Now That DCA's Phase 1 is almost complete what do u think Phase 2 could contain?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DCAfanatic
    Unhelpful User
    • Aug 2008

[Question] Now That DCA's Phase 1 is almost complete what do u think Phase 2 could contain?

personally I would like them to expand or add attractions to hollywood land for example at a ride to stage 17 like the great movie ride because With the new attractions at DCA I really think this land of the park will struggle to attract more guests as guests will rush to the new lands and attractions?
  • bigwavedave
    Dave
    • Oct 2006

Re: Now That DCA's Phase 1 is almost complete what do u think Phase 2 could contain?

I don't think the Park has any more room to expand. Maybe update are change some existing rides. I would love to see the Catipillar train turned into a dark ride in which we explore the ant colony.
    Dave

Comment

• disneylandfan95
      MiceChatter
      • Oct 2008

Re: Now That DCA's Phase 1 is almost complete what do u think Phase 2 could contain?

There will be no official "Phase 2" like there was a "Phase 1." DCA will continue to be upgraded and parts will get rethemed, but it won't be all at once like what is happening now. There are several new attractions on the drawing boards for DCA, but the very earliest we would see any of them would probably be 2015-2016.

Comment

• swampymarsh
        Under that tree again!
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
        There will be no official "Phase 2" like there was a "Phase 1." DCA will continue to be upgraded and parts will get rethemed, but it won't be all at once like what is happening now. There are several new attractions on the drawing boards for DCA, but the very earliest we would see any of them would probably be 2015-2016.
        I agree, "phase 2" is quite a misnomer. We won't see another period of miles of work walls all over the park.

After June will DCA have matured into a park that gets 10M visits per year? It's a stretch but it could be headed in that direction. It depends on how many guests and the revenue per guests that is generated, to warrant new investment into the park. DCA will have to have more need than DL, Hong Kong and all the other parks to get to the front of the investment line.
        Originally posted by DCAfanatic View Post
        personally I would like them to expand or add attractions to hollywood land for example at a ride to stage 17 like the great movie ride because With the new attractions at DCA I really think this land of the park will struggle to attract more guests as guests will rush to the new lands and attractions?
        I agree, with the trolley it will have it's second ride, and still an overwhelming amount of show in its attraction make up. I'd like to see another ride in Hollywood Land more than anything else in DCA after this Summer.
        Be Cool Stay in School!
        Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

• micky90
          MiceChatter
          • Jan 2012

I thought there was room in the back of Hollywood terror for expansion?

IMO I would like to see bugs land torn out and keep the bugs life show and theme it with the grizzled area and expand Hollywood or buil a new land!

Comment

• DARTH MAUL
            Banned User
            • Jul 2010

Hollywood definitely needs the most work right now. Monsters is horribly out of place, the old restaurant that's currently Flynn's arcade will be gone, and the Millionaire building needs SOMETHING.

Comment

• WED
              Banned User
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
              Hollywood definitely needs the most work right now. Monsters is horribly out of place, the old restaurant that's currently Flynn's arcade will be gone, and the Millionaire building needs SOMETHING.
              Ah yes, the Hollywood Backlot area. What if the plan was to turn this area into a more nuanced recreation of old Hollywood with facades recreating period appropriate buildings? And what if the plan involved gutting all the backlot buildings behind that facade, including Flynn's Arcade, Monster's Inc, and the Millionaire building (and possibly even the Muppets building, with two versions of the plan designed depending on whether the Muppets film did well) and using all that space (near POTC or Indiana Jones amounts of space) to build a single attraction? And what if that attraction was themed as a Hollywood/Noir style chase involving Hollywood detectives? What if it built on concepts originally developed for the defunct Dick Tracy attraction, but with less shooting guns and more using flashlights a la Monsters Inc Ride-Go-Seek tech as you help the Detective search for clues? What if both LA Noire (the video game) and LA Confidential (the film) were cited as modern examples of the theme to highlight that it could be marketed well to the general public. What if the Studios were already involved, with plans to eventually spin the concept off into a feature film?

Man, it sure would be cool if the imagineers had concepts or even a model of this sitting in WDI, especially one earmarked for discussion when and if DCA profit and attendance growth hit specific levels for at least two consecutive years starting June 15?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Comment

• Quentin
                MaliBOOMer
                • Jul 2011

I see what you did there. ^
                Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by WED View Post
                  Ah yes, the Hollywood Backlot area. What if the plan was to turn this area into a more nuanced recreation of old Hollywood with facades recreating period appropriate buildings? And what if the plan involved gutting all the backlot buildings behind that facade, including Flynn's Arcade, Monster's Inc, and the Millionaire building (and possibly even the Muppets building, with two versions of the plan designed depending on whether the Muppets film did well) and using all that space (near POTC or Indiana Jones amounts of space) to build a single attraction? And what if that attraction was themed as a Hollywood/Noir style chase involving Hollywood detectives? What if it built on concepts originally developed for the defunct Dick Tracy attraction, but with less shooting guns and more using flashlights a la Monsters Inc Ride-Go-Seek tech as you help the Detective search for clues? What if both LA Noire (the video game) and LA Confidential (the film) were cited as modern examples of the theme to highlight that it could be marketed well to the general public. What if the Studios were already involved, with plans to eventually spin the concept off into a feature film?

