Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Tomorrowland be a Main Street of the future?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Should Tomorrowland be a Main Street of the future?

Should Tomorrowland have the city feel that Main Street does? The lived in feeling? With shops, transport, games, and movies only in a futuristic town. I think it could solve many thimatical problems as well as give it a whole new feel.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
    (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

Re: Should Tomorrowland be a Main Street of the future?

Yes. I've said a number of times that this would be my favorite direction for TL to take.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Comment

Yes and no. I think that "lived-in" feeling is a crucial quality that Tomorrowland has always lacked, in every single one of its many incarnations. I'd really like to see that become a tangible part of the experience. However, I don't think it'd be a good idea to go too literally like Main Street. I'd rather see the place take on a spaceport/research center theme than a literal Main-Street-of-the-future theme. It would still afford plenty of opportunities to make it clear that this is a real space where real people work and live, not just some place with vaguely futuristic buildings containing rides and restaurants.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
        Yes and no. I think that "lived-in" feeling is a crucial quality that Tomorrowland has always lacked, in every single one of its many incarnations. I'd really like to see that become a tangible part of the experience. However, I don't think it'd be a good idea to go too literally like Main Street. I'd rather see the place take on a spaceport/research center theme than a literal Main-Street-of-the-future theme. It would still afford plenty of opportunities to make it clear that this is a real space where real people work and live, not just some place with vaguely futuristic buildings containing rides and restaurants.
        Wasn't Walt Disney's original idea for Epcot to a be a future utopia for people to live and work?

Comment

More or less, yep.

Comment

Definetly! Tomorrowland DEFINETLY needs a more "lived in" city feel. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a movie because of the plastic-y coverings.

Comment

As long as you don't mean literally a street lined with shops, then yes. TL definitely lacks the 'lived in' quality that the other lands (IMO) have.
              https://twitter.com/ajcurry_

Comment

Yes, Walt originally envisioned EPCOT as an actual place where up to 20,000 people lived, not just a theme park or land. The company abandoned Walt's original concept of EPCOT after his death, and went ahead and built EPCOT as a theme park only. They also founded the development of Celebration, Florida, an unincorporated community near WDW, but the company has since divested most of its control over it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X