Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Disneyland ever had a general "free admission" day?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Has Disneyland ever had a general "free admission" day?

I was just wondering if in the history of Disneyland, have they ever held a "free admission" day where they just open the gates to the public until the park was filled to capacity?

Re: Has Disneyland ever had a general "free admission" day?

I can't speak for previous eras, but nothing recently that I'm aware of. That sounds like it would be complete and utter CHAOS... look how crazy it gets when KFC gives away free chicken...

Comment

OMG could you imagine??
      sigpic

Comment

How cool would that be? Can you imagine giving all the people who've never been and dreamed of going a chance to visit? Good Karma.
        Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Comment

nO and I hope it never happens, it wouldnt ever happen! thats crazy!

Comment

The idiots at Knott's tried that a few Cinco De Mayo's ago... Admission for a nickel, I think a riot broke out...
            I don't like strollers, kids on leashes or ecv's. Yeah, I'm a jerk like that. But I am pro musket cap gun at D Land.

Comment

I don't think it's ever been done. And it's probably not a good idea.

Even if Disney didn't advertise it I am sure word-of-mouth would spread like wild fire. Not to mention Disney I am sure would get in loads of legal problems if simply because of all the road and freeway backups this would cause. I guarantee the 5 in both directions would have epic traffic jams.

Comment

It would be a monsterous disaster; imagine if everyone showed up and the park was full within hours and the people that couldn't get in? carnage, riots, lawsuits... just the kind of press Disney would want...I don't think so.
                sigpicI reject your reality and substitute my own

Comment

Well, I was pretty sure they had never done it in the "modern era", but I wondered if maybe it happened in the earlier days?

Edit: Now that I think about this, it wouldn't have been a big deal in the old "ticket book" days since admission didn't include attractions.

Comment

There was a radio promo some time back (KISS FM I believe in the mid 90's) that mistakenly said if you showed up in costume you were allowed in free. This caused a nightmare.

It's also been my understanding that at one time they did not charge general admission, or that it was heavily discounted, and the main source of income was attraction ticket books. I wasn't around "back then" so some of the older individuals please correct me if I am wrong.
                    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Uinversal Studios has done it more than once. I don't remember any issues on the way they handled the promotion.

I think the problem with knott's is that they do not have the infrustructure to handle promotions like this yet they do them anyway. Their parking situation is terrible and the park has very little room to hold thousands of guests because of its small ticketing area.

I never see Disney doing that now maybe in the past. They have no reason for it. Instead when they do offer free admissions they target specific group of people. They have done it for the military, fire department and police force.

Comment

Originally posted by All4dISNEY View Post
                        How cool would that be? Can you imagine giving all the people who've never been and dreamed of going a chance to visit? Good Karma.
                        They're getting that this year if they choose to go on their birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                          There was a radio promo some time back (KISS FM I believe in the mid 90's) that mistakenly said if you showed up in costume you were allowed in free. This caused a nightmare.
                          Wasn't this a Halloween promo? I am pretty sure there was a halloween costume party with free admission, but as I remember it you got in free if in costume, but before the parks normal opening and there were no attractions open, and they had to clear out before opening. And as I recall WAY MORE people showed up then they expected. I know people who went and said it was packed, and it was also shown on the local news.
                          There also used to be free shopping nights during the holidays, but you only got to go on Main Street, not the rest of the park.
                          Last edited by ExCandyMaker; 05-13-2009, 03:09 PM. Reason: punctuation,clearity

Comment

Originally posted by disneysnout View Post
                            nO and I hope it never happens, it wouldnt ever happen! thats crazy!

Crazy?

THIS

IS

DISNEYLAND!!!!!!

SUPPORT THE CMs

sigpic
                            For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

Comment

^Photoshop WIN
                              "I can stand the sight of worms,
                              and look at microscopic germs,
                              but technicolor pachyderms
                              are really too much for me."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X