Man, it sure would be cool if the imagineers had concepts or even a model of this sitting in WDI, especially one earmarked for discussion when and if DCA profit and attendance growth hit specific levels for at least two consecutive years starting June 15?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.
                  Funny, I've talked about doing pretty much this exact thing dozens of times and even more or less did a version of this for the Armchair Imagineering Competition, which you can see here http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ition-2-a.html.

The funny thing is, usually when I suggested removing large parts of the back lot area, people seemed to ignore it or think I was crazy, when as an architect, this seemed obvious.
                  Please check out my website, UncleBobDisneyGuy.com!

Thanks for your support!

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                    Adventure First, Ad Last
                    • Mar 2006

I really want to see Conderflats get a redo.......and if possible some sort of a ride (maybe a plane ride) right across from soarin on the mountain above the shops and restroom....

There is also room on where the Redwood trails are for a ride.....Goofys sky school/ the shops near it are enough room for another ride......the old Mailboomer area/shops for another ride.....room behind screamin.....even room behind ToT for a Carsland expansion....and Hollywood has ALOT of room for new restaurants and attractions too.

So a Phase 2 might not be official..but i can tell you in the next ten years...well be getting ALOT of stuff still happening in DCA
                    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jan 2008

My overall priority list would probably be:

1. Hyperion Facade
                      2. Hollywood back lot
                      3. East end of Pier area including new buildings for the carousel and coaster queue and maybe a new ride
                      4. Condor Flats & GP improvements and new ride
                      5. West pier area
                      6. Remove BL and build new land there and in old parking lot.

As others have said, you can basically fix the rest of the park with smaller projects at the same time you add a new attraction. No need for a major phase 2, but all the things we want to see done in a phase 2 should still happen in the next ten to fifteen years.

Thanks for your support!

Comment

• Princess Victoria
                        • Jan 2008

There are several things I think could benfit from being re-worked.

Firstly, I'd love to see the rumored wildlife audio-animatronics (bears, wolves) added to Grizzly River Run. I'll take a change of signage and a removal of the giant bear with that, please.

Secondly, Hollywood Land. They can change the name, but that doesn't change the ugly backlot facades on many of those buildings. They've done a few things here and there to make them look nicer, but they're still just backlot facades. Enclose the back of them somehow and make them more convincing as real buildings. Remove the mural of the Hyperion Theater and give it an actual facade. Go ahead and create the rumored lobby for the theater so that it feels like a real theater in a nicely themed land instead of a place to go watch a show in a theme park. Figure something out for the Monsters, Inc facade and make better use of that valuable real estate being taken up by the studio buildings.

Thirdly, let's finally get Paradise Pier finished. They've done so much work to bring it to where it is now by re-dressing it and adding new experiences. Let's give California Screamin' and Mickey's Fun Wheel much nicer queues instead of the concrete jungle that they are. Enclose the carousel and do away with those tacky fountains that surround it. Re-skin the whole area around Ariel's grotto to better match the rest of the pier. Figure out a long-term solution for Paradise Park, the shops, Corn Dog Castle, and Seaside Souvenirs.

Fourth, reskin Taste Pilots' Grill to either fit the new national park theme or tie it in better as a transition from Buena Vista Street. Do away with the crashed plane and theme the location to the Rocketeer or to blimps. Oh, and add customizable hot dogs to the menu. Hopefully with weiners that taste better than what the park currently serves.

And finally, there is some undeveloped land between Tower of Terror and the Cadillac Range. I think they're looking at using it for future Carsland expansion, but let's give it some good thought first. Can another mini land be put in there? Can the Hollywood Land theme be expanded (doubtful, given that the trolley ends after the TOT). If not, let's move an updated version of Autopia to Cars Land and use that space in Tomorrowland for something new. Add another great attraction to Cars Land that will allow for more time to be spent on attractions rather than waiting in line.

Comment

• Gregmh48
                          Disneyland Historian
                          • Mar 2005

Isn't the current expansion DCA's Phase 2? Phase 1 included the initial expansion into Timon lot with "a bug's land" and Tower of Terror, which were both green lit shortly after opening and increased the size and appeal of the park.

