Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

    Hi All,

    My immediate apologies for the quality of the below pics but I have a side-question related to recent discussions about the effectiveness of the new Constance vs. the old "Beating Heart" attic scene

    ( http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...d-mansion.html )

    Question 1: In the below pictures from the stretching room, is the woman on the portraits to the far left and far right of this image the same woman?



    Question 2: Is the woman supposed to be constance?

    Question 3: Is the woman from the below portrait also supposed to be the same woman (Constance?) from the above two portraits?



    Final Question: If these pictures were installed to establish the image of Constance back in the original version then do you think that it was a wise decision to change that image in the new Attic scene? To me it seems like Constance from the attic portraits and projection image doesn't look at all like the woman above. I think that Disney could have taken a more proactive approach in trying to preserve flow of the environment and the story by replicating Constance to a closer likeness of the examples above.

  • #2
    Re: Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

    As far as my knowledge goes, tightrope girl and April/December are not Constance, and not the same person. Chalk up similarities in appearance to being designed by Marc Davis in original form.

    However, the inclusion of the George bust with the axe and handlebar moustache (George is also a attic portrait husband) along with words from some people with Disney on the inside confirm the "widow" stretching portrait was intended to tie in with the new attic bride, as in, they took cues from that portrait when making the new scene. As to why they look different, for some reason, attic ghost Constance materializes as a young woman, not a old widow which she presumably lived to be, as seen in the painting.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

      Dave DeCaro can probably answer those questions and anything else regarding the Haunted Mansion. It is his all-time favorite attraction and he has had a lot about it on his blog and his web site, including discussions of those portraits recently. I would ask him first.

      Daveland Haunted Mansion Photo Page and click on "Email Dave"

      Alternatively, you could ask "Chef Mayhem," the author of the site doombuggies.com, virtually an encyclopedia of Haunted Mansion information.

      http://doombuggies.com/about2.php

      One or the other of those guys should be able to answer any of your questions, and if not I would assume it's unanswerable now.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

        IMO- I never thought the ladies in the gallery or stretching room were considered "The Bride." I always interpreted the people in the hall and room as relatives caught in their own vice and ultimate destruction- Their storyline reveals their downfall as they stretch. The 'New' attic scene is the only stand alone plot tribute to the Bride.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

          Which needs to be covered up unitl they fix her face.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

            Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
            Dave DeCaro can probably answer those questions and anything else regarding the Haunted Mansion. It is his all-time favorite attraction and he has had a lot about it on his blog and his web site, including discussions of those portraits recently. I would ask him first.

            Daveland Haunted Mansion Photo Page and click on "Email Dave"

            Alternatively, you could ask "Chef Mayhem," the author of the site doombuggies.com, virtually an encyclopedia of Haunted Mansion information.

            DoomBuggies > Explore the history and marvel at the mystery of Disney's Haunted Mansion attractions!

            One or the other of those guys should be able to answer any of your questions, and if not I would assume it's unanswerable now.
            Thank you Bob! I'll be contacting the two shortly.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

              There we are, I knew I had this image lurking about somewhere. For comparison purposes.....

              when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

                Originally posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
                As far as my knowledge goes, tightrope girl and April/December are not Constance, and not the same person. Chalk up similarities in appearance to being designed by Marc Davis in original form.

                However, the inclusion of the George bust with the axe and handlebar moustache (George is also a attic portrait husband) along with words from some people with Disney on the inside confirm the "widow" stretching portrait was intended to tie in with the new attic bride, as in, they took cues from that portrait when making the new scene. As to why they look different, for some reason, attic ghost Constance materializes as a young woman, not a old widow which she presumably lived to be, as seen in the painting.
                Yea, it makes complete sense with the tightrope and April/December girl omitted from consideration. After staring at the similarities I was wondering if there was more to the story than just the stretching tombstone portrait.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

                  Wow- I never noticed that. Still like my assessment better. Each 'new' husband keeps her looking young.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

                    Originally posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
                    As far as my knowledge goes, tightrope girl and April/December are not Constance, and not the same person. Chalk up similarities in appearance to being designed by Marc Davis in original form.

                    However, the inclusion of the George bust with the axe and handlebar moustache (George is also a attic portrait husband) along with words from some people with Disney on the inside confirm the "widow" stretching portrait was intended to tie in with the new attic bride, as in, they took cues from that portrait when making the new scene. As to why they look different, for some reason, attic ghost Constance materializes as a young woman, not a old widow which she presumably lived to be, as seen in the painting.
                    If you look in books
                    there was really no names (that I can find) given to anyone (besides George)
                    Since the upgrade (if not mistaken), Disney took the liberty to give her a name and (as stated above) tie her stretching portrait w/ "Constance" in the attic.
                    Quote by Al:
                    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                    -Al Lutz


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

                      Originally posted by eforest View Post
                      IMO- I never thought the ladies in the gallery or stretching room were considered "The Bride."
                      and that's how the ghost host says it....

                      "Our tour begins here in this gallery
                      Where you see paintings of some of guests as they appeared in the corruptable, mortal state"
                      Quote by Al:
                      To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                      -Al Lutz


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

                        Wow! I need to pay more attention to the details in this ride! Love the comparison images, DarkFairy! Thank you! Details like this makes the ride more interesting to me. I should be writing this down.....
                        sigpic
                        Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!


                        Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!


                        Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

                          "Haunted Mansion was built over an Ancient Indian Burial Site...."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

                            Originally posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
                            Wow! I need to pay more attention to the details in this ride! Love the comparison images, DarkFairy! Thank you! Details like this makes the ride more interesting to me. I should be writing this down.....
                            I need to stop making out with my wife on this attraction!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Summoning all Haunted Mansion Fans!! Need help with some historical info.

                              Originally posted by sediment View Post
                              I need to stop making out with my wife on this attraction!!
                              No, no! Don't stop! Otherwise, what would castmembers watch on all the hidden cameras throughout the attraction?
                              MiceChat from Main Street.
                              MiceChat goes mobile with the Mouseaddict app for iPhone and iPad! Keep up to date with the latest blogs and columns, chat live with MiceChatters inside and outside of the parks, plan your next move with Addictometer wait times and crowd level mapping, see showtimes and set reminders for dining, shows and FastPass, and find anything in the resort — from attractions to sidewalk carts.

                              Learn more and download free at mouseaddict.com.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X