• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Omegadiz
    MiceChatter
    • Aug 2010

[Question] Can DCA Ever Expand More?

So i've been studing the Disneyland Resort as a whole and realize that the parks are pretty land locked now that carsland is finished. That got me wondering about what the next major expansion could be. Of course, this expansion wouldnt happen in along time but its still something to look at.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DCA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	7369813
    Looking at DCA, I realize that if they wanted too, they could remove the Paradise Pier Hotel and create a themed bridge - like that used for Down Town Disney - and create another land worth of attractions in the parking lot just. They could build another hotel, or expand the other hotels to make up for the rooms lost. just a thought, but what do you think?
  • MactheMan
    MiceChatter
    • Nov 2010

Re: Can DCA Ever Expand More?

But why would you want to devote more land to a loss cause... I'm sorry, waste of space. errr... I mean. Yeah. DCA will never be fixed.

Comment

• smartlabelprint
      MiceChatter
      • Sep 2012

I wouldn't want to increase the walking necessary -- unless I don't understand your idea and it wouldn't create much more walking. I prefer the small size of the parks and the ability to cross the park quickly. Second, they'd have to do a lot of construction on the hotels and a new parking garage.

Comment

• Chesire
        MiceChatter
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by MactheMan View Post
        But why would you want to devote more land to a loss cause... I'm sorry, waste of space. errr... I mean. Yeah. DCA will never be fixed.
        Despite a few, tiny flaws, DCA has evolved into an awe-inspiring park.
        Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Comment

• MactheMan
          MiceChatter
          • Nov 2010

I wouldn't call Monsters Inc, Little Mermaid, Goofy's Sky School, Luigi's Flying Tires, Ariel's Carousel, the backlot portion of Hollywood Studios, the Aladdin facade, Bugsland, boring Grizzly, bland Soarin', Silly Symphony Swings, California Screamin's lack of theming, and much much more "a few, tiny flaws."
          Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2012, 12:38 AM. Reason: answered his question

Comment

• Bob Weaver
            MiceChatter
            • Aug 2009

They should never have built the Grand Californian there. That could have gone where the Paradise Pier hotel is, and that one somewhere else.

Comment

• Barbaraann
              Chicago Gal
              • Apr 2005

I wouldn't call Monsters Inc, Little Mermaid, Goofy's Sky School, Luigi's Flying Tires, Ariel's Carousel, the backlot portion of Hollywood Studios, the Aladdin facade, Bugsland, boring Grizzly, bland Soarin', Silly Symphony Swings, California Screamin's lack of theming, and much much more "a few, tiny flaws."

Side note:
              To whom does one contact regarding reputation?
              Helpful Posts Reputation

The link above takes you to the page in the FAQ which tells you what to do if you feel the reputation system has been abused.

It actually taught me something as well.
              BarbaraAnn

Comment

• FlynnRider99
                New MiceChatter
                • Sep 2012

Side note:
                Monster Inc and Little Mermaid are dark rides, though Mermaid is better, neither are horrible. I agree with Goofy's Sky School and Luigi's. Little kids love the carousel. Hollywood Land could use another ride (D or E ticket). No complaint on Aladdin's. Bugsland is loved by kids. Grizzly is great. Soaring is great and is California Screaming. Screaming has a theme, board walk rides that are found on the shores of California. Symphony Swings is fine too.

DCA is a great park. What it was missing was what was put in. Things like the Five and Dime, Carsland, Buena Vista Street, Toy Story and WoC really made that one of the best parks.

But everyone is allowed to their opinion. Im not a huge fan of Hollywood Studios out east. But that's mostly because they have far too many "shows".

Comment

• Chesire
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jun 2012

Side note:
                  Wow, harsh words. Though Monsters Inc., Ariel, and Goofy's Sky School don't fit the theme of California, Ariel and Monster are both great rides, and Goofy is a fun little roller coaster for those too short for California Screamin'. Hollywood Land, though not as big as Paradise Pier and Cars Land, really evokes the spirit of new and old Hollywood, which I love. The Aladdin Facade is done in a marvelous way; the Imagineers really found to have Aladdin in Hollywood Land, without there being a huge neon sign. How is Grizzly boring? It's a great, spontaneous water ride, that pays ode to Northern California. Last time I checked, people who don't know when they're gonna get wet next, usually aren't bored, and that last drop at the end is the icing on the cake. Soarin' may need a touch up, but it's a fun perspective on California that not many people have ever experienced before. What pier is complete without a swing ride or a roller coaster? They're backstory and theme are that they're part of an old-fashioned pier, and I'd rather have that than a Ratatouille roller coaster or an Up swing ride.

California Adventure will never be as great as Disneyland, but it's new additions have made it a close second.
                  Fear of the unknown.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Comment

• flickor
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jun 2012

i love California Adventure and my family does too, which is what it was built for.

I think there is plenty of room to add stuff, like where the Maliboomer was....and other various areas...Disneyland has utilized underground space much better but I think over time it will happen at California adventure (Little Mermaid)

Comment

• Omegadiz
                      MiceChatter
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by smartlabelprint View Post
                      I wouldn't want to increase the walking necessary -- unless I don't understand your idea and it wouldn't create much more walking. I prefer the small size of the parks and the ability to cross the park quickly. Second, they'd have to do a lot of construction on the hotels and a new parking garage.
                      Actually, i dont think that there would be too much walking. DCA have a "main boulevard" of sorts. The path from BVS that leads to PP. Compaired to the multiple directional pathways of Disneyland. Anyway, that path would just continue straight just past the boardwalk pizza spot and a little bit behind Screamin's helix. then the brige goes over the street. I dont reall think thats too much walking but i suppose it depends on the person. if it helps, Disney could experiment with adding another exit at the end. it would only serve as an exit however.

