Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RFID entrance to the parks coming soon, maybe next year?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] RFID entrance to the parks coming soon, maybe next year?

According to this link Disneyland Christmas may be extra - Al Lutz - So how will AP's work? Or will they not exsist anmore, maybe one or two "ailse" for them, you need to match the faces up on AP's, can't do it with RFID cards.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Re: RFID entrance to the parks coming soon, maybe next year?

I suppose APs could have the RFID technology as well (you get a bracelet to go with the card, or instead of), which the system will recognize.

I'm more curious to see what happens when someone tries to sneak in amongst a crowd of legal entrants ...
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

I wish they wouldn't do this I like having a friendly smile welcome me into the park plus all those peoples jobs being replace with a computer boo on their part.

:whistling
      It's a music Celebration
      Come on, come on, come on
      Strike up the band,
      Feel the beat, what a great sensation
      Come on, come on, come on
      Move and clap your hands,
      Get into the Spirit
      Let everyone hear it,
      So come on, come on

:whistling
      Step into the Magic
      Watch the stories come alive
      Step into the Magic
      Every color shines so bright
      Step into the Magic!!!!
      :ap:
      -Disneyland Forever Fireworks

Comment

Originally posted by Giant Panda View Post
        I suppose APs could have the RFID technology as well (you get a bracelet to go with the card, or instead of), which the system will recognize.

I'm more curious to see what happens when someone tries to sneak in amongst a crowd of legal entrants ...
        It would have to be single file?

CM's would monitor.

Similar to self checkout at the grocery, try to steal, you will be nailed!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
          So how will AP's work? Or will they not exsist anmore, maybe one or two "ailse" for them, you need to match the faces up on AP's, can't do it with RFID cards.
          Finger Print scanners.

It would have to be single file?
          One of the test at WDW was a funnel style entrance. Guests scanned thier tickets on the left or right side, a few at a time on each side and then proceed through the narrowing slot between the scanners through and opening. This allowed more tickets scanned at one and you could go right through in an ECV or with a stroller. With an RFID going through the gap could allow you to pass through a scanner that verifies if you ticket/pass was scanned. Something like in stores.
          Be Cool Stay in School!
          Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

According to this link Disneyland Christmas may be extra - Al Lutz -

So how will AP's work? Or will they not exsist anmore, maybe one or two "ailse" for them, you need to match the faces up on AP's, can't do it with RFID cards.
            They could do this many ways. Fingerprints would be an obvious choice or a sign in like 24 hour fitness does. Maybe you put your ticket in and then a gate opens up like many mass transits systems in the world
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

Comment

Maybe it's just me but doesn't all that seem like a lot of work? Why can't we just keep it the way it is?

Comment

A few reasons.

Firstly, it costs a lot to staff the current system. All of those entrance CM's are paid to basically sit there and watch people enter. Reducing the need there will allow wages to be directed elsewhere in the park.

Secondly, it is likely that there is noticeable ticket fraud as far as Disney can tell. I can only assume that the new system somehow reduces or limits the possibility of entering with a ticket someone else has used.

Thirdly and most importantly, if everyone is using RFID, they can track you through the park. I would expect that the system would also show up instead of the current turnstile system at each attraction entrance/exit. They could better monitor GAC's, get better attraction counts, and generally learn more about how people are using the park. Not to mention the rumoured integration with attractions where Ursula or Jack Sparrow will suddenly know it is your name and that today your birthday.

Lastly, it will indeed make the park feel more welcoming. I just want to know how they will go about doing the big grand opening each morning without gates.

Comment

^most times I go they let people on Main Street or the Hub and you wait there until 8 AM

If it makes the lines move faster...I am all for this
                  Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

According to this link Disneyland Christmas may be extra - Al Lutz -

photo just comes up on a screen.. no need to look at card

I don't read this at all to mean there will be completely open entrance to the park. But simply the idea of much more open paths that no longer require a physical turnstyle.

I don't really see the reduction in CM requirements myself. The CMs are there enlarge to deal with customer problems with their admission media. Changing the media isn't going to eliminate those problems (expired ticket, etc).

If anything, this system stands to make the worst issue (ticket booths) even worse. DL doesn't have reception counters at every hotel distributing ticket media (or now bracelets) like they do at WDW. So many people buy tickets onsite at Disney.. that process just got more complex.. and now you might need to account for all those frequent visitors needing something refreshed or replaced frequently.

Comment

In any case, it will still make us feel more like mice at DLR (smack the bar, get a food pellet)

I guess the mouse in the house will have lots of company

-Walt Disney

Comment

How will this work when you buy admission online and print at home. They would still need someone to scan the bar code and slap a wristband on you like they do for special events.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor View Post
                          Thirdly and most importantly, if everyone is using RFID, they can track you through the park. I would expect that the system would also show up instead of the current turnstile system at each attraction entrance/exit. They could better monitor GAC's, get better attraction counts, and generally learn more about how people are using the park.
                          This is, like you said, the most important. Think about all the questions the survey peeps ask you. Now they will have the same information for everybody with RFID bracelet of whatever. That's one more job they can phase out, and still get way more information than before
                          "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                            ^most times I go they let people on Main Street or the Hub and you wait there until 8 AM

If it makes the lines move faster...I am all for this
                            During the summer a year ago, they held everyone at the turnstiles until 8:00 many days. Only when I went again in the shorter season were we allowed onto Main Street for a rope drop.

Originally posted by Crazybirdman View Post
                            This is, like you said, the most important. Think about all the questions the survey peeps ask you. Now they will have the same information for everybody with RFID bracelet of whatever. That's one more job they can phase out, and still get way more information than before
                            There are definitely lots of unseen plusses.

Comment

I do hope that when we talk about phasing out jobs, we're also talking about relocating those CMs to other roles--we've talked about how the park is understaffed in a lot of places. I hope we're not talking about letting people go.
                              Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X