Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Idea] My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

    Hello everyone. So, as I have already posted in my other thread, here is my ideas for DLR expansion. I have using the last couple of days developing some suggestion. That is why everyting is still very abstract and shallow. You can give your ideas. The are all very welcome. Also, criticism are very welcome too. Feel free to express if you not think it is a good idea. Let's begin.

    Well, to begin, I have never been to DLR. I live in Brazil. A trip to DLR would cost much more than a trip to WDW. But, since I have being searching and reading about Disney Parks, I got in love with DLR. The park does look so beautiful and magic. The details are just gorgeous. I am planning my trip to DLR with my family for 2014 or 2015. I know it far, but I am patient . Since I got in love with Disney parks, I have been making a daily reading about all Disney parks and attractions. Everyday I learn a new thing about the parks. When I decided to make a plan for DLR, I decided to keep DLR best features, which are:

    -Being compact and at walking distance to everywhere. In WDW, a transportation mean is necessary.
    -Being cohesive and having an extra magic, compared to other Disney Parks.

    Also, I looked up the best features of others Disney Parks and give a version of this features to DLR.

    Some notes before you read my post:

    1-I got the size and fits at Google aerial view site. I just used the fits that the site shown.
    2-The areas of the lands are not exact and precise. They are close to the real, having the possibility of being smaller or larger.
    3-Here in Brazil we use the meter system, as you use the foot, miles and acres. When asked for the fits of the landing, Google gave me the lenghts in meters. Than, I had to calculate the areas in square meters and transforme them areas to acres. I also approached the nearest whole number.
    4- When I calculated the areas necessary for hotel buildings, I used the fact that, in Grand Californian Expansion, Disney used 2,5 acres to build more 200 rooms and 50 vacation villas. Considering that hotels need extra public areas, a mid size hotel with 400-500 rooms would cover an average area of 7-8 acres. In fact, Disney Paradise Pier Hotel has 489 rooms and covers an area of 5 acres, including paking lot.

    So, I made a lot of search in web and found that this areas are owned by Disney:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland-California-Geral.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	7369270

    I don't know if Disney owns more land in Anaheim, but I wanted to use the space that I was sure that Disney owns.

    What I realized is that Disney uses so much space for parking. Ok, I know that parking space is necessary. But, when the space is kinda limited, using only "one level ground" parking is not a smart decision.

    Also, DLR most important area is the main "rectangle" where the hotels and the two parks are located. I would NOT recommend Disney use area in the "rectangle" destined to parking. The "rectangle" should be somewhere used only for parks, hotels and entertainment. You might be asking know: "So, where is the parking gonna be?"

    I would like to see DLR parking similar to that we find at Disneyland Paris. Where parking is a big isolated area enough to cover all the resort needs. At Disneyland Paris, the parking is also a "one level ground" structure, since they don't handle with space limitations. Here is what I am talking about:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland-Paris-Geral.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	7369271

    At Disneyland Tokyo, the entire Parking Structure is surrouding the entertainment. As you can see in the next picture, the "center" of the resort only features entertainment, while the "edges" host the parking.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland-Tokyo-Geral.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	7369272

    At DLR, we have a parking structure called "Mickey and Friends" that features an average of 10000 parking spaces in 6 levels and covers a ground area of 13 acres. As you can see here:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland-MickeyFriendsPL.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	7369273

    Disney owns a land with near 30 acres close to the resort "rectangle". Now, this land is the pumbaa parking lot and the remaing area is rent to another uses. As you can see here:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland-California-TumbaPL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	7369274

    As shown in picture, this area surface is enought to build 2 structures similar to Mickey and Friends Parking Estructures. Also, If Disney build this 2 new structures with 8 or 9 levels, there would be 40-50% more parking space, which means a close to 30,000 parking spaces.

    This is How Pumbaa Parking Lot would like after:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland-California-TumbaPLafter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	7369269


    The remaining areas in the rectangle would be:

    1- Simba Parking Lot:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland-California-SimbaPL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	7369275

    Paradise Pier hotel is also hosted at Simba Parking Lot

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland-California-PPhotel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	7369276

    My suggestion for Simba Parking Lot:

    1- Use the space to build a 400-450 room victorian style hotel. That would match new Paradise Pier at DCA. But, I would like to see the victorian themed hotel in a more "fairy tale" and "girly" style. Grand Floridian, Disneyland Hotel Tokyo and Disneyland Hotel Hong Kong are victorian style, but they are very formal and not very colorful. My suggestion to new "fairy tale" style hotel would be a hotel similar to Disneyland Hotel Paris, which is victorian, but very magic, girly and castle style:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland-Hotel-Paris.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	7369277Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland-Hotel-Paris2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	7369278


    The outside would be painted in Pink, but a darker pink than that used at the Disneyland Hotel Paris. I would like to see a pink similar to that used in the Sleeping Beauty Castle. The roofs would not be red. I would paint them in a very light pale beige , an ivory. Let's suppose this hotel would need 7 acres of area.

