This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Pictures] Disneyland - Old Photos and Ephemera Thread

Seeing as both I and my father have a lot of this sort of thing saved up, may as well share it. Both old and new, from 1955 to present day, shall be shared here: postcards, guidebooks, interesting photos both personal and scanned, tickets, whatever I come across

For those new to this thread or returning both, there is new material being uploaded at the end/current last page on a daily basis or after requests that I can fill. All comments and requests are truly very much appreciated, and share your own material if you have it!

Fantasyland from an unknown specific date, likely late 1950's. Note the houses, dirt roads, and such behind the park boundary, the cement pond for the Pirate Ship, and mysterious open grass beyond Fantasyland and the castle towards front of the photo.

Eager children in their fancy duds accept popcorn from a Main Street vendor, from a 1957 park guidebook.

Claude Coats' masterpiece, the Rainbow Caverns deep inside the mine ride through Nature's Wonderland

An extensive list of the park's attractions, shops, and dining from the back cover of a 1957 guidebook:

Rather nice rendition of the Matterhorn from a Little Golden Book entitled "Donald Duck in Disneyland"

And to bring it to the modern era, a Disneyland guidemap from October 2009.

There is plenty more to come, shout out if you like this, and post your own materials! I look forward to sharing as long as there is interest Enjoy!
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 08-14-2010, 11:49 AM.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

re: Disneyland - Old Photos and Ephemera Thread

Bump since I posted this at the worst time, dead of night heh...

Comment

Originally posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
      Bump since I posted this at the worst time, dead of night heh...
      Haha. I know what that's like.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at old photos of the parks and older guidebooks and art.
      I love that depiction of the Matterhorn. I wish my family had cool hand-me-downs like this. Problem is that they didn't even live in California till maybe the 70s...? And no one really thought it'd be a good idea to save stuff back then I guess.

Comment

I love this stuff - thank you for sharing! Can't wait to see more.

Comment

OOoooOOOooo, me likey! More please :thumbup:
          What time is the 3 o'clock parade?

http://www.myspace.com/pduliere

Comment

when my daughter was younger, about 6 yrs ago, I used to have this little golden book about Small World. It was about a little boy who went to Disneyland with his orphanage. He feels left out and alone, like he didn't fit in. Then he stumbles onto It's a Small World ride and he sees all the children from around the world and realises that he does belong no matter what race, or color. I really wish I could find that book again. It was so cute.

Comment

Originally posted by lou_mom View Post
              when my daughter was younger, about 6 yrs ago, I used to have this little golden book about Small World. It was about a little boy who went to Disneyland with his orphanage. He feels left out and alone, like he didn't fit in. Then he stumbles onto It's a Small World ride and he sees all the children from around the world and realises that he does belong no matter what race, or color. I really wish I could find that book again. It was so cute.

I JUST bought that book (along with a cassette tape of the story) at a rummage sale a couple of weekends ago. You are right. It is really cute!

I love the idea of this thread and will share things I have when I can!

Sara
              WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
              DLR: 1999, 2009
              DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
              http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

Comment

More please ... from regions beyond.
                Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Thank you all for the comments, and ask and you shall receive!

You could stay at the Tropicana, with the Monorail zipping by just across the street, and a view of the tippy-top of the Matterhorn.

This bit of obscurity comes from a book called "Disneyland World of Flowers": the seating area for the Pirate Ship/Tuna Boat

The Hitchhiking Ghosts make a rather grim appearance in the SLG Haunted Mansion comic series:

And last but not least, some guests enjoying the old barrel bridge on Tom Sawyer Island, as the Mark Twain comes around the bend.

Comment

This is a great thread! I sure hope there's more.. :beg:

Comment

Fantastic stuff! Thank you for posting and I can't wait to see more. Those aerial shots of Pre-1982 Fantasyland always astound me!
                      Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Cruise: Disney Fantasy 13

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

Comment

Thank you both for the comments! May do some digging later on and see what might go into a next batch

Comment

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

I only wish I could go back in time to see what Disneyland once was...
                          I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Comment

Here's another batch 'o stuff:

From a 1957 guidebook, Sheriff Lucky collars that no good outlaw Black Bart on the streets of Frontierland

Postcard of the Jungle Cruise "tribal village" (Let me see if I can translate..... )

Early Haunted Mansion merchandise folder (likely for viewmaster reel or postcards)

A personal slide taken in 1978 by my father, of the original Submarine Voyage.

That's it for now, and thank you all for looking!

Comment

Ack, this tends to vanish fast.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X