Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Space-Age motels.

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] The Space-Age motels.

    Does anyone else recall the Stovall's Space-Age Motels of the '60s, '70s and '80s? Does anyone have pictures of them? Whatever happened to them? These motels were spectacular and attractions in their own right. Some of them had their own topiary gardens. They were fine examples of Googie architecture. They looked like motels the Jetsons would have stayed in.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

    I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

    Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

    There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

  • #2
    Re: The Space-Age motels.

    There is a " sPace age lodge" or somthing like that in gila bend arizona... It's pretty 60's looking. Google it I'm sure there are pics

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The Space-Age motels.

      I certainly remember seeing those places, but I admit I was focused on the distant Matterhorn and never took any photos.
      First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
      First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
      BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The Space-Age motels.

        This site has a lot of stuff.

        Go to the Anaheim Archives section.

        Googie Architecture Online

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The Space-Age motels.

          This site has a lot of photos, too:

          Synthetrix - Photos of the Forgotten

          More here and here.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The Space-Age motels.

            Yes!! As a kid of about 7 years of age I stayed there with my family in 1968 and it was the greatest. 20 years later I took my new wife there and lets just say, it had gone down hill. Way, way down hill. We looked at the room and decided to go to the brand new Fair Field hotel instead.
            But in its day it was a really fun place to stay.


            Thanks Dfan07 for posting that link. Seeing those old photo's of the then spectacular hotel as it was in my youth brought back great memories. I distinctly remember the lamps and partitions in the rooms along with the nice pool complete with slide. What a great time it was!
            Last edited by ScottG; 04-30-2011, 06:14 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The Space-Age motels.

              I remember some of those properties. Stovall's Inn of Tomorrow is still there as Stovall's Inn. Space Age Lodge is still there as Stovall's Pavillions. Cosmic Age Lodge still stands today as the Candy Cane Inn. Apollo Inn was demolished since it was on West St south of the Disneyland Hotel. Stardust on Ball Rd is still around and still bore the Stardust name through 2005. I think it might be owned by Travelodge or something. I don't know if you remember some kind of glitter like material in the popcorn ceilings of these motels, but after Stardust remodeled, they painted stars with day glo paint. All you had to was turn off your lights and turn on the in-room blacklights for a little while and the stars continue to glow after turning off the black light. I seem to remember seeing a shuttle in the '80s that said Astro Inn on the side. All these Stovall space hotels had blue and green panels with holes punched in them and the canopies next the the front office all had the same look to them. I'm not sure how to describe them, but they had this distinct look about them.

              And yes, the Space Age Lodge lives on here in Arizona in Gila Bend.

              Last edited by Koutesu; 04-30-2011, 08:59 PM. Reason: Fix Youtube link

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The Space-Age motels.

                Originally posted by Koutesu View Post
                I remember some of those properties. Stovall's Inn of Tomorrow is still there as Stovall's Inn. Space Age Lodge is still there as Stovall's Pavillions. Cosmic Age Lodge still stands today as the Candy Cane Inn. Apollo Inn was demolished since it was on West St south of the Disneyland Hotel.
                No, the Candy Cane was always the Candy Cane. The Cosmic Age was next to it and it was the one that got torn down. The Apollo is now the Best Western Anaheim Inn across the street.

                A little movie trivia: The Cosmic Age appeared in an 80's movie called "Gleaming the Cube." Christian Slater played a skateboarder who witnessed the murder of his adopted brother in the Cosmic Age Motel and had to figure out whodunit and why. Yes, it's probably the only skater murder mystery. ) You can also see the old Candy Cane sign briefly as the kids skate down Harbor.
                Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                Charter Member

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The Space-Age motels.

                  Originally posted by Broadway Guru View Post
                  No, the Candy Cane was always the Candy Cane. The Cosmic Age was next to it and it was the one that got torn down. The Apollo is now the Best Western Anaheim Inn across the street.

                  A little movie trivia: The Cosmic Age appeared in an 80's movie called "Gleaming the Cube." Christian Slater played a skateboarder who witnessed the murder of his adopted brother in the Cosmic Age Motel and had to figure out whodunit and why. Yes, it's probably the only skater murder mystery. ) You can also see the old Candy Cane sign briefly as the kids skate down Harbor.
                  You're right! I think the recurring layout of those old motels is playing tricks on my memory plus the point at which Disneyland's driveway curves right before the hotel to access what used to be the Timon lot must be further south than when the parking lot was still there.

