Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report - November 10-26, 2010 (Photo Heavy)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report - November 10-26, 2010 (Photo Heavy)

Disney trip! I would love to be able to say that it was our 10th Disneyland trip but for various reasons we took a hiatus last year and vacationed at DisneyWorld instead. That excursion was most likely a once in a lifetime trip for us. Our goal at the time was to try the park on the opposite coast for comparison and to spend some time with some friends who live in Florida while we were there. The trip was okay but not quite all that we had hoped for. Actually, it really ended up confirming exactly what I had expected all along. Our hearts belong to Disneyland and from here on out we will be sticking to the west coast. Anyway, after having missed making it to our favorite park in 2009 we have now thrown the whole darn trip count all out of whack! Now I have to settle with saying that this was only our long awaited 9th annual trip to Disneyland. So you see having to skip a year to see our beloved Disneyland
    Last edited by mariezp; 02-19-2011, 04:57 PM. Reason: Added warning that report is photo heavy.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-15

Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report November 2010
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1056434199
    Our First Trip to WDW December 2009
    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...16-2009-a.html
    November 2008 trip report! Updated 1/13/09!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...23-2008-a.html

Re: Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report - November 10-26, 2010

Day 2, November 11, 2010

After a rough night of sleep because my DD kept waking me up I still managed to wake up ready to go to the park. First days are just that way! Since it was our first day and I wanted us to all enter the park together I patiently waited for the guys to wake up. Thankfully, they did not sleep all day. We actually made it to the turnstiles about 9:30 which is good for us because we are definitely not park opening sort of people. We stopped at the little gift area just before you enter the tunnel on the left to pick up a disposable camera for my son since he had decided he would jump right in and be taking pictures this trip too. Next, we headed though the magical tunnel and were transported into the Happiest Place on Earth. It was wonderful!!! So great to be back!

We made our way down Main Street and stopped in at the Market House for coffee, cappuccinos and our first sweet treat inside the park, gingerbread cookies! Yummo! I’ve never really cared for gingerbread all that much but I do have to say that Disneyland makes the best! And, just so you will know the chocolate dipped ears are the very best part! A drink in one hand, a cookie in the other we headed on down to the annual pass center to get our mug shots….err…. I mean photos taken and passes processed. What a wonderful feeling to be an annual passholder again! :love: My DH loves feeling like a VIP because he has a ticket with his photo on it and not one of those plain old paper tickets. I especially like the idea of knowing that having one of these babies doubles the likelihood that we will make it back again before the year is up.

Ahhh the joy of becoming an AP holder! Just look at their happy little faces!

Now that we had that important step out of the way the next logical thing to do was go ride something! The family voted unanimously to make POTC our first ride since it is pretty much everybody’s favorite and typically our traditional first ride every year. A short wait and we were drifting through that wonderful swamp. The BB was not opened for lunch yet and the area was empty and beautiful. It was also so very quiet for a change which was so cool. All you could hear was the sound of the swamp… crickets chirping, frogs croaking, and that wonderful banjo being played… all so much better than dishes crashing, and the rumbling, mumbling background noise coming from a restaurant full of noisy people. I wished I had snapped a picture but at this point I was too busy soaking up the atmosphere and just so happy to be back at DL so I hadn’t quite gotten in the frame of mind to start whipping the camera out just yet. As a matter of fact, this first ride was all sentimental and I didn’t end up taking a single picture!

Since we were already in the area next we decided on HM, another family favorite. First the guys ran over to Splash and nabbed some FPs and then we hopped in line. The line seemed very long but as it turned out they had not moved the chains in the queue line yet so it wasn’t making all the twist and turns towards the side of the building but went straight in the front door which just made it look like it was backed up. The line here moves amazingly fast so in what seemed like hardly any time we were inside visiting with the happy haunts and singing along with the NBC song. I really like Madame Leota’s new spiffy ornament that she was floating around in. It may have been there last year but it was new to me. I love this ride and always find something new. This year I could really smell that gingerbread!

