Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Disneyland close for the day (again) due to the rain?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Could Disneyland close for the day (again) due to the rain?

    Yes, it did happen once. I know, because I was heading out to Disneyland in the 1987 to pick up a Christmas gift for a friend. The rains were torrential all week (much like this week is supposed to be), but I braved the storm, drove the 45+ minute drive in pounding thunderstorm, only to be greeted by a large "Disneyland Closed" sign. I couldn't believe it! With no other choice, I went right back home, and sure enough on the news, they reported it was the first time Disneyland had closed due to weather in something like over 10 years or more.

    Don't believe me? Read about it here (scroll down to the year 1987): http://www.examiner.com/x-4645-Wilmington-Weather-Examiner~y2009m12d15-Weather-History-December-16-Record-Warm-Cold-Snowstorm-Ice-Windstorm--SuperTyphoon-Paka

    So it's happened before. Does anyone else remember this? Do you have a story to share about it? And could it happen again?
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

  • #2
    Re: Could Disneyland close for the day (again) due to the rain?

    Since that was 23 years ago and so many things have been upgraded and changed since then, I don't think they will ever close Disneyland because of the rain. With the place becoming a "resort" not just one park, I think it will do everything it can to be open for it's guests. I am sure not attraction will be open and running within the 2 parks, but I don't think the park itself will close.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Could Disneyland close for the day (again) due to the rain?

      I agree, they would not close unless it was a "safety issue". They have to pay the CM's whether they are open or not, so even low crowds would make it economically unsound to close. That and there are enough covered ques and inside attractions to keep the place going.


      "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

      -Walt Disney

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Could Disneyland close for the day (again) due to the rain?

        They closed a couple of hours early Monday didn't they?
        Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror



        Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
        Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Could Disneyland close for the day (again) due to the rain?

          Originally posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
          I agree, they would not close unless it was a "safety issue". They have to pay the CM's whether they are open or not, so even low crowds would make it economically unsound to close. That and there are enough covered ques and inside attractions to keep the place going.
          because most CM's are part-time or temporary, they don't have to pay them if they close. they just send them home. Monday they were sending them home in droves before they even clocked in...which sucks by the way, if you just spent the time getting ready to go, parking, riding the shuttle over etc.
          Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror



          Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
          Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Could Disneyland close for the day (again) due to the rain?

            I was working at Disney that day back in 87. The rains in prior days had been a downpour and Main Street was more like a river, standing water every where. The ponchos work for water falling from the sky but all that standing water soaked the feet of guest. The weather forecasters predicted the "Mother of all storms" and given the last few days Disney decided to not open that day. As it turned out, the rain was not as bad as predicted and was not any worse than the prior few days, though still miserable. As far as the employees go, they just send them home early.
            Could it happen again, well the drainage is no different in the park than back in 87 so the park could swamp up again. The attendance now is so much more than back then that they could more than likely make money on a really horrible rainy day.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Could Disneyland close for the day (again) due to the rain?

              They will close early if the park doesn't have many guests. However, unless there are dangerous conditions which would make the park unsafe for cast members and guests, they wouldn't close the park too early.

              Think about all the extreme weather at the Florida parks. And they stay open unless a hurricane is right on top of them.
              MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

              Find us on Facebook:

              .

              How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,














              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Could Disneyland close for the day (again) due to the rain?

                With the park scheduled to close at 8 I would guess a 6 PM close if the rain is heavy and steady.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Could Disneyland close for the day (again) due to the rain?

                  yeah they closed at 8 on monday
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Could Disneyland close for the day (again) due to the rain?

                    We had planned to go to the park today, but decided to postpone till next week. I just don't want to get there and find out they're closing very early or that it's pouring so hard we will have to swim to get from one thing to another.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Could Disneyland close for the day (again) due to the rain?

                      Originally posted by Neff man View Post
                      I was working at Disney that day back in 87. The rains in prior days had been a downpour and Main Street was more like a river, standing water every where. The ponchos work for water falling from the sky but all that standing water soaked the feet of guest. The weather forecasters predicted the "Mother of all storms" and given the last few days Disney decided to not open that day. As it turned out, the rain was not as bad as predicted and was not any worse than the prior few days, though still miserable. As far as the employees go, they just send them home early.
                      Could it happen again, well the drainage is no different in the park than back in 87 so the park could swamp up again. The attendance now is so much more than back then that they could more than likely make money on a really horrible rainy day.
                      I'm glad someone else remembers this! There doesn't seem to be much written about it.

                      I do agree with the drainage not being all that different... there were already pics earlier this week of Main Street being pretty flooded, to the point where ducks were swimming down it. Will more rains later on make Disney give it up?

                      Although with all the current numbers of APer's, I'm sort of guessing not. Too many people seem to show up, regardless of the weather.
                      Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Could Disneyland close for the day (again) due to the rain?

                        Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                        They will close early if the park doesn't have many guests. However, unless there are dangerous conditions which would make the park unsafe for cast members and guests, they wouldn't close the park too early.

                        Think about all the extreme weather at the Florida parks. And they stay open unless a hurricane is right on top of them.
                        And even with that, we all experienced the FL parks a few years ago during a Tropical Storm with little issues.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Could Disneyland close for the day (again) due to the rain?

                          I really want to go to Disneyland this week because no one will be there (my boyfriend and I have annual passes and with the rain it's the perfect time to go) but this storm is NASTY. I'm in Temecula and it hasn't been as bad as OC so I'm curious.. is it worth it to drive out tomorrow and go tomorrow perhaps? How was the park today?

                          Comment

                          Ad Widget

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X