                  Something that seems to stick out in my mind right now about some of these space hotels are finials found either on stair railings or railings along the upper stories.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The Space-Age motels.

                    I believe the Apollo Inn was to the west of the park, south of the Paradise Pier Hotel (then the Pan Pacific) and Godfather's Pizza - across from what is now DCA. At least that's where it is in my photos when we stayed there in 1990.





                    sigpic

                    I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The Space-Age motels.

                      Originally posted by dfan07 View Post
                      This site has a lot of photos, too:

                      Synthetrix - Photos of the Forgotten

                      More here and here.
                      Been going nostalgia-nutso with just the Disney section of this page. I remember my Grandma taking me to the Sambo's on West and Katella for a hot chocolate when I was lil' squirt. Thanks for posting the link!
                      "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

                      AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The Space-Age motels.

                        Originally posted by dfan07 View Post
                        This site has a lot of photos, too:

                        Synthetrix - Photos of the Forgotten

                        More here and here.
                        Originally posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
                        Been going nostalgia-nutso with just the Disney section of this page. I remember my Grandma taking me to the Sambo's on West and Katella for a hot chocolate when I was lil' squirt. Thanks for posting the link!
                        Originally posted by Sambo View Post
                        I believe the Apollo Inn was to the west of the park, south of the Paradise Pier Hotel (then the Pan Pacific) and Godfather's Pizza - across from what is now DCA. At least that's where it is in my photos when we stayed there in 1990.

                        Thanks for the link dfan07.. This picture - West and Katella intersection 1980 shows the Apollo Inn on West st. next to the Sambos. Sometime after the Sambo's closed - it became Godfather's Pizza.

                        The Apollo Inn was an awesome space-age Populux/Googie piece of history. If it were still there - I'd stay there again.





                        sigpic

                        I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: The Space-Age motels.

                          So that makes:

                          Inn of Tomorrow=Stovall's Inn
                          Apollo-demolished
                          Cosmic Age Lodge-demolished
                          Space Age=Pavilions
                          Stardust=Travelodge

                          But that leaves two Best Westerns unaccounted for: the Park Place and the Anaheim. I'm sure BW bought the whole chain when Al Stovall retired. Anybody know?
                          Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                          Charter Member

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: The Space-Age motels.

                            Originally posted by Broadway Guru View Post
                            So that makes:

                            Inn of Tomorrow=Stovall's Inn
                            Apollo-demolished
                            Cosmic Age Lodge-demolished
                            Space Age=Pavilions
                            Stardust=Travelodge

                            But that leaves two Best Westerns unaccounted for: the Park Place and the Anaheim. I'm sure BW bought the whole chain when Al Stovall retired. Anybody know?
                            Best Westerns are independently owned and operated. The owners just pay royalties for the Best Western affiliation. My mom is head housekeeper at the Dobson Ranch Inn here in Mesa, Az and she said the owners decided not to renew with Best Western, so the hotel will continue without that affiliation. The only benefit is a so called employee discount, but it seems lately you don't find that discount in the Disneyland area. The Cypress in Stanton was where we were able to last get a discount and it's way over on Knott Ave and Katella. So my guess would be the Stovall hotels were simply sold off to new owners.

                            I'm not sure what the Park Place or Anaheim could have been before. The name "Galactic Motor Inn" sticks out in my mind right now. I want to say it shared the Cosmic Age Lodge site, but I'm not sure the hotel actually used to be located. I know I stayed at Abby's Anaheimer Inn when it used to be a Best Western, but I don't recall it having a space theme. I remember the Best Western Station Inn had a western theme and was located next the Sheraton on Ball and I-5, tucked into the very corner. That place used to get sprinkled with ash from the fireworks.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: The Space-Age motels.

                              I found this site, which gives a lot of good history and before/after pictures of the periphery property. It says the Park Place Inn used to be the Mecca Motel and on the site of Capt. Kidd's :yuck: was the very classy looking Tangier Restaurant. (The buildings look so different that the original restaurant must have been pulled down.) I seem to remember a Chinese restaurant here some time ago as well.

                              Still no information on the Anaheim Inn. I'm sure I remember seeing a photo of it in its mid-century days, looking oh-so-Space Age.
                              Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                              Charter Member

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X