    The rooms would be similar to Disneyland Hotel Paris rooms or with Fairy Taile Suite at Disneyland Hotel:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland-Hotel-California-Fairytale-Suite.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	7369279Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland-Hotel-Paris-room.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	7369280



    I really like the finishing of fairy tale suite, but I would like to see the rooms with more pink, flowers and feminine style.

    2- The remaining area. I really like the Marvel idea. But, I consider a Marvel Theme Park to be too much. A land at DCA would not be enough to explore the entire Marvel World. My idea is that they would use the remaining area at Simba Parking Lot to be used as a Marvel area. This area would be "smaller than a park and larger than a land". I would define this area as a "Marvel Mini Theme Park", since the "mini park" would cover an area of near to 24 acres(twice the size of Cars Land). The Marvel mini park also would have an "ThorCastle" in a themed land called "Asgard". The castle would have golden details and would have 120-150 ft height. An example:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	thor-castle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	7369281


    This how The Simba Parking Lot would look like after:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland-California-SimbaPL-after.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	7369282

    As you saw, I use the parking space at Northern Paradise Pier Hotel to give more space for the new hotel.

    To be continued...
    Last edited by DisneyGeekBrazil; 07-07-2012, 01:22 PM.

  • #2
    Re: My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

    Guys, can you see the pictures?

    It is taking me forever to fix the pictures. When I use my account to see the thread, the pictures are shown. When I see the thread without logging, they are not shown.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

      I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into your work. It is great stuff and I can see that you really took the time to figure things out properly and showcased ideas that can actually be implemented unlike some who just throw out random ideas. Bravo to you! :yea:

      I found it very interesting how you calculated the acreage necessary for certain developments and was impressed.

      I agree with you that the parking lots at Disneyland need to be reorganized and reinvented. However, I see a problem with your suggestion for the two new parking structures off Disney Way. You seem to have forgotten the entrance/exit ramps necessary for the cars to get in and out. These structures can't be like parking garages located at the mall or in a city. They need a long enough entry which can support guests paying the parking fee and the long line that other cars wait for. Take a look at the entrance to Mickey and Friends.

      I don't know about your suggestion for the Victorian hotel and feel that it has been used so many times that I would like to see something new, something that is exotic and not found around America too often. Again, all other resorts have done it so why not try something different.

      I like the idea of your Marvel mini park because I feel that the Disneyland Resort can hold 3 major parks and a smaller sized venture such as a water park, Discovery Cove, Pleasure Island, or the mini park you suggested. I don't really care for Marvel too much because I feel that Universal has already done them so it would be weird having Disney do them and it might be a little too early to implement them in parks. However, if it is keeping them outside DCA and Disneyland where they don't belong its all good.

      Overall good work and I appreciate your sense of design.

      I cannot see the pictures after the one where you have the two parking structures on the Puma Lot.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

        Thank you so much for your comments. Yeah, I totally forgot the entrance/exit ramps. But, remember that Pumbaa Parking Lot is average 30 acres, where the multi leve parking structure would be average 12-13 acres, so it would still remain 4-6 to extra ramps and entries. They still could build the 2 parking structures with 10 acres each or a big parking structure with 20-24 acres, remaining extra space for the long entries.

        I would like to see the victorian hotel because it is always a classic. Except DLR, all other Disney Parks have a Victorian Hotel. And it would be a different victorian, similar to DLParis one.

        About Marvel, I like it. It's Disney. It would be nice. Kids are gonna love it.

        I think the pictures are fixed now. Can you see them?

        Also, I will post the remaining part of my idea. I planned another park, another park/water park mix, 2 other hotels and another parking struture.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

          Yes the pictures all show up, makes it much easier to comprehend your ideas.

          As for the Victorian Hotel now that I see where you are planning on putting it, it makes sense being a Victorian hotel to fit in with the seaside Victorian theme of Paradise Pier. In addition where you plan on expanding the hotel is currently used as the parking lot for guests at the Grand Californian? How are you going to accommodate for the loss? If it were a perfect world, the Grand Californian should have been built with underground parking but it's too late now.

          With the Marvel park how do you plan on connecting it to the rest of the resort/ parking structures/ Downtown Disney?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

            Originally posted by WDW1971 View Post
            Yes the pictures all show up, makes it much easier to comprehend your ideas.

