X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for California Adventure Attractions

CA needs new attractions....

I would like to see a roller coaster (bigger and faster than Screamin) that would be based on the California Gold Rush. Travelers enter mine carts and serenely go through a mountain and waterfall that tell the story of the Gold Rush and then the carts fall down a mine shaft and the action begins. I know that some will say that his sounds like Big Thunder. The coaster would have 360 loops and a great steep hills.....

What are your ideas?

I think we may want to ease up on these threads a bit there seems to be alot of what if "instert land name here" was expanded, threads it's a bit oversaturated for everyone to just post ideas all day @_@

anywho my ideas for DCA can be read on the following threads

Little Mermaid Darkride:
    http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=773

Paridise Pier Lagoon Show:
    http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=798

LA Expansion:
    http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=271

Farm Expansion:
    http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=1041

expect some San Diego and Western Ghosttown ideas in the future

at that point I might write up a good article that sums up the whole direction I think the park should go along with a few small detail recommendations
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Well, as someone who prefers these threads to most of what's around...

I think I'm more inclined to a flume ride. It's California. Why don't we have more water that you can actually ride, rather than just look at and see all the trash that has been dropped in? My usual request is a Disney-class version of Journey to Atlantis with the gold rush theme. The vehicle represents an actual fleck of gold, and riders get to experience the fast-paced journwy down the river. And through the technology of Maelstrom, they also get to experience a backward flume drop.

I'd also like to see something using the old Knott's Soap Box Racers concept. Can be themed to horses as a Zorro ride. Can be done in the Hollywoodland outgrowth of HPB and themed like Santa Anita.

We had some great ideas for expansion lands. Guess I should compile a list and we can start coming up with rides to fit the lands we came up with. But mostly I think it's a matter of doing something that's never been done before, by Disney or anyone else, OR doing something that parks have stopped doing prematurely.

For instance, imagine going back to the old style Autopia freeway, without the guiderails. Being California, you call it Bumper to Bumper, and outfit the cars with bumper car rubber wrap-around fenders so you can feel free to hit the other cars. And theme the layout so that, say, the Capitol Records building is an actual record player, and if drivers get too close to the curb, motion sensors make a loud sound of the record being scratched. And don't design it long and flat, include all the fly-aways overpasses. Make goofy little cloverleaf designs that spiral in on themselves and you have to go through a tunnel to get out again. Find a way to make it more than just pressing the gas pedal and waiting for somethign interesting to happen.
      See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
      78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

I thought long and hard this morning as I drove along the Pacific Coast Highway and something came to me... why not give DCA a really awesome handme up in the form of a handme down---Pirates of Carriabean is a ride about Pirates in the Atlantic...why not create a new water based ride, that tells the story of the Spanish raiders and Oriental companies trading and stealing spices and gold in the Pacific...

Pirates of the East! (or Pacific, or Baja or something)

No major brain work, a similar ride with animatronics, cursed pirates, legends and tales, that play into the tale of California and the Pacific. Just a thought.

Comment

I always thought a Dinosaur themed dark ride would be fun, like the one at Animal Kingdom. Especially now that the one at Knott's Berry Farm is closed
          i caught you a delicious bass.

Comment

Dinosaurs would be cool, but they should all be California natives ... La Brea Tar Pits style would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ah schucks
              I thought long and hard this morning as I drove along the Pacific Coast Highway and something came to me... why not give DCA a really awesome handme up in the form of a handme down---Pirates of Carriabean is a ride about Pirates in the Atlantic...why not create a new water based ride, that tells the story of the Spanish raiders and Oriental companies trading and stealing spices and gold in the Pacific...

Pirates of the East! (or Pacific, or Baja or something)

No major brain work, a similar ride with animatronics, cursed pirates, legends and tales, that play into the tale of California and the Pacific. Just a thought.
              I don't think that Pirates would work for DCA, too much of a rehash really, besides Pirates are more famos for what happend in the Atlantic

a better ride might be a gold rush ride that involves ghosts (I'll be making a topic on it soon when I have a map drawn up)

I also dislike the idea of Dinosoars in Cali, fossils are actualy not always fond were the Dinosoars actualy lived but that's another story

either way I can't see it fitting in and I'd perfer it in another park or really not at all there are better ideas to be done I think but that's just my opinion

I'd like DCA to still make somewhat since in it's modern context but loose the whole "hip, edgy" idea

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCool
                CA needs new attractions....

