Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy 30th Birthday, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Happy 30th Birthday, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad!

Today is Big Thunder Mountain Railroad's 30th birthday! According to Disney Parks (DisneyParks) on Twitter, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad opened September 2, 1979!

Re: Happy 30th Birthday, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad!

Omg happy bday btmrr
    So after 2 full days in a row of walking around disneyland and a four hour practice, I finally understand why my doctor told me to take it easy on my knee I still cant wait to do it again

AEROSMITH FTWW!

Comment

If anyone's not doing anything today, come to the park, to the Golden Horseshoe at 1 PM for a Hoedown! Then ride BTMRR as much as you can from 1 - 2 PM.

Comment

Happy Birthday to BTMRR!!! I'd love to join up and ride as many times as possible between 1 & 2, but if even if I left now, I wouldn't make it in time...oh well, have fun for me too!
        Imagination ~ dream a fantastic dream ~ use your imagination

Please visit my store!
        http://www.zazzle.com/carouselofcolor*

My current blog - check it out!
        http://www.thishappyplace.wordpress.com

Comment

It's also the 24th anniversary of the closing of Adventure Thru Inner Space - a bittersweet anniversary.

Comment

I think that its sad to see that BTMR doesnt get a huge aniversery like HM did. I know that the rides are totally differnt but i think BTMR is equally as good.
            Last edited by winder*wonder; 09-02-2009, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by winder*wonder View Post
              I think that its sad to see that BTMR doesnt get a huge aniversery like HM did. I know that the rides are totally differnt but i think BTMR is equally as good.
              Agreed! BTMRR is my favorite attraction. It has great effects and the ride experience is fun all on its own. Plus, I like the dark ride mix between a completely outdoor ride. It also has an interesting story. They actually aren't too different if you think about it, in terms of story. Haunted Mansion is about a haunted mansion, while Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is about a haunted mine.

Comment

A happy birthday to my favorite ride. We share a birth month

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
                  Agreed! BTMRR is my favorite attraction. It has great effects and the ride experience is fun all on its own. Plus, I like the dark ride mix between a completely outdoor ride. It also has an interesting story. They actually aren't too different if you think about it, in terms of story. Haunted Mansion is about a haunted mansion, while Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is about a haunted mine.
                  i deff. agree with you about story. thats why i like the ride so much and the fact that they worked so hard on the ride. its also a plus they still kept some props in from the ride before it...i cant remember the name though...natures wonderland, maybe? Anyways i think that might even make it better than HM. my opinion ofcourse. and like i said they are totally differnt ride experinces.

its so hard to choose which one i like better. lol

Comment

Originally posted by winder*wonder View Post
                    I can't explain why BTMRR doesn't get its own little party either. Maybe because the HM one is so close (the event not the actual anniversary) and they didn't want two events at nearly the same time.

Then again, I don't think they did anything for Splash Mountain's 20th. Of course, 20<30<40 - maybe that's all there is to it.

Comment

Happy Birthday Big Thunder!!
                      My absolute favorite DL ride, even though I was afraid to ride it until I was 11 or so, therefore I missed out on a few years of good rides!!
                      I will never forget the first time I rode, with my Dad. I was terrified because I hate big drops in roller coaster rides. Well, as we were heading into the biggest "drop" of the ride, into the cave, my Dad saw it coming and yelled "Oh s@#&!!" It wasn't appropiate, of course, but I cannot help but think of that everytime I ride. Since then, when I ride with my kiddies, we shout "Oh Snap!!" instead...
                      Sadly, my Dad passed away unexpectedly in April, so every time we go on Big Thunder it is a little bittersweet now, but it is nice to have so many years of memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
                        I can't explain why BTMRR doesn't get its own little party either. Maybe because the HM one is so close (the event not the actual anniversary) and they didn't want two events at nearly the same time.

Then again, I don't think they did anything for Splash Mountain's 20th. Of course, 20<30<40 - maybe that's all there is to it.
                        But that doesn't explain why they didn't celebrate Matterhorn's 50th, which was earlier this year. That's another popular ride. Why don't the mountains get any recognition on their birthday?

Splash Mountain: 20
                        Big Thunder Mountain: 30
                        Matterhorn: 50

There's space mountain, but it turned 31, so it would've been a random party for it But I think Matterhorn really deserved a party. It, like Haunted Mansion, was an original attraction Walt helped work on, and Walt actually saw the Matterhorn. Plus, instead of 40, it turned 50. After the 50th anniversary, I'd think 50 would be a pretty big number, especially for such a unique ride like Matterhorn, which has never been cloned.

Comment

Why no party? They didn't order the merchandise in time. Can't have a celebration unless we can sell you something.

BTMRR is a Disney classic and the gold standard for all runaway mine coasters. Tony Baxter did really good with this one. It has a great history behind it and has held up rather well over the years. Happy birthday!

Comment

Happy birthday to my namesake! Many happy returns to Mr. Baxter's finest work.
                            https://twitter.com/ajcurry_

Comment

Happy Birthday!
                              Putting the um in forum. Um...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X