Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What character/franchise tie-in do you dislike the most?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What character/franchise tie-in do you dislike the most?

Ok, there are so many discussions lately with micechatters who love, hate or are indifferent with character tie-ins and I was curious which you personally think is the worst and even the best (if you'd like) and why.

This can range from rides, to shows to lands or even restaurants.

My absolute worst has to be Tarzan's Tree House.
    I have fond memories of this attraction when it was Swiss Family Robinson when I was little, I can especially remember going up there with my dad and dreaming of having a tree house like it for a home someday. Then they had to kick them out and add Tarzan.

I liked the Tarzan movie but IMO, they completely ruined this attraction for me. I think I've only gone up there about 3 times since. Completely lost appeal.

My favorite is all of Bugs Land because of theme with TSMM in close second for the fun factor.

Re: What character/franchise tie-in do you dislike the most?

I know I will get a lot of back lash for this one, but I dislike the Muppets 3D show. I think it stems from not liking the Muppets as a kid, and really not liking them as an adult. But at least it is easy to avoid, and just as easy to participate in if you wanted too. :blush:
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by QueenBee View Post
      I know I will get a lot of back lash for this one, but I dislike the Muppets 3D show. I think it stems from not liking the Muppets as a kid, and really not liking them as an adult. But at least it is easy to avoid, and just as easy to participate in if you wanted too. :blush:
      No backlash here.
      I understand where you're coming from because my husband doesn't like it either. I always liked the Muppets and it think it's cute with a good show building but I rarely see it cuz he tries to avoid it like the plague.

Comment

•Poppin's Bakery
        •Characters in Small World
        •Mad Hatter on Main Street (fine w/ Fantasyland Shop)
        •(not a tie-in)I don't care for "Constance" in HM
        •The changes in POTC (after movies came out)
        •I don't do Tarzan
        •Pirates on Tom Sawyer's Island
        •The subs could have been done better...not thrilled Nemo movie being re-told
        •I love the CBJ. Not happy we have Pooh (oh gotta love double meaning words). If you have to change something, at least replace it with something better than what we had.
        •Princess Meet and Greet coming outside of the castle

I'm sure I could think of others
        Quote by Al:
        To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
        -Al Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by DLFreak71 View Post
          •Poppin's Bakery
          •Characters in Small World
          •Mad Hatter on Main Street (fine w/ Fantasyland Shop)
          •(not a tie-in)I don't care for "Constance" in HM
          •The changes in POTC (after movies came out)
          •I don't do Tarzan
          •Pirates on Tom Sawyer's Island
          •The subs could have been done better...not thrilled Nemo movie being re-told
          •I love the CBJ. Not happy we have Pooh (oh gotta love double meaning words). If you have to change something, at least replace it with something better than what we had.
          •Princess Meet and Greet coming outside of the castle

I'm sure I could think of others
          So pretty much all of them?? lol

You didn't mention Buzz, Monsters or TSMM, do you tolerate those?

And who is Constance in HM? Sorry, this one I'm not familiar with.

Comment

Originally posted by bellerose75 View Post
            So pretty much all of them?? lol

You didn't mention Buzz, Monsters or TSMM, do you tolerate those?
            TSMM I don't mind...it's on the pier (not there much).
            I dislike Monsters. It doesn't fit in the land (for one)
            two: awful ride.
            Buzz: I don't mind the ride. Is it "tomorrowland"..no. Should it be somewhere else...yes.

I don't mind Bug's show. I think bugsland needs to go....so if it goes, then bug's 4-d show needs to go. I mean, we lost CBJ for the bugs show?
            Quote by Al:
            To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
            -Al Lutz

Comment

For me the most stomach-churning are the toonifcation of the Subs, the dumbing down of the Treehouse, the Deppth-charge sinking of POTC, the pirating of Tom Sawyer's Island, and the occupying of a children's dream of international peace by a blue space alien with anger issues.

Compared with those, the toon toy space ranger in Tomorrowland, toon toy puppet sheriff in Frontierland, toon British bear in the forests of historic America, and toon Disney princesses on Main Street are just flareups of thematic hemorrhoids; Poppins merely a minor bout of acid reflux.
              "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
              Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
              imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                toon toy puppet sheriff in Frontierland, toon British bear in the forests of historic America,
                ah, yes those.
                Somethings I just try to forget.
                Quote by Al:
                -Al Lutz

Comment

i don't mind Tarzan, i think it was a great movie, and i have no idea who the Swiss family Robinson are, so i think sometimes you do have to change things to keep them up to date.

I greatly dislike bugs land, actually dislike lands based solely on specific movies, but we shall see if that changes with Carsland.

i mean, its disneyland. Disney is known for its characters, and the parks are enjoyable no matter what. People don't go to the parks for a history lesson or to be dazzled by modern technology. Its great that those things DO exist within the park, but its a Disney park. Let them do what they want, and they will still bring in people (and me) is what I think. Yes it can feel like overkill at times and i would like to see an original land or attraction open up some time in the future, but movies/characters are profitable and I cant say i hate them in the parks.

Comment

Tarzan then Nemo...
                    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

Nemo for me hands down
                      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                      My company had a special night at the park
                      WdW trip report with WWoHP
                      NYE 2011 trip report
                      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                      Leap year 24 hour report
                      New DCA trip report
                      NYE 2012
                      HKDL trip report

Comment

I have mentioned before that in recent years the balance between original rides and character tie-ins has drastically shifted to characters. I think what annoys me most about that is that, while character based rides were created in the past, there used to be more respect for theming when they were used in those thrilling days of yesteryear. Now, characters are being added simply for the sake of adding characters. That is why we now have British nannies running bakeries and princesses on Main Street, cartoon fish in Tomorrowland, and why a message of world piece has been turned into a game of find the hidden character.
                        "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Originally posted by MochaCat View Post
                          People don't go to the parks for ..... dazzled by modern technology.
                          That's one of the things that Disney apart from everyone.
                          They were the leader, not the follower.
                          People were amazed at what Walt did in his park.

---------- Post added 01-21-2012 at 12:41 AM ----------

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                          I have mentioned before that in recent years the balance between original rides and character tie-ins has drastically shifted to characters. I think what annoys me most about that is that, while character based rides were created in the past, there used to be more respect for theming when they were used in those thrilling days of yesteryear. Now, characters are being added simply for the sake of adding characters. That is why we now have British nannies running bakeries and princesses on Main Street, cartoon fish in Tomorrowland, and why a message of world piece has been turned into a game of find the hidden character.
                          Yes!
                          Quote by Al:
                          -Al Lutz

Comment

My big issue with Tarzan is that they took a great existing attraction (not one that was closed and in need of reopening) and then totally cheapened it up. They didn't even try, they just added some soundtrack and some fiberglass animals and said "poof" here you go when the original attraction was still great.

Most other rides were done from scratch with characters with the exception of Tom Sawyers Island, POTC and IASM.

I dont have a huge issue with IASW cuz it's subtle for the most part and they didn't remarket the ride or change the name to It's A Small World With Disney Friends. They completely and deliberately renamed and restructured the treehouse.

Comment

Disney Channel (HSM, Phineas and Ferb, and Disney Channel Rocks type shows) and possibly Marvel if it comes to Disney Parks in the future.. and Captain EO.. and don't forget, the Pirates segment of WoC!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X