Next up was Pooh. Usually, if we are on that end of the park DS and DH end up riding Splash. We wanted to take my DS on it because he never gets to ride it. He grew up watching Pooh bear and still enjoys reading the books so it only seemed fitting that we make an effort to get him in there! Wouldn’t you know it! We get there and the line was longer than I have ever seen it! No matter. We are just happy to be here so we wait. Normally I don’t mind waiting at all. Lines are just part of the fun and we always come up with something fun to do like people watch or annoy each other or chit chat while we wait BUT this was one of those rare occasions when we had annoying people in front of us. There was a family who had a little boy who was climbing all over the wall and climbing up in the bushes. He was all over the place trampling stuff and they were just oblivious. Well, not totally. They were snapping pictures because little Johnny or whatever the heck his name was was just so darn cute! Grrrr! Some people just have no respect or concept of how much work goes into trying to keep the park beautiful. It’s a peeve of mine to see people behave like that cause I am just a little protective of our happy place. Anyway, we made it through the line with me biting my tongue the whole way. I eventually pulled out the camera and took pictures to keep myself distracted.

DS did end up enjoying the ride and I even got the chance to point out the Country Bear tribute to everyone.

When we got through the Splash FPs weren’t in effect yet so we decided to grab a bite to eat while we waited. Since the Harbour Galley was right around the corner and we had not been there since they stopped selling McDonald’s fries (boo!) we decided to give the clam chowder a try. Seemed to 3 of us that they had changed the recipe and it just was not as good as it used to be. Too many peppers and the flavor changed. Just guessing that they came up with some new and improved healthier recipe. Bah humbug! I’d prefer they just leave a few of our favorites alone. Anyhoo….. even though we were disappointed with the food we did at least enjoy the quiet spot we found to sit in behind the building over by the water. When we were through DD and I took the bread bowl tops and fed the ducks off a bridge over by the Hungry Bear while the guys rode on Splash.

Emma shared her bread with 2 boys. They were very nice and polite and even thanked her. One of them accidently dropped a bottle into the water. They were determined to retrieve it. It kept us entertained to watch them as one held on to his brother’s feet as he was precariously hanging upside down over the water. He was successful and managed to nab the bottle and deposit it in a nearby trashcan. A little unorthodox and I am not even sure I would have allowed my own child to do the same thing but I was very proud to see a couple of young men aware enough to care about taking care of their surroundings and not just assuming that someone else would come along to clean up after them. Kuddos to the parents for their parenting skills!

We had a grocery delivery arriving soon so we needed to head back to our room. We hopped on the train to to save ourselves a few steps and catch a ride back to Main Street. Along the way we spotted the sails above NOS.

I also pointed out to my family the bullet hole as we headed through the Primeval World. Of course, they were wowed with my vast accumulated knowledge of the park.

We made it back to the Desert Inn and I thought I would check with the front desk to see if our groceries had gotten there early. Glad I decided to drop in because indeed they had delivered them ahead of schedule and had been stored in their breakfast room for me. We loaded the goods on a luggage buggy and made it back to the room. I was annoyed to find that Von’s had goofed. They left off DH’s sausage and biscuits and substituted some nasty chocolate chip muffins for DS’s banana nut muffins. Going to have to think twice before ordering from them again! Thankfully, they did have a capable customer service person who issued a refund for the missing muffins but I was still a bit miffed because they had really screwed up our breakfast plans…. which really was one of the main reasons I had ordered to begin with. After storing the groceries we did receive we hung out in the room and rested awhile.

We headed back to the park about 4:00 to try to catch the Veteran’s Day Flag Retreat Ceremony. It’s one of those things I’ve always intended to see but had just never gotten around to. Unfortunately we really should have gotten back to the park a little earlier because there was already quite a crowd and we were not really able to find a decent spot. We stayed anyway even though we couldn’t really see much but at least we could hear and sing along with the National Anthem. It is now one of the things that I am able to mark off my list.

