This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question about DCA

When Superstar Limo was open, everyone said it was the lamest ride ever. As someone who has never been to Disneyland in California, what was so bad about it? I am just curious.

Ugh. It was just bad. It was uninteresting - something of a bad caracature of Hollywood pop cuture as drawn by an untalented child. It was loud and obnoxious. It's like turning on a blender. It makes a lot of noise and has some motion, but in 2 seconds it just gets annoying and uninteresting...

The better question would be what was GOOD about this ride? Anyone?

I went on an AP preview weekend before DCA opened, and it was raining, so it got us out of the rain for a few minutes... Does that count as a good thing?
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Comment

One trip through that poor excuse for a dark ride was enough for me. A blur of garish colors, lights, and a high decibel level. The cheaply painted sets and awful celebrity caricatures were very sad.

The best part was the photo that taken of the car's passengers and posted at the exit. The disbelieving and stunned looks on the guests' faces were hilarious. Hard to believe it was ever given the OK.
      "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

Jim Hill wrote an interesting story about it. Basically, it was supposed to be a fast ride in a limo -- until Princess Diana dies. Instead, all the jokes you're supposed to whiz by are being delivered in slow motion. Ruins a lot of the effect.

Comment

Also aside form the fact that the ride was filled with these bad AA's.
          I love me some Cher and Drew Carey but these are just freightening:

:thumbup: "This guy!"

Comment

I don't care how fast those jokes were going, it was a ride that glorified the most disgusting part of Hollywood. It was full of bad characatures of 2-bit stars. It was garish. It was insulting and crass.

Comment

Originally posted by OmegaKnight
              what was so bad about it? I am just curious.

See for yourself...
              http://www.disneyforever.com/media/dca/index.htm

Comment

I found the ride to be an interesting concept, though poorly executed (as some might say of the entire DCA project). I think it was meant to be a cornerstone of the Hollywood experience in the HPB, and its failure has made the backlot exactly what it is today.... nothing!

I think there were 4 issues that prevented the ride from actually acheiving what it set out to do.

1, it was made on the cheap. Again, a common gripe about DCA in general, but this ride was by far the worst. Just check out the crappy figerglass Cher in Pumpkin King's post above for a sample of the quality that permeated the entire attraction. It was truly a plywood and figerglass nightmare.

2, it featured B-list celebrities. Cher... Whoopi... Tim Allen.... Drew Carey.... I think they may have enjoyed (marginally) more popularity when the ride was in its formative stages, but by the time DCA was ready to open, many of these names were fading into (even more) obscurity.

3, it came off as a bad ABC commercial. I mentioned Tim Allen & Drew Carey previously.... two very successful ABC sitcom stars in the mid '90's. Nowadays, we don't hear much out of either of them. Here is a prime example of where Disney's corporate synergy fell flat on its face.

And lastly, 4.... IT HAD A PUPPET JOAN RIVERS!!!!!!!!!! I mean c'mon, the real Joan Rivers is bad enough.

Now, what if the whole ride had been a carefully designed trip through Hollywood long past? They could have made GOOD AA characters of some of the old Hollywood greats... this would also be a throwback to some of the early Disney cartoons (remember the polo match between Mickey, Donald, Harpo Marx, Laurel & Hardy, etc..?) Once again, an example of how a good concept could have been a great experience but turned into an abject nightmare.

Thank you, Paul Pressler.
                "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

Comment

Wow, that would have been MUCH better for the ride. Even if it is a small dark ride, just adding a few more realistic and more popular AA's, and better theming, it just might work. I absolutely love the idea of the Old Hollywood theme. Maralyn, Sinatra, and Mickey Mouse! Very cool.
                  Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
                  Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
                  Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
                  Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
                  Marge: Pink.
                  Homer: D'oh!
                  Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Comment

Anything would have been better than what they did with SSL. In addition to the criticisms above, the caricatures of the LA and Hollywood scenery were terrible. It was unspeakably garish and the "you're a star" narrative was puerile. I don't ride "Peter Pan" pretending to be Peter Pan but to feel that I'm watching the story from up close.

I think a noir themed car chase might have been better suited to the ride.

Comment

Now, what if the whole ride had been a carefully designed trip through Hollywood long past? They could have made GOOD AA characters of some of the old Hollywood greats... this would also be a throwback to some of the early Disney cartoons (remember the polo match between Mickey, Donald, Harpo Marx, Laurel & Hardy, etc..?) Once again, an example of how a good concept could have been a great experience but turned into an abject nightmare.

Yea they should've just brought back the stars from the past. I've never ridden on it back when it was still open but I saw the video of the actual ride and it was pretty lame.

Comment

come now, Tim Allen is second place to Bill Cosby as popular sitcom father :lol:

anywho from what I remeber of the Jim Hill thing it was origional an action ride and actualy the jokes came about moreso as it was changed to a slow moving "innocent ride"

honestly I think humor is the WORST thing a park can do, you talk about edutainment and all that other stuff getting old, if a ride that I go on again and again that's supposed to be funny generaly the joke gets dumber every time of course there are exceptions (the jungle cruise is one) of course maybe the problme witht he jokes it that it's all prerecorded and played back and it's all based on your own knowledge of the stars and all this other stuff that becomes dated in the blink of an eye (even Tomorrowland doesn't date that fast)
                        "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Now that I think about it in more detail, I'd prefer to see this "old Hollywood" overlay to the ride more than the planned Monsters Inc re-do. It would certainly make more sense with the theming.
                          "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider
                            come now, Tim Allen is second place to Bill Cosby as popular sitcom father :lol:
                            Hmm... :botox:

I find it funny that he was the "big star" that originally voiced Buzz Lightyear, and they decided to go with Patrick Warburton as the cheaper alternative for all of the non-movie Buzz voices.

Pretty soon, they'll be able to hire Allen at Warburton rates! :lol:

--Walt Disney

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X