This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Death On Big Thunder Mountain

I have read some where, that there was a death that happened year(s) ago on Big Thumder mountain.

Is this true or false.....

And if true what happened?

Re: Death On Big Thunder Mountain

True, I can't seem to recall what happened. I believe the first car derailed.

Comment

Definitely not a rumor. That really happened, unfortunately. A car derailed as it was coming around a corner, if I remember correctly, and a man in his 20s was crushed. I think it was blamed on improper maintenance, and it did take place during a time when Disney was less meticulous about...well, everything.

Comment

here's a link

Wrongful Death of Son on Disney's Big Thunder Mountain

Comment

Didn't the lead engine come off the tack and land on the 1st passenger car, killing the man?

Comment

Originally posted by mrs marisa View Post
            I have read some where, that there was a death that happened year(s) ago on Big Thumder mountain.

Is this true or false.....

And if true what happened?
            True.

Originally posted by DisneyPro View Post
            Didn't the lead engine come off the tack and land on the 1st passenger car, killing the man?
            The upwheel assembly (the wheels underneth the track on the train) worked loose because it was not secured completely because the train was not repaired properly but the paperwork said it was.

When the upwheel assembly worked loose, it eventually struck brake assemblies along the track causing the lead engine car to jump off the track and eventually lodge itself against a brake assembly and the cars behind the engine slammed into the engine itself.

The front most car crushed against the rear of the engine, causing fatal injuries to one of the two people in the lead car because the front edge of the car crushed backwards into them.

Comment

You can read the offical report on the accident here
              Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Accident Investigation Report - Accident, disneyland, and big thunder mountain railroad

You can look at photos of the accident scene here
              RideInsider.com: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Accident Photos

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                This picture just gave me a chill... I miss that engine...
                http://rideinsider.com/test/images/btmrr_14.jpg

I know the report well... I was not aware of any pictures on the net. Thank You for that link.
                Last edited by techskip; 08-04-2009, 11:08 AM.
                "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Yeah, I was aware of this incident, but those pictures really cement this tragedy in your brain. This one in particular:

RideInsider.com: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Accident Image #31

Scary stuff right there.
                  "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"

Comment

Originally posted by rajbonham View Post
                    Yeah, I was aware of this incident, but those pictures really cement this tragedy in your brain. This one in particular:

RideInsider.com: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Accident Image #31

Scary stuff right there.
                    Especially because there is still blood right there. The tunnell in which this happened is the one where you enter underneath the coyote rocks just after the possum tree, correct? That is an especially rough portition of track and I can definately see how this happened.
                    WELCOME ABOARD
                    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

Was this the only death/accident on BTM?

Comment

That's indeed the part after the opossums and coyotes. I hadn't seen those pictures before - based on the limited descriptions I'd read, I'd mistakenly thought it'd taken place at the start of the final lift hill.

EDIT: DizneyPhotoGuy, I don't believe there have been any other deaths on the attraction, though I'm sure less serious injuries and accidents have occurred on rare occasions.

Comment

Wow that did a lot more damage than I pictured. Those pictures really drive it home. Of course the trains are moving at a pretty good clip through there. I'm always tossed pretty good in that tunnel.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Eric5675 View Post
                            Especially because there is still blood right there. The tunnell in which this happened is the one where you enter underneath the coyote rocks just after the possum tree, correct? That is an especially rough portition of track and I can definately see how this happened.
                            Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                            That's indeed the part after the opossums and coyotes. I hadn't seen those pictures before - based on the limited descriptions I'd read, I'd mistakenly thought it'd taken place at the start of the final lift hill.
                            It was Safety 1 (wood shed tunnel before B Lift)...
                            "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by Eric5675 View Post
                              That's what I noticed about the blood. Very scary, and also very sad I must say everytime I enter that tunnel it's just so freaky to me, knowing what happened in it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X