            As for the Victorian Hotel now that I see where you are planning on putting it, it makes sense being a Victorian hotel to fit in with the seaside Victorian theme of Paradise Pier. In addition where you plan on expanding the hotel is currently used as the parking lot for guests at the Grand Californian? How are you going to accommodate for the loss? If it were a perfect world, the Grand Californian should have been built with underground parking but it's too late now.

            With the Marvel park how do you plan on connecting it to the rest of the resort/ parking structures/ Downtown Disney?
            Again, thak you so much for your attention. As I have already said, I have not posted my entire idea here. The other parts will be posted sooner. About Grand Californian parking, I still planned another 2 big parking structures for DLR. That would be 4 big parking structures similar to Mickey and Friends, but with more levels. That would be a massive number of parking spaces, even bigger than the now numbers. Also, in Paris and Tokyo, hotels do not have their own parking lots. The guests use the "large" parking lot avaliable to all guests. As I have previously shown, Disneyland Paris and Tokyo have only one massive parking structure for the entire resort.

            And about connecting places, we will understand in my next posts...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

              I really like this idea!!!!
              I only have one question in the new Victorian style hotel how will you travel to the frontier tower and such?
              since won't you have a giant hotel in the way?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

                I'm not too fond of the Victorian style hotel idea. While it is nice, it's been done before. I like original, fresh ideas.
                Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

                  Given the new hotel would be situated next to the Marvel park (correct me if I'm reading the images wrong!) I'd like to see the hotel themed to Marvel rather than Victorian
                  sigpic Not so patiently waiting for Disneyland Australia.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

                    Originally posted by SeptemberJoy View Post
                    Given the new hotel would be situated next to the Marvel park (correct me if I'm reading the images wrong!) I'd like to see the hotel themed to Marvel rather than Victorian
                    its too easy, but if the hotel were themed to marvel and it were a few towers, one would HAVE to be Stark Tower lol.
                    Trips coming up:

                    May 22-26th
                    July 13th-18th
                    November 19th-25th

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

                      Thank you for the work, the diagrams look great! Thanks for bringing up the multi-level parking, that really seems like the best way for DLR to go.

                      Originally posted by SeptemberJoy View Post
                      Given the new hotel would be situated next to the Marvel park (correct me if I'm reading the images wrong!) I'd like to see the hotel themed to Marvel rather than Victorian
                      Good point, this will be a tough choice because with the Paradise Pier Hotel looking over DCA, a Victorian makeover would look fantastic from Paradise Pier, but if a Marvel mini-park is implemented on the other direction, either there needs to be:

                      1) A different design on the other end (but same Victorian hotel)
                      2) Block the visibility of the hotel complex
                      3) Make another hotel themed for the Marvel park, albeit smaller.
                      4) other?

                      @ DisneygeekBrazil: Can't wait to hear your idea about connecting all the places Just shooting some random thoughts but It would nice to see the peoplemover get used for its original intention, a constant belt of vehicles transporting guests (in addition to trams, buses, and monorail) all around the resort.

                      EDIT:
                      Originally posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
                      its too easy, but if the hotel were themed to marvel and it were a few towers, one would HAVE to be Stark Tower lol.
                      Would the Stark Tower say "Stark" or "A"?
                      .:: ::.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

                        Spot on work on all the parking stuff, and calculating the spaces. I think you're absolutely right for most of this, the parking structure stuff is necessary and a 50% increase is nothing to scoff at.

                        That being said, I can't agree with the addition of the hotel or the Marvel mini-park. Any hotel added should be in the direction of future major expansion - namely the third park lot, or the 'Strawberry Field', the lower-right hand red box on your overall map. That land is space enough for a park larger than DCA, which hosts its own hotel as well.

                        The parking lot space, if its need were eliminated by efficient structure construction and increase of overall capacity to the point that the Simba lot were redundant, should be used for something else. I don't know what, but there's no need for another hotel on the dead-end side of the resort, especially not another Victorian. Blue Pete save us from more Victorian hotels.

                        In addition, there are many and more Marvel properties more conducive to adaption in three-dimensional space than Thor - although perhaps none with a more clear geography and style. That being said, a mini-land is not the answer. I do not agree with the concept of film-lands in and of itself, but if such a thing were to be done, I would rather not have a Stark (Avengers now) Tower or Asgard sticking up out of nowhere.
                        "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

                          I like some of your ideas, but there's a few things you've overlooked. One is that they are not likely to remove the Paradise Pier Hotel. It's just a bad business decision to waste a perfectly good structure. They need to remodel it to fit the pier theme better. But they can do that and keep the existing structure, so that's what they will almost certainly do.