My DD is generally pretty cooperative with all my picture taking but….. on occasion even she gets annoyed with me. Actually, she was exaggerating a bit but I fairly sure she was getting a little bored with the waiting. Not quite at an age to really appreciate the ceremony.

Of course, a big brother is even more annoying! Here’s the response he got!

We decided to make our way over to the info board and check the wait times and to see what time the Hungry Bear closed. DH had requested that we eat there since we had not done so in a very long time. It seldom ever seems to be open when we are there but it was this time so off we went to Critter Country. DS ran and grabbed a turkey leg and met us in the dining area overlooking the ducks. Now I have to say that the burgers they make looks very appealing. However, I have no idea how a burger can be so bland. I added 2 packets of salt and it was still pretty flavorless.

We set out after our meal and headed towards Fantasyland. The plan was that we were going to show the guys around and let them see what it is like to actually ride all the rides. In their usual mode they tend to only ride the “big rides” and never take the time to stand around in the lines for rides such as can be found in FL. We started with a nice long wait in line for Alice. It really wasn’t too bad. The only really memorable thing that happened was that I got clunked in the head by a toddler’s teddy bear. Thankfully, it was a nice soft fluffy fellow.

Anyway, plans do tend to change and in this case after the wait, one ride on Alice and the inability to agree on what to ride next the guys decided to skip the rest of our tour and strike out on their own. DD and I really didn’t mind because we actually probably do accomplish more on our own. It is much easier for the two of us to agree on a course of action and we can go at our own pace. DD wanted to ride the carousel so off we went.

Next was Dumbo. While we were waiting in line DD and I had a long conversation with a local young lady who was there with her young son. She had some other family members off elsewhere in the park. She was telling us that her uncle had proposed in the park a few days earlier. Awwww!

I tried to catch a picture of Small World as we whizzed around up high but alas I had no luck. This is the best I could do. It probably didn’t help that DD and I were in giggle mode the whole time. I do love catching a glimpse of the lovely twinkly lights from a lofty pachyderm! Everything else looks really pretty from up there too!

We decided to take a late night ride on Casey Junior. I really wish my DD didn’t enjoy those cages so much! They are slightly cramped for an adult but we did manage to squeeze me in and off we went. Such a pretty ride at night!

We almost decided to ride Peter Pan but as usual the line was long so we drifted around a bit, grabbed some popcorn and stumbled upon some really pretty window displays.

When I had done my fill of taking pictures we wound up heading towards Adventureland through one of the side roads through the castle.

We rode the Jungle Cruise and had a pretty good skipper. Then we headed over to the Tiki Room.

I was still wanting to ride Peter Pan so we checked on it and again the line was huge so we passed by and continued on to the Carousel again. This ride I was unfortunate enough to saddle up next to a girl who was seriously wrapped up in her own little world. She was flipping the leather strap this way and that and smacked me in the back and never even had a clue she had done it. It didn’t really hurt so I didn’t even mention it. Then, as if that wasn’t enough before the ride was over, on the other side of my trusty steed, I got kicked in the shin by a little boy. It just wasn’t my night. Still glad we did cause these ended up being some of my favorite photos of my DD.

Still ever determined to carry on in Fantasyland, we made our way through the crowd and rode the Teacups.

Next was Storybookland. Kids have the best memory! The last time we were in DL was in 2008. On that trip my DD had made up a story about having an invisible hamster. Lo and behold, she brought him again. And, just so you know he did not jump off the boat and into the water this time.

Poor Harold came out such a blur. He must have been turning that popcorn really fast!

We were starting to get a bit tired so we decided to make Nemo our last ride of the night. I made a quick phone call and the guys came over to join us. I was really glad we thought of it because when we got there we had only about a 3 minute wait. You can’t do that during the day!

On our way out of the park we stopped off at the candy shop and then headed back to the hotel. Poor DD ended up getting a spot rubbed on the inside of her leg. Luckily it didn’t end up turning into a blister before we made it in for the day.

