This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Parade Lights

This might seem like a silly question to some but I'm actually clueless on the subject. Why are there parade lights? Don't the majority of parades take place during the day?
    sigpic

It's Fun to do the Impossible
    - Walt Disney

[

Re: Parade Lights

because during this time of year it gets dark early and the lights come in use and the parade looks even better this time of year.
    Originally posted by Theme Park Penguin View Post
    This might seem like a silly question to some but I'm actually clueless on the subject. Why are there parade lights? Don't the majority of parades take place during the day?

Comment

Parades also take place at night, and they also take place when it's standard time. It gets dark much earlier but parade schedules likely stay the same thus the need for special lighting.

Comment

WDW MK needs to take after DL, and DCA when it comes to lighting. They Try to do it for the Halloween and Christmas events, but thats it. Granted MK does not have a daytime parade performing at night like DL and DCA.

I heard WDW Hates special lighting.... and I dont understand why? because they can do soo much with it.

Comment

Originally posted by DFL86 View Post
          I heard WDW Hates special lighting.... and I dont understand why? because they can do soo much with it.
          Because it is an extra expense which is something that park doesn't do.
          "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Many of the lights along the parade route, especially main street, were installed for the Light Magic parade many moons ago that was a complete flop...but they have kept the fixed lights on the parade route for an added element of theatrics.

Comment

"Many of the lights along the parade route, especially main street, were installed for the Light Magic parade many moons ago that was a complete flop...but they have kept the fixed lights on the parade route for an added element of theatrics."

Actually, most of the parade lights had been there for years. The towers that hold the lights in Small World Mall were new, but most were the same locations as the previous light poles.

Light Magic added 4 towers on Main Street roof tops and 4 locations in Small World Mall if I remember correctly. Everything else was already there. They also added the Small World Sign location.

The poles along the DL route have always been 8 of the Thomas weather pars (I believe there are 6 different colors, but can't remember for sure). There was also added infrastructure for moving lights and additional effects.

DCA towers since the beginning have been 8 Thomas pars (4 with scrollers) and space for effects (bubble machines, confetti, etc.) They, too, have custom colors picked.

Comment

ORGOCH: Fer once it sounds like the lights is on AND somebody's home!

Comment

They also stay on after the fireworks and parades as standard nighttime lighting for a while so people can see where they're going!
                  :ap:

Comment

Originally posted by DFL86 View Post
                    MK uses ONE spotlight to light up their night parades (like Halloween or Christmas). I also don't understand why they didn't think of using the ones that Disneyland has. Hong Kong Disneyland, DCA, Disneyland Paris all use lights like those. Hong Kong even has ultra violet lights for the Halloween parade!

Comment

We also have 7 PM parades on weekdays now, and if any of you joined to AP Event, our parades were at 9:30. Lights are very helpful!! If we didn't have them, I'd be running over guests. :/

Comment

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I for one think daytime parades...should run in the daytime. Nighttime parades have their own lights to illuminate the parade route. The current system of running parades at night is, in my opinion, a cheap alternative to the nighttime spectacular that should occur nightly, but does not.

The light towers are hideously out of place in all locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Ice101 View Post
                          Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I for one think daytime parades...should run in the daytime. Nighttime parades have their own lights to illuminate the parade route. The current system of running parades at night is, in my opinion, a cheap alternative to the nighttime spectacular that should occur nightly, but does not.

Then Im surprised WDW has not decided to install lights and run Celebrate A Dream Come True at night since they Love to do cheap alternative things lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Ice101 View Post

What makes a parade a day time parade or night time parade? Who gets to decide that?

Also, what is considered night time? Is it when it gets dark? Having a parade at 5:30 in the afternoon in November is in the dark, but have the parade at the same time in the Summer and it's bright and sunny. I honestly dont get what you are talking about it being a cheap alternative, when Disney isnt trying to do that with the parades.
                            Last edited by Donald1980; 10-20-2011, 08:11 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by Donald1980 View Post
                              What makes a parade a day time parade or night time parade? Who gets to decide that?

Also, what is considered night time? Is it when it gets dark? Having a parade at 5:30 in the afternoon in November is in the dark, but have the parade at the same time in the Summer and it's bright and sunny. I honestly dont get what you are talking about it being a cheap alternative, when Disney isnt trying to do that with the parades.
                              You don't need lighting towers to see a nighttime parade. Examples:
                              Disney's Fantillusion (TDL) - YouTube
                              Disney Main Street Electrical Parade - YouTube
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kAQiuhJk4g
                              [HD] USJ Magical Starlight Parade March 7th,2009 Part 1 of 3 - YouTube

Would you also say that Fantasmic should run in the day? World of Color as well. A nighttime parade is obviously a nighttime parade, as it does not require out of place lighting towers to pollute the park. I'm not sure what's difficult to understand about that. Pixar Play Parade, Soundsational!, Christmas Fantasy are all daytime parades as they do not feature on float lighting.

The cheap alternative comes during the weekdays when there is no performance of a real nighttime spectacular (in this case Fantasmic) and instead the daytime parade is bumped back to serve as the major nighttime performance. This is a frequent occurance during the Winter months and other "offseason periods"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X