Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help regarding an ECV and GAC for uncle this weekend?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Help regarding an ECV and GAC for uncle this weekend?

    I'm taking my mid-60s uncle to Disneyland for the first time this weekend, and need some advice.


    He had a stroke a few years ago, and while he's fairly mobile with a walker, we need to get him an ECV for the park. I take it we also need to get a GAC, although I can't seem to figure out exactly HOW to do that.


    For the ECV, we're local to LA and only going for one day, so we can't really have one delivered to a hotel. I'm thinking we should just rent one from the park, but no one seems to have had good experiences with them. Am I overthinking this? I know they're more expensive, which is fine.


    For the GAC, where do I actually get a card? I know that the ECV is a dead giveaway, but he'll be okay to walk from outside a ride inside.


    I'm open to any and all suggestions, and could really use some help! He's wanted to go to Disneyland for the last FIFTY years, so I want to make sure he has the best time he can.

  • #2
    Re: Help regarding an ECV and GAC for uncle this weekend?

    He should be fine with the ECV only. You can rent them outside the park to the right of the Disneyland entrance.

    He does not need a GAC if he has is using a walking device (Walker, Chair, ECV, Crutch, Cane, etc.)

    As for ECV, they are fine. Problems seem to stem from guests who are being inconsiderate or otherwise. My mother uses an ECV while at the park and I've never had issues with one.

    Enjoy your trip!!!!
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Help regarding an ECV and GAC for uncle this weekend?

      For info on obtaining and using a GAC, see post #14 of my recent Trip report....

      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...isneyland.html
      WDW - 1987 & 1991
      DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
      DLR - October 2011




      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Help regarding an ECV and GAC for uncle this weekend?

        My husband uses an ECV (we own one - so I can't help you with rental tips) at the parks. We don't get a GAC. When we asked about one, they told us that you don't need one as long as there are 6 people or less in your party. Just make sure you get a Disability Guide at the park entrance - that will tell you how to proceed at each ride. My husband usually rides his ECV right up to the entrance (or exit, if indicated on the guide) and the CM there directs him which way to go. There will be times that you will be entering through the exit.

        I would be hesitant to park the ECV and just go through the regular queue. If standing for long periods of time (or stairs) is a problem, he will be better off just following the ECV protocol in the guide and keeping it with him. The wait won't necessarily be shorter, but he will be able to remain seating during that wait.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Help regarding an ECV and GAC for uncle this weekend?

          Originally posted by starshine514 View Post
          My husband uses an ECV (we own one - so I can't help you with rental tips) at the parks. We don't get a GAC. When we asked about one, they told us that you don't need one as long as there are 6 people or less in your party. Just make sure you get a Disability Guide at the park entrance - that will tell you how to proceed at each ride. My husband usually rides his ECV right up to the entrance (or exit, if indicated on the guide) and the CM there directs him which way to go. There will be times that you will be entering through the exit.

          I would be hesitant to park the ECV and just go through the regular queue. If standing for long periods of time (or stairs) is a problem, he will be better off just following the ECV protocol in the guide and keeping it with him. The wait won't necessarily be shorter, but he will be able to remain seating during that wait.
          Thank you! That's what I was most worried about - what to do with the ECV when it was time to ride something.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Help regarding an ECV and GAC for uncle this weekend?

            In my experience renting an ECV for a member of my party, it's better to park in the Toy Story Lot rather than the M&F complex as the Toy Story Lot buses drop guests off right next to the rental location. If you were to use the M&F complex you'd have to walk to the opposite side of the Esplanade to rent an ECV.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Help regarding an ECV and GAC for uncle this weekend?

              We rent and ECV for my wife and we don't need a GAC. We haven't had many problems with the ECVs and the couple fo times we did the cast members were very accomodating. Each ride will have instructions regarding where to go and where to transfer. In DCA most of the rides are ADA compliant so you can just enter the queues with everyone else. I'm sure you'll have a great time.
              Adults are only kids grown up, anyway - Walt Disney

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Help regarding an ECV and GAC for uncle this weekend?

                Sorry for not understanding the acronymn, but what is a GAC? Thanks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Help regarding an ECV and GAC for uncle this weekend?

                  Originally posted by Popcornballs View Post
                  Sorry for not understanding the acronymn, but what is a GAC? Thanks.
                  I believe it stands for Guest Assistance Card.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Help regarding an ECV and GAC for uncle this weekend?

                    With an ECV, you simply go to the Handicap entrance to a ride. Usually (but not always) located at the EXIT of the ride. When in doubt, ask the cast member at the entrance, they will be able to help you out.

                    When I've been with someone who needed an ECV for medical reasons (IE: Not a lazy teen), we've never needed a GAC card.

                    Other than the expense, I've never heard of a problem the parks ECV's, they're usually well maintained, just keep your receipt, and you can come and go and drop off/pick up a new one anytime that day.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Help regarding an ECV and GAC for uncle this weekend?

                      Originally posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
                      With an ECV, you simply go to the Handicap entrance to a ride. Usually (but not always) located at the EXIT of the ride. When in doubt, ask the cast member at the entrance, they will be able to help you out.

                      When I've been with someone who needed an ECV for medical reasons (IE: Not a lazy teen), we've never needed a GAC card.

                      Other than the expense, I've never heard of a problem the parks ECV's, they're usually well maintained, just keep your receipt, and you can come and go and drop off/pick up a new one anytime that day.
                      And unfortunately ECVs (and wheelchairs and strollers) can't go past the Security tents. They're strictly DL, DCA and the Esplanade so if you want to do lunch in DTD you're out of luck.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Help regarding an ECV and GAC for uncle this weekend?

                        My hubby uses a GoGo Scooter to get around the Parks due to a spine injury. We have never had to use a GAC. The previous comments regarding the helpfulness of the castmembers is right on. They have always been very helpful and supportive. What we have been told is to simply take the key of the scooter with us on the rides and the castmembers will either park it in a better location for disembarking (like on Pirates or Jungle Cruise) or will simply leave it where we are allowed on the rides (like Alice, Toad, etc).

                        To ride the big Train, the only station you cannot access will be Main Street as there is no ramp. The other stations are fine and you will have your own section of the Train that you drive right into. The Monorail has one car they like to use and you drive right into that. Backing in usually works better.

                        Indy has a handicap line that bypasses most of the queue and special elevators so you don't have to use the stairs near the loading area.

                        Space Mountain (go in through the exit) has a special car on a side track where you have plenty of time to load and unload. Once the car is ready, the whole rail will be pushed onto the main track. It's pretty cool!

                        You will have a great time! Just take your time and enjoy!
                        sigpic
                        Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!


                        Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!


                        Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

                        Comment

                        Ad Widget

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X