---------- Post added 09-28-2012 at 11:25 PM ----------

Originally posted by flickor View Post
                      i love California Adventure and my family does too, which is what it was built for.

I think there is plenty of room to add stuff, like where the Maliboomer was....and other various areas...Disneyland has utilized underground space much better but I think over time it will happen at California adventure (Little Mermaid)
                      Well theres space around sure. but there isnt for say, a major E-ticket or new land.

Comment

• Ryancr78
                        We set sail for the sky
                        • Nov 2005

I think there are certainly opportunities for future expansion. If A Bug's Land was removed, another entire land could be placed in that space that could then expand into the area behind ToT. Or Hollywood Land could be expanded beyond ToT. Or Cars Land could be expanded into that same area. It's a shame that the Grand Californian takes up so much space that could be used for another land.

Comment

• zebbie
                          New MiceChatter
                          • Aug 2012

My kids love Bugs Land, and many of the other rides that others quickly dismiss. I am sure many other kids do as well. I personally am not as amused with them. Point being, while many people want massive overhauls or huge thrill rides, I think having a good mix of content is what makes Disney.... Disney. That being said, the OP has a valid point, not much space left and something will need to go if something is to be added.

However, I think DCA is pretty much good. With a exception of repairs on a few rides (Tough to be a Bug, Muppet Theature, Soarin, and few updates to a few others, it should be very busy for a while to come. Disneyland, seems to be the one lacking in my eyes. I think Tomorrow land needs a overhaul, and Toon Town could be "adjusted". Many updates were scrapped in many areas of the park, and it is starting to show.

I would be a huge fan of actually fixing some of the seating issues for Fantasmic and WOC at both parks.

Comment

• DrFink
                            The doctor is in
                            • Aug 2012

I think the only revamping DCA will ever get is more theme changes for rides in the future and maybe they will, finally, get rid of Bug's Land.

I wouldn't say DCA is a bad park but it is a little lacking when compared to Disneyland. It has different things to offer and I think the original idea was to try and replicate old California for what it was. It did that and it kinda failed. It has been re-done to an extent and I think it has been a success. I will tell you it's a lot better now than it was. I went in 2008 and thought it was extremely lame. I went again this year and actually enjoyed it.
                            Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

• magicaldisney77
                              MiceChatter
                              • Dec 2010

i always find it funny when people say disneyland doesn't have any more room.. lets be real if disney really wanted to buy more land they would.

Comment

• flickor
                                MiceChatter
                                • Jun 2012

I think you could remove any of the bugs land rides, build rides underground in those spots then put the bugs land rides on top of them, they can't weigh that much.

Comment

• torturedbys0litude
                                  New MiceChatter
                                  • Apr 2012

Personally, my biggest issue with DCA is that I feel like theres too much emphasis on dining and not enough on theming/attractions. I mean the new dining options in Paradise Pier have like 10,000 seats the majority of which are almost always empty.

Another huge issue I have with DCA is A Bug's Land. It's actually quite awful. The rides are a complete bore and the land seems too unused and lazy. It's not even for kids as a whole it seems like a land solely for newborns to tiny toddler's.
                                  Last edited by torturedbys0litude; 10-07-2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• Chesire
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by torturedbys0litude View Post
                                    Personally, my biggest issue with DCA is that I feel like theres too much emphasis on dining and not enough on theming/attractions. I mean the new dining options in Paradise Pier have like 10,000 seats the majority of which are almost always empty.

Another huge issue I have with DCA is A Bug's Land. It's actually quite awful. The rides are a complete bore and the land seems too unused and lazy. It's not even for kids as a whole it seems like a land solely for newborns to tiny toddler's.
                                    Which do make a percentage of people who come into the park.

Just until yesterday, I thought Bugs Land was a waste of space, but as I was doing research on what rides my 2 year old sister could go on in CA Adventure, Bugs Land was virtually the only place she could ride actual rides. While it might seem babyish and silly to you, it's the only corner of the CA Adventure where littler kids can go. The rides seem like a bore to you, because you're most likely above the age of 10. Bugs Land is really well detailed if you actually take a look at it; as others have said you actually feel like a bug, surround by grass two times taller than you. If Disney wants to keep families with little ones coming into CA Adventure, they need to keep Bugs Land.
                                    Fear of the unknown.

Comment

• torturedbys0litude
                                      New MiceChatter
                                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Chesire View Post

Just until yesterday, I thought Bugs Land was a waste of space, but as I was doing research on what rides my 2 year old sister could go on in CA Adventure, Bugs Land was virtually the only place she could ride actual rides. While it might seem babyish and silly to you, it's the only corner of the CA Adventure where littler kids can go. The rides seem like a bore to you, because you're most likely above the age of 10. Bugs Land is really well detailed if you actually take a look at it; as others have said you actually feel like a bug, surround by grass two times taller than you. If Disney wants to keep families with little ones coming into CA Adventure, they need to keep Bugs Land.
                                      Well I agree that the detail is rather charming. But there is quite a bit of wasted space which results in lessening the feeling of whimsy. I think part of Disney's general charm is their ability to create a space thats an escape not only for tiny children who don't know any better but also for adults as well. Cars Land executes that goal perfectly, whereas Bugs Land does not.

Comment

• swampymarsh
                                        Under that tree again!
                                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Chesire View Post

Just until yesterday, I thought Bugs Land was a waste of space, but as I was doing research on what rides my 2 year old sister could go on in CA Adventure.
                                        And not just a small percentage that we'll call x. It for 2x or 3x or more percent of the guests. This is a large group of guests. Because as you will exprience Cheshire, that someone is going with your 2yo sister.
                                        Be Cool Stay in School!
                                        Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X