                          I also don't really think a mini-park is a good idea for a number of reasons, but I won't go into that. But just from my knowledge of following Anaheim politics and the resort, there's very little chance they could ever get permission to build a park there. The people that live in the neighborhood to the west of that parking lot would be adamantly against it and the land is not currently zoned for theme park use. Disney would have to get a change to the Resort Master Plan that would have to go to a public hearing and the people from that neighborhood are the same people who killed Westcot. The neighbors don't want heavy use on that property and the only thing that likely will be on that whole block are shopping, hotels and light parking.

                          The other issue is that they have a number of other plans for the Pumbaa Lot and and adjacent property. I believe they have also agreed to a five story height limit on that site. So not only do they need entrance lanes, but they need to provide space to the Anaheim transit system which they've agreed to provide, a new drop-off area to replace the one near the esplanade, and space for the transportation system to get people to the parks. They really are going to probably have 8,000 spaces there maximum.

                          Anyway, you have a lot of good ideas, but those are a few of the problems I see. I definitely think that the Victorian hotel would be nice in that location and improve PP, but it's just not likely to happen.
                          The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
                          -Walt Disney

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

                            I would love to see a hotel with elements of inspiration from the Hotel Del Cornado in San Diego at the current Paradise Pier site

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: My Idea for DLR expansion in the next 20 years

                              Hi everyone, thank you so much for you comments. I will answer questions some people made to me. But remember, I have been making this "project" for less than a week. So, there are some details that I really forgot. My ideas are still very shallow and are only an overall view of what I thought. Please, feel free to post comments, criticism and suggestions.

                              Originally posted by chechire cat View Post
                              I really like this idea!!!!
                              I only have one question in the new Victorian style hotel how will you travel to the frontier tower and such?
                              since won't you have a giant hotel in the way?
                              Since I am not from USA, I really did not understand your question. If I did not answer your question properly, please, tell me that question again in another way that I will try to answer it properly.

                              The Victorian hotel would not block Disneyland Hotel. The Victorian hotel would have less levels. Also, Disneyland Hotel towers are taller. So, the views would not be blocked. I really think that there is another ways to get to Disneyland Hotel. Another roads. So, this would not make the access to Disneyland Hotel impossible.

                              Originally posted by Chuuster View Post
                              @ DisneygeekBrazil: Can't wait to hear your idea about connecting all the places Just shooting some random thoughts but It would nice to see the peoplemover get used for its original intention, a constant belt of vehicles transporting guests (in addition to trams, buses, and monorail) all around the resort.
                              Thank you so much for your suggestions. I think all of you will have a very pleasant surprise about the transportation system.

                              Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
                              I like some of your ideas, but there's a few things you've overlooked. One is that they are not likely to remove the Paradise Pier Hotel. It's just a bad business decision to waste a perfectly good structure. They need to remodel it to fit the pier theme better. But they can do that and keep the existing structure, so that's what they will almost certainly do.

                              I also don't really think a mini-park is a good idea for a number of reasons, but I won't go into that. But just from my knowledge of following Anaheim politics and the resort, there's very little chance they could ever get permission to build a park there. The people that live in the neighborhood to the west of that parking lot would be adamantly against it and the land is not currently zoned for theme park use. Disney would have to get a change to the Resort Master Plan that would have to go to a public hearing and the people from that neighborhood are the same people who killed Westcot. The neighbors don't want heavy use on that property and the only thing that likely will be on that whole block are shopping, hotels and light parking.

                              The other issue is that they have a number of other plans for the Pumbaa Lot and and adjacent property. I believe they have also agreed to a five story height limit on that site. So not only do they need entrance lanes, but they need to provide space to the Anaheim transit system which they've agreed to provide, a new drop-off area to replace the one near the esplanade, and space for the transportation system to get people to the parks. They really are going to probably have 8,000 spaces there maximum.

                              Anyway, you have a lot of good ideas, but those are a few of the problems I see. I definitely think that the Victorian hotel would be nice in that location and improve PP, but it's just not likely to happen.
                              Thank you so much for your comments. Yeah, I have not thought about this problems. Since I've never been to Anaheim and do not know how politics work there.

                              Originally posted by 0ranos View Post

                              In addition, there are many and more Marvel properties more conducive to adaption in three-dimensional space than Thor - although perhaps none with a more clear geography and style. That being said, a mini-land is not the answer. I do not agree with the concept of film-lands in and of itself, but if such a thing were to be done, I would rather not have a Stark (Avengers now) Tower or Asgard sticking up out of nowhere.
                              I still planned the construction of another hotel and park at the strawberry farm.



                              I am gonna keep posting my ideas and I hope all of you enjoy.

                              Hugs.
                              Last edited by DisneyGeekBrazil; 07-08-2012, 09:25 AM.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X