• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goat_trick
    New MiceChatter
    • Apr 2008

[Review] In defense of Magical

I just got home from the park, and am a little disappointed. Not in the show, but that everybody seems to hate it already! I really enjoyed it, and think it is an excellent change of pace for the summer season. Remember is one of the most spectacular shows I have ever seen. Magical is not Remember. And that's ok! I thought there were some very creative sequences. I think the spotlights and castle lighting were used very well, and added a different touch. The pyro synchronization does need some tweaking, hence the need for a dress rehearsal.

Don't sound the panic alarm folks, everything's going to be alright. I mean, I just saw Dumbo fly over the castle!
    Last edited by goat_trick; 06-03-2009, 10:19 PM.
  • Jordiekins
    The one and only
    • Apr 2008

Re: In defense of Magical

not animatronic! there's a person in it, according to a blog published today.

Comment

• goat_trick
      New MiceChatter
      • Apr 2008

You're right Just read the LA Times blog. It's a puppet! Very cool stuff.

Comment

• a_shy_kid
        steven.
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by goat_trick View Post
        I just got home from the park, and am a little disappointed. Not in the show, but that everybody seems to hate it already! I really enjoyed it, and think it is an excellent change of pace for the summer season. Remember is one of the most spectacular shows I have ever seen. Magical is not Remember. And that's ok! I thought there were some very creative sequences. I think the spotlights and castle lighting were used very well, and added a different touch. The pyro synchronization does need some tweaking, hence the need for a dress rehearsal.

Don't sound the panic alarm folks, everything's going to be alright. I mean, I just saw an animatronic Dumbo fly over the castle!
        well said.
        hahaha.
        i've got no strings.

Comment

• 1FoolishMortal
          • Apr 2006

Thank you for realizing this. Technical rehearsals are just that: so they can get the timing & everything down. I doubt Remember was spot-on the first time they rehearsed it after-hours. Heaven forbid they let the public see its test run....people probably would've run here screaming that it was a "great show" but the "pyro was off a bit." Give it some time, folks! I think it'll turn out just fine.
          "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

• JacksBack13
            • Aug 2005

i saw it on main street i thought it was very good, the score was really good also

i wasn't dissopointed at all

too bad everyone's already hating on it

Comment

• Dan - Tasmic!
              Banned User
              • Jun 2006

Overall it's a good show. I love it. Dumbo was the high point of the show. there's always room for improvements.

Comment

• 2DieFR
                MiceChatter
                • Jun 2005

In defense of Magical, I clapped really hard for Dumbo.

Comment

• elly
                  Don't diss my bonnet
                  MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                  • Aug 2006

i watched several of the various You Tube videos tonight since i won't have the opportunity to see Magical in person

i enjoyed it each time i watched it, i loved the lighting effects on the castle, the spotlights behind the castle and especially Dumbo (how could you NOT!?)

it did seem a bit "empty" at points, but i doubt they're using their full arsenal for just a dress rehearsal

all in all i'm bummed we're not heading back to DL until September, i would really like to have seen this show in person. its not Remember, but honestly, i don't know if Disney will EVER be able to top that.
                  Will there be screams when the sun sets,
                  -=Is It October Yet?=-

Originally posted by Tinkermonkey
                  elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
                  Originally posted by pratt55
                  Elly is adorkable.

Comment

• jagass
                    MiceChatter
                    • Feb 2009

I agree with that...
                    Music is my LIFE!!!

Comment

• Barbaraann
                      Chicago Gal
                      • Apr 2005

I just watched two different videos of it, and I love it. I am home in Chicago, and I won't be able to visit Disneyland this Summer, so I am very thankful for the videos that are being posted.
                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

• jrh1985
                        • Aug 2005

Magical.

Besides me, somebody really likes Magical!..... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxf1VAfiYnA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxf1VAfiYnA[/ame]

(go to the youtube page of this video to read what I mean...)

Comment

• Cameo
                          Lurking since 2005
                          • Feb 2005

I loved the lighting effects on the castle, and thought that Dumbo flying was a wonderful idea, even if it didn't look quite right yet (he needed more movement).
                          Me (Jen) , DH , DD (7) , DD (4) , Belle , Kiara , Fuzzy & Fluffy (Fuz & Fluff are actually fancy rats, but there isn't a rat smiley)

DLR trips - '93, '94, '95 (14), '97 (3), '98, '10 (PPH)...maybe another trip at end of 2010 or in 2011
                          WDW trips - '92 with parents & sister, '96 with extended family (there were 18 of us!), & 2000 with DH...next planned for 2012 or 2013
                          Disney Cruise Line - hoping sometime in 2013 or 2014...waiting for the Disney Wonder to arrive in CA!

Comment

• WDITrent
                            We Go On.
                            • Jun 2008

I agree with everything the OP says. I think it's a good temporary show. On its scale, I think it would still make a good permanent show- of course it will never be as good as R...DCT, but in execution it is wonderful.

Comment

• Christi
                              True Disneyland Nerd!
                              • Sep 2005

I am just really surprised that they wouldnt do a show as good as Remember. I guess Im one of the DL dreamers that always hopes for something bigger and better with the new technology. I guess I should have learned my lesson with Pooh, but I thought DL had learned a lesson from that. Im sure this show is "fine", but when I saw the pemiere of Remember I was gobsmacked!
                              The projections on the castle, the interaction from other areas, wow...just WOW.
                              I know the economy and all, but I would think (hoped) Disney would do something really spectacular to draw people to the park~
                              Im dragging my non Disney bf to the park on the 12th, and Im sure he will like the fireworks, but I wont be able to explain how amazing Remember was...its just something you have to see for yourself.
                              I know we will still have a great time, but I now wish we hadnt waited for the new shows.

Comment

• RocketRodder
                                New MiceChatter
                                • Mar 2008

I've watched a few of the videos on Youtube and I can't say that I like it. The fireworks are good and all but I just HATE the music. I find the song really annoying and repetitive.

Comment

• jrh1985
                                  • Aug 2005

submarine-maniac,

Comment

• TiffLuvsBTM
                                    our happily ever after
                                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by goat_trick View Post

Don't sound the panic alarm folks, everything's going to be alright. I mean, I just saw Dumbo fly over the castle!
                                    I agree! I think that the children who attend the park this summer will love this firework show which focuses on some of the most beloved movies. Although I will miss Remember the next few months, I think Magical will be fun to watch for a while.

Comment

• Gymfan15
                                      Yearning for Disneyland
                                      • Apr 2008

I think the show is fine...not RDCT by a LONG shot, but not shabby, and I look forward to seeing how it will shape up once all the elements are added in. It was, after all, just a rehearsal!

I actually think it was a smart idea for Disney to pull RDCT when they did and not run it all the way to the 55th, where I assume we'll be getting a new fireworks show. After the awesomeness and genius that is RDCT, ANYTHING, even a very amazing show, will seem pale in comparison. By cutting the scale back dramatically with a small show, it re-adjusts what people think is required for a good show. Then, when they get a bigger, better show next year, it can nowhere but up, and can be viewed as an improvement rather than a regression. If they'd gone straight from RDCT to a new "big" show, I doubt that would be the case.

...and just a little bit of pixie dust!
                                      http://www.spareoom.net

Comment

• RenMan
                                        back in Austin
                                        • Mar 2005

Watching the HD youtube video, it looks like it'll turn out to be a pretty decent show. It really is wrong to judge a show from dress rehearsals.

I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it: when are the last Remember shows going to be?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X