Comment

• PressPersily
                            Photographer-In-Training
                            • Dec 2011

Perhaps a loop? :mob:

I think Hollywood Backlots Thingy needs attention, the ToT isn't out of line but almost everything else is. I hope Disney will take a good look at this section of DCA and decide to do it some justice.

---------- Post added 04-10-2012 at 08:09 PM ----------

Originally posted by Princess Victoria View Post
                            There are several things I think could benfit from being re-worked.

Firstly, I'd love to see the rumored wildlife audio-animatronics (bears, wolves) added to Grizzly River Run. I'll take a change of signage and a removal of the giant bear with that, please.

Secondly, Hollywood Land. They can change the name, but that doesn't change the ugly backlot facades on many of those buildings. They've done a few things here and there to make them look nicer, but they're still just backlot facades. Enclose the back of them somehow and make them more convincing as real buildings. Remove the mural of the Hyperion Theater and give it an actual facade. Go ahead and create the rumored lobby for the theater so that it feels like a real theater in a nicely themed land instead of a place to go watch a show in a theme park. Figure something out for the Monsters, Inc facade and make better use of that valuable real estate being taken up by the studio buildings.

Thirdly, let's finally get Paradise Pier finished. They've done so much work to bring it to where it is now by re-dressing it and adding new experiences. Let's give California Screamin' and Mickey's Fun Wheel much nicer queues instead of the concrete jungle that they are. Enclose the carousel and do away with those tacky fountains that surround it. Re-skin the whole area around Ariel's grotto to better match the rest of the pier. Figure out a long-term solution for Paradise Park, the shops, Corn Dog Castle, and Seaside Souvenirs.

Fourth, reskin Taste Pilots' Grill to either fit the new national park theme or tie it in better as a transition from Buena Vista Street. Do away with the crashed plane and theme the location to the Rocketeer or to blimps. Oh, and add customizable hot dogs to the menu. Hopefully with weiners that taste better than what the park currently serves.

And finally, there is some undeveloped land between Tower of Terror and the Cadillac Range. I think they're looking at using it for future Carsland expansion, but let's give it some good thought first. Can another mini land be put in there? Can the Hollywood Land theme be expanded (doubtful, given that the trolley ends after the TOT). If not, let's move an updated version of Autopia to Cars Land and use that space in Tomorrowland for something new. Add another great attraction to Cars Land that will allow for more time to be spent on attractions rather than waiting in line.
                            I like these two queues being plain because it makes them feel more like a boardwalk attraction like Paradise Pier is supposed to be full of.
                            -Carter P.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                              MiceChatter
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Gregmh48 View Post
                              Isn't the current expansion DCA's Phase 2? Phase 1 included the initial expansion into Timon lot with "a bug's land" and Tower of Terror, which were both green lit shortly after opening and increased the size and appeal of the park.
                              Generally we refer to phase 1 as the first phase of the transformation of the park, not the first change or expansion. Rather the major decision announced in 2007 to completely re-envision the park from a pop culture version of the state to a more nostalgic look at California culture with a healthy dose of Disney characters. Phase 2 basically represents the full completion of that new vision, and has also been long rumored to be happening eventually. But in any case, it's unlikely to be a massive project announced ahead of time like phase one was. Many of us believe most of the things will still be done, but in a series of smaller projects over time based on park performance and need.

Thanks for your support!

Comment

• Micoofy Duck
                                I'm Theme Park Happy!
                                • May 2006

Soarin Around the World should be phase 2

Comment

• DLFreak71
                                  ---------------
                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
                                  whatever happened to this?
                                  Rumor of a new film
                                  then
                                  Supposedly a new film was in progress.
                                  Now I haven't heard anything about it at all.
                                  Quote by Al:
                                  To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                                  -Al Lutz

Comment

• swampymarsh
                                    Under that tree again!
                                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
                                    The omnipresent rumor since word got out a Soarin clone was going to Epcot.
                                    Be Cool Stay in School!
                                    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

• Fultimate
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jan 2012

Walt Disney Imagineering is probably going to focus on the Walt Disney Studios Park at Disneyland Paris (which really needs a big placemaking and a lot of imagineers) and on Shangai Disney Resort.

Comment

• StevenW
                                        Banned User
                                        • Jul 2010

Phase 2 should be a completely new land in the undeveloped area next to Cars Land and behind the Tower of Terror. It should include the Hollywood Land re-theming. Not sure what it should be, but it should take advantage of the desert theming from Cars Land and take on the Hollywood theming next door... Palm Springs. Or something along the lines of Death Valley with an Area 51 alien theming in an underground lair.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X