Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • News Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

    NASA sent out a couple of planes yesterday to plan out the path Endeavor will take when it arrives in LA next month which could include Disneyland.
    NASA flyover a preview for space shuttle's dramatic L.A. entrance - latimes.com

    What do you think? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? What do you think the impact to crowds/ traffic will be?
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

  • #2
    Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

    I don't know why it's necessary to do this. The skies above DL are so well mapped and so heavily trafficked it's not like they don't know the area they're going to be flying over.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

      Would be a nice treat if your in the park that date
      BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

        Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
        I don't know why it's necessary to do this. The skies above DL are so well mapped and so heavily trafficked it's not like they don't know the area they're going to be flying over.
        Not by a 747 piggy-backing the Space Shuttle they aren't. They were not planning the approach to the airport, they were planning what to fly over and around and in what order and direction, etc for the best possible views by the public and for photographic purposes. On top of that, when NASA actually flies the shuttle in, there will be a smaller jet (Lear I believe) on the same route about 100 miles ahead of it doing weather scouting and rerouting. They have very tight constraints on what conditions they can fly in. Then they can plan out these sorts of things. Discovery Flyovers Delight D.C. Area as Seen from a T-38 Chase Aircraft - YouTube

        Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

          Doesn't say how the shuttle will get from whatever airport it lands at (LAX, Edwards seem the only possibiities) to the CA Science Center near USC. One of those giant helicoptors? But that's logistics for after the celebratory flyover.

          Bigger issue on a Thursday would be TV helicoptors that do traffic reports. Depending on the time,

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

            Endevour is flying into LAX, then will be towed over LA streets to Exposition Park two weeks later.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

              Originally posted by sediment View Post
              Doesn't say how the shuttle will get from whatever airport it lands at (LAX, Edwards seem the only possibiities) to the CA Science Center near USC. One of those giant helicoptors? But that's logistics for after the celebratory flyover.

              Bigger issue on a Thursday would be TV helicoptors that do traffic reports. Depending on the time,
              I'm not sure if the wings can be removed on the shuttle, but when Air Force One was transported to the Reagan, the wings were removed and the plane was loaded on a flatbed and trucked over. It was then reassembled inside.
              "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

                Would be cool to have it pass overhead while you were at DL !

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

                  Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                  I'm not sure if the wings can be removed on the shuttle, but when Air Force One was transported to the Reagan, the wings were removed and the plane was loaded on a flatbed and trucked over. It was then reassembled inside.
                  I don't know if they'll remove the wings, but it looks to be a wide load. They will be removing trees and wires along its ground route: Shuttle Endeavour Los Angeles route unveiled | abc7.com

                  For every one tree they have to remove, they will plant two in its place.

                  I'll probably go to D-Land just to see it fly over unless I could find better viewing elsewhere. I'm disappointed that I'll be out of town for the ground transport.
                  Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
                  :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

                    Originally posted by The First Star View Post
                    I don't know if they'll remove the wings, but it looks to be a wide load. They will be removing trees and wires along its ground route: Shuttle Endeavour Los Angeles route unveiled | abc7.com

                    For every one tree they have to remove, they will plant two in its place.

                    I'll probably go to D-Land just to see it fly over unless I could find better viewing elsewhere. I'm disappointed that I'll be out of town for the ground transport.
                    Thanks for sharing the link. It's amazing how much stuff has to be cleared to let the shuttle through. It shows how big it actually is and how amazing the display at the science center will be.
                    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

                      Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                      Thanks for sharing the link. It's amazing how much stuff has to be cleared to let the shuttle through. It shows how big it actually is and how amazing the display at the science center will be.
                      Up close and personal, it is an incredible work of engineering and science art. I highly recommend watching the flyover and the drive if possible, and then go see it. Walk around it, read about it and what it did, because that is the history that leads us out to the planets and stars. We learned to live and work in space in that machine.

                      Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

                        The wings cannot be removed.
                        --
                        http://www.bewaterwise.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

                          Originally posted by ravencroft View Post
                          The wings cannot be removed.
                          Why not? It may not have been designed with expeditious wing removal in mind, but I'm sure they could do wonders with blow torches, tin snips, duct tape, and Bond-O (the last two items for the reattatchment)
                          "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
                          - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

                            Originally posted by Giant Panda View Post
                            Why not? It may not have been designed with expeditious wing removal in mind, but I'm sure they could do wonders with blow torches, tin snips, duct tape, and Bond-O (the last two items for the reattatchment)
                            Actually, that does bring up a good point. The shuttle is never flying again. There really is no reason that they couldn't surgically remove the wings for transport and put them back on again when it arrives at its destination. They will lose some of their structural integrity, but the orbiter does not need to be made flight or space worthy ever again. They could reattach them and have them cosmetically look as though they have never been removed.
                            "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

                              What would be cool is if the piggybacked Shuttle barnstormed Disneyland, flying totally on the deck, scaring the hell out of everybody. That'd be fun.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X