Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1960's Disneyland Hotel-early photoshop?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Pictures] 1960's Disneyland Hotel-early photoshop?

An Ebay auction win last week produced some unexpected interesting tidbits regarding the Disneyland Hotel. The brochure below was distributed various years in the early to mid 60's. Notice the "Hotel Disneyland" at the top of the first Tower Building. Also notice the three adults, small child and the waiter.

Now have a look at the same setting and the same people in the picture, only this one is black and white.

Where is the "Hotel Disneyland" at the top of the Tower Building? I don't know when Photoshop was invented but this appears to be an early attempt at altering a photo. This is also not the first time a photo from the Disneyland Hotel was imbellished. I will post the mysterious Disneyland Hotel sign postcard a bit later on in this thread.

Additionally, I will also post some dates and details on when this "Hotel Disneyland" sign was erected.
    sigpicwww.magicalhotel.com

Re: 1960's Disneyland Hotel-early photoshop?

Good eye.
    sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Originally posted by Druggas View Post
      Good eye.
      I just got a new color shot of the same scene, also without the sign at top. Same people, same sitting. I will post this just as soon as it comes in the mail and I can scan it.

---------- Post added 07-14-2011 at 08:49 AM ----------

Below is the application for a building permit to the city of Anaheim to construct a sign at the Disneyland Hotel. It is dated 30 August 1963. The dimensions of the sign are 47' 6" X 13' and 78' X 13'-the larger width would be for the word Disneyland at the top. Cost for this sign would be $18,000 from the Fedral Sign and Signal Corporation. I had previous documentation of no sign being present up to some time in September, 1963.

Comment

Another great find, Don!

Photoshop 1.0 came out in 1990. Before that, retouching was done by hand. Besides print ads, postcards were often retouched.

Looks like in the color postcard, they were so focused on adding "Hotel Disneyland" that they missed removing the person sitting at the table in the background, who appears to "grow out of" the man's head!
        "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
        Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
        imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Another funny thing about both pictures. Based on my recollection, there never was a table at the location where the people are sitting. This would have been located at a main entrance/exit to the pool and I don't ever remember a table being there. I also remember a picture of a car in the same location for a photo shoot with a fashion model.

Comment

Those chairs are the definition of elegance!

Comment

Originally posted by oldhotelguy View Post
              Another funny thing about both pictures. Based on my recollection, there never was a table at the location where the people are sitting. This would have been located at a main entrance/exit to the pool and I don't ever remember a table being there. I also remember a picture of a car in the same location for a photo shoot with a fashion model.
              Yep -- looks like they used a table and chairs from the pool and set them up at the head of the stairs, where anyone coming up the stairs would run right into it. Makes a nice composition with the background trees and early Sierra Tower North, though.

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                Yep -- lMakes a nice composition with the background trees and early Sierra Tower North, though.
                I was thinking the same thing myself. The Tower is perfectly framed into the picture.

Comment

Love the retouched "Hotel Disneyland". Wonderful find!
                  MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

Fascinating! Thanks for the fun photos. My dad took home movies of this, so I'll have to re-check. Did the sign ever say "hotel Disneyland"? I thought it always said Disneyland Hotel.
                    sigpic

Comment

^ It was "Hotel Disneyland" because the configuration of the early Sierra Tower didn't allow space for "Disneyland" on the south (left) side.

When the south tower was added, expanding the Sierra to its current size, the sign was changed to "Disneyland Hotel."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Here is another "enhanced" photograph used for a 1950's postcard.

The Disneyland Hotel sign on the upper right was drawn in for this picture. In reality, there never was a picture facing this direction. There was a similar sign which was originally placed at the head of the administartion building and later moved to the West Street entrance in 1957. This is the famous Disneyland Hotel sign you see in Monorail approach pictures like below.

I'll bet many of you did not know that the above sign in the picture was moved from its original location in 1957. Below is a picture when it was at its original location again, at the end of the administration building. They also added the marquee below it and raised the height of the poles.

Comment

Thanks for the great stuff Don...MORE!!

Comment

Did anyone else notice that in the original post, the child in the picture changes positions?

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyRoyalty View Post
                              Did anyone else notice that in the original post, the child in the picture changes positions?
                              Yes, they all are in slightly different positions. The two women are fairly close in each photo. The photos are probably just seconds apart. I should be getting another large color picture of the same scene any day now. When I do, I will post it here. Maybe the people will have even changed position again.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X