foundation and have seen firsthand what an incredible program it is. I have sent a few children on Disney wishes, and am in the middle of another Disney wish right now. I'm super lucky because I've seen both sides of the wish- from the MAW side to the Disney side as a CM. When you think about the time that they've spent in the hospitals, the drugs and therapies they've gone through, and just the absolute hell many of these kids are living in, you can see why that Disney magic is so amazing to them. It truly is a place where they can finally escape their lives and live in this fantasy world- if only for a few days. The process can be fairly long and these children really look forward to this for months and even years!!!

Definitely get those letters to Santa going!!

Going once a month I start to realize how lucky I am and there are people out there can't afford a trip to Disneyland let a lone some food.
        "To All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome" - Walt Disney

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,719 at 08:15 AM on 07-20-2012.