And, just on case anyone remembers my inquiries… DS did find himself a cherry slushie at the Edelweiss Snacks, just across from the Matterhorn. They also sold turkey legs so he was one happy camper! This place came in very handy several times on our trip.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-15

Comment

Great report : ) Loved reading it

Comment

Great trip report and pictures. Where is home? Arizona? Scorpion in bathroom, I don't think I would sleep well either.

Comment

It's never too late to do a trip report.

I wish that I could remember enough from my most recent trip to include as much commentary as you have included here. I guess the brain is failing, after all.

Great pictures. I look forward to seeing more.
          BarbaraAnn

Comment

Looks like you put some hard work into this trip report. Worth the time to read and view. Job well done.

And 3 minute or less wait lines are the BEST!

Comment

What a great Trip report!!! I love to see people enjoying Disneyland as much as it looks like you all did in those pics. It truly is a magical place and one can not help but be filled with overcoming Joy. Keep them coming.

Comment

Awesome report!

Comment

Cool! I have readers! :yea: Guess I will make a few responses before I continue on with my report.

Originally posted by Chip and Dale View Post
                  Great report : ) Loved reading it
                  Thanks for reading along. I am glad you are enjoying it. Stay tuned. There's still lots more to come.

Originally posted by Jazziered View Post
                  Great trip report and pictures. Where is home? Arizona? Scorpion in bathroom, I don't think I would sleep well either.
                  Thank you for joining me as I recount our trip! It is so much fun to share and even better when I hear that people are liking the report.

Home is actually in Texas. Scorpions are definitely one of my not so favorite critters that occasionally show up here.

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                  It's never too late to do a trip report.

I wish that I could remember enough from my most recent trip to include as much commentary as you have included here. I guess the brain is failing, after all.

Great pictures. I look forward to seeing more.
                  I know that I was hoping late was better than not at all! I know I love reading reports no matter when the trip actually happened. Of course, I am just happy to read anything about the park. I noticed that you have a new report too so I am going to have to head over there as soon as I can to see how your trip went. Thanks for joining me on mine!

As far as brain's failing... you will have to count me in on that! I have a memory like a sieve! The only way I "remember" is because I make sure to write down notes every evening before I go to bed when we are on our trip. Thankfully some of it filters back to me as I am going back and posting photos to the report. If I had to count on my memory alone this would end up being a VERY short trip report indeed! :lol:

Originally posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
                  Looks like you put some hard work into this trip report. Worth the time to read and view. Job well done.

And 3 minute or less wait lines are the BEST!
                  Thank you! Have to warn you though. I am just getting started! Only up to day 2 and we were there for 15 days! More to come soon.

The only bad thing about 3 minute waits is that they don't happen very often!

Originally posted by PoisonAppleDear View Post
                  What a great Trip report!!! I love to see people enjoying Disneyland as much as it looks like you all did in those pics. It truly is a magical place and one can not help but be filled with overcoming Joy. Keep them coming.
                  Thank you for your kind words. I am very lucky that I have a family that loves Disneyland almost as much as I do. It is without a doubt my favorite place!

Originally posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
                  Awesome report!
                  Thank you! I hope you stay with me and enjoy the rest!

So now that I have responded to my wonderful readers I guess I had better add some more to keep their attention. I also saw that my report made the Micechat Round-Up! :thumbup: Thanks guys! Looks like the pressure is on to keep this report flowing. Day 3 coming right up!
                  Last edited by mariezp; 02-16-2011, 08:31 PM. Reason: added thank you!
                  Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-15

Comment

Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-15

Comment

Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-15

Comment

Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-15

Comment

Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-15

Comment

I am really loving your report. So many great photos, and so much interesting commentary. It makes me remember the great trip I had back in 2008 at Christmastime.
                            BarbaraAnn

Comment

I always love seeing the park though other's eyes. Nice TR Mariezp!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X