Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much land does Disney own around Disneyland?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] How much land does Disney own around Disneyland?

Other than the parking lots, does it own any additional land?

Re: How much land does Disney own around Disneyland?

I don't know for sure what they own, but they do own pieces throughout the city. They don't immediately develop these pieces, I would assume, until they can connect them logically to the existing parks.

I think they're looking at the Garden Walk, or perhaps have already bought it. There is an undeveloped area nearby as well that I have to assume they own. Nobody in their right mind would own property near Disney and NOT build something on it.

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

Comment

near katella and the 5 freeway, Disney owns the land next to that del taco where a Flakey Jakes used to be.

Comment

More than you might know but less than you might think
        Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyjeff View Post
          More than you might know but less than you might think
          Well that's just maddeningly unhelpful!

Click the banner! ^^^^
          Follow us on Twitter
          @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
          Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

I once overheard that they owned the farm lands caddy corner to DCA...

But may be false

Comment

This wont really answer your question, but according to Disney Trivia from the Vault, "The original property purchased for Disneyland in 1954 consisted of seventeen different land parcels totaling 140 acres. Today the Disneyland Resort encompasses 510 acres -- 461 are owned by Disney and forty-nine are under long-term lease." Hope that contributes something useful to the chat.
              Disney Fan in the Great White North

Comment

Originally posted by M_McFly View Post
                I once overheard that they owned the farm lands caddy corner to DCA...

But may be false
                Take a close look at Google Earth and Wikimapia of the land East of South Walnut in the West and South of the 5...... Some land we know Disney owns, some land might be owned by Disney, and I'll speculate about some other places....

Disney owns almost everything between Ball Road & Katella between South Walnut and Harbor - except the Northeast corner of Katella and Harbor...... No one really knows if or what Disney owns along the East side of Harbor between the 5 and Katella (except for Pumba Lot) - thy might own some of it or they might own none of it.......

The "farm lands caddy corner to DCA" is the former Strawberry Fields is owned by Disney and is currently employee parking and the Toy Story Lot. Ownership of the Southeast corner of Katella and Harbor including the Red Lion, Zaby's Auto Lodge and Anaheim Islander Inn is questionable, but the empty lot directly on the Southeast corner itself and the empty lot between Zaby's and Islander would "suggest" that Disney owns it but we don't know, it's just speculative.

East of Harbor and North of Disney way (across the street from Gardenwalk) is the Pumba Parking Lot - Disney definitely owns that. I was under the impression Disney also owns the land immediately North of Pumba but I cannot prove this.

Gardenwalk lies directly between the Pumba Lot and the Toy Story Lot (which according to the Anaheim Resort District Master Plan) will eventually become the site of the 3rd Gate at the DLR. Gardenwalk is also zoned for two hotels on either side of the Fire Station on South Clementine St. and timeshare units on the roof of the parking structure at Gardenwalk (but there's some confusion over who owns the rights for those timeshare units or whether they belong to Gardenwalk at all). Gardenwalk went into foreclosure several years ago and was taken over by the banks. In Jan/Feb of 2012, a request for bids was made by the Banks for the sale of Gardenwalk. Since then, nothing has been heard although it makes perfect sense for Disney to own the land between it's future parking structure at Pumba and it's future 3rd gate (why would Disney let someone else make any money from their guests as they walk towards the 3rd gate from Pumba?). I have no proof that Disney bought Gardenwalk, and I don't even know if a change of ownership occurred, but it's strange the bid deadline passed and neither Disney, the City of Anaheim, or the Banks themselves have said what happened. If anyone else knows, please chime in.

I don't personally know if Disney owns the lot where Del Taco is, North of Katella and between the 5 and South Anaheim Blvd - but it is a large lot and "The Boogie" is closed (is that the same as Flakey Jakes?)..... It's a large lot that would make an excellent hotel site close to the 3rd Gate - because of it's distance from the Esplanade, maybe Disney could build a "value" resort on that land...... Next, I'll engage in some speculation........

Directly South across Katella from the "Del Taco" parcel of land is the Satellite Plaza Mobile Homes Estate and directly East of "Satellite Plaza" is the "Plantation Mobile Estates"........ sandwiched in the same parcel is the Comfort Inn & Suites and the Holiday Inn Express. While I don't think Disney owns the land where the Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn are (and I'm just speculating here.....) I do think Disney actually owns the land where Satellite Plaza/Plantation Mobile currently sits.

Why do I think this? Because on both Google Earth and Wikimapia - the mobile home sites in Satellite Plaza directly adjacent to Haster Street (running North to South) and the mobile home sites in both Satellite AND Plantation directly adjacent to Citrus Drive (from Haster Street east to the Holiday Inn property) are ALL empty........ Not just empty, but there are no mobile homes on the Southern-most street of each mobile home park on BOTH sides of the street. Not only that, but the actual mobile home pads/lots on these streets don't look vacant - they look like they've been completely removed..... The Del Rey Mobile Estates directly South of the adjacent Holiday Inn looks completely occupied. Mobile Home Estates DON'T leave existing pads empty unless they can't rent them, the higher the occupancy, the higher the revenue.... since Del Rey is fully occupied and Satellite/Plantation is not - I'm speculating that Disney owns the land that Satellite/Plantation Mobile Estates presently occupies.

I have no idea what Disney might own East of the 5, but I'm sure they have something - I'd assume employee parking will probably end up out there in the distant future......

Hope this helps, but remember, it includes a lot of speculation on my part and on the parts of others - Disney obviously won't comment on this kind of stuff and most likely has a myriad of shell companies and holding companies that are either leasing land to existing occupants or even managing the existing properties themselves until the appropriate time.

Comment

Originally posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
                  Why do I think this? Because on both Google Earth and Wikimapia - the mobile home sites in Satellite Plaza directly adjacent to Haster Street (running North to South) and the mobile home sites in both Satellite AND Plantation directly adjacent to Citrus Drive (from Haster Street east to the Holiday Inn property) are ALL empty........ Not just empty, but there are no mobile homes on the Southern-most street of each mobile home park on BOTH sides of the street. Not only that, but the actual mobile home pads/lots on these streets don't look vacant - they look like they've been completely removed..... The Del Rey Mobile Estates directly South of the adjacent Holiday Inn looks completely occupied. Mobile Home Estates DON'T leave existing pads empty unless they can't rent them, the higher the occupancy, the higher the revenue.... since Del Rey is fully occupied and Satellite/Plantation is not - I'm speculating that Disney owns the land that Satellite/Plantation Mobile Estates presently occupies.
                  This land is not owned by Disney. Anaheim has a grand plan to increase access to the Angel's Stadium and Convention Center. If you have driven down Gene Autry Way from the stadium entrance to I-5 or look at a sattelite map you will see the road go up onto I-5 giving access to the freeway's carpool lanes.

The plan is to make that a major access to the freeway on a broad boulevard between the stadium and convention center. You will notice that the road if it continues east would go directly to convention way.

Then Disney bought the Fujishige Family Farms aka Strawberry Fields. This created a big roadblock in Anaheim's Plan.

So now instead of a direct connect between the stadium and convention center this road will just connect with Haster. Haster will be broadened going north to Katella.
                  Be Cool Stay in School!
                  Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X