I would like to see a roller coaster (bigger and faster than Screamin) that would be based on the California Gold Rush. Travelers enter mine carts and serenely go through a mountain and waterfall that tell the story of the Gold Rush and then the carts fall down a mine shaft and the action begins. I know that some will say that his sounds like Big Thunder. The coaster would have 360 loops and a great steep hills.....

What are your ideas?

Sounds like the ride in Tokyo Disneyland that is soon to open: Raging Spirits.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider
                  also dislike the idea of Dinosoars in Cali, fossils are actualy not always fond were the Dinosoars actualy lived but that's another story

either way I can't see it fitting in and I'd perfer it in another park or really not at all there are better ideas to be done I think but that's just my opinion

I'd like DCA to still make somewhat since in it's modern context but loose the whole "hip, edgy" idea
                  I think DCA needs to get as far away from Modern as it can get. Because, as people have been saying for years now, you can just go out and see the real thing if you drive an hour or two. Besides, relatively speaking, there's just not as much Adventure in modern times. I think it makes more sense to create themed lands based on the variety adventures people have found in California over hundreds of years.

For instance... I lived in a little California town called Hollister, which was home to the Pinnacles, a natural formation that had moved all the way from LA over eons of tectonic movement. So I think you could redo Soarin' as a trip over modern California that flies through the mist and shows you how California looked way back when. Picture Grand Canyon/Primeval World translated into film, of the style Disney used in Dinosaur. Rename it DinoSoarin' over California. Then overlay the Grizzly Peak area with natural history elements.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by ModHatter
                    I think DCA needs to get as far away from Modern as it can get. Because, as people have been saying for years now, you can just go out and see the real thing if you drive an hour or two. Besides, relatively speaking, there's just not as much Adventure in modern times. I think it makes more sense to create themed lands based on the variety adventures people have found in California over hundreds of years.

For instance... I lived in a little California town called Hollister, which was home to the Pinnacles, a natural formation that had moved all the way from LA over eons of tectonic movement. So I think you could redo Soarin' as a trip over modern California that flies through the mist and shows you how California looked way back when. Picture Grand Canyon/Primeval World translated into film, of the style Disney used in Dinosaur. Rename it DinoSoarin' over California. Then overlay the Grizzly Peak area with natural history elements.
                    this is were you and I will have to dissagree I suppose

DinoSoarin sounds horrible, I'd perfer a ride were I was on the ground with the Dinosoars and the pun name just ruins it, Soarin is fine as is it just shouldn't be forced into an Eticket position by the lack of rides in the park (I should probably step back from my dislike of Dinosoars, I do like the idea of them being in rides but I don't really want anything that could match a Dinosoar theme put into our third gate and honestly I don't think they have a place in DCA)

if you look at Modern California as a way of reproducing things that people can easily go and see then yes I'll agree, it's mundane it's boring it's a dumb idea for a theme

however what if you take the theme under a modern CONTEXT but then play around with it in the form of Hyperreality

I'll give you a few things from the Gold Rush darkride idea that I've been tossing around, it starts out in a new land that is essentialy a ghost town. Since this isn't Disneyland it can take a different look and feel then what we're used to in Disneyland, now everything can look rundown but in an artisticly creepy kinda way. Things could look almost haunted and you could have western player pianos that spontainously burst into song in the buildings (haunted ghost towns have been done alot and this would be an exciting envionrment to be placed in)

you could then have a boatride that takes you through more ghost towns and western areas

the darkride could start with the natives watching you as you go by in your boat and then you could move on to the different areas of California pre settlers and see the people coming in with hopes of finding gold, however through all of this the lighting could make the people look sureal almost as though they're ghosts reliving something that has occured many years ago.

the ending is something I keep thinking about really, it could end with you going into a mine and seeing people working and some dinamite mistakenly being lit (a scene very similar to what we see at the end of Pirates) or perhaps there could simply be a scene with the projected effect of the sun rising the ghosts seem to vanash and we find ourselves mysteriously transported back to the modern era as easily as we managed to slip into the shadows of the past

if you check out the threads of my other ideas you'll see that while they're not all quite as past orented as the western idea they all work in the modern context. Little Mermaid darkride uses a magical type transferance from the Pier to the world under the sea and then you come back out into the nice carnival type atmosphere, if done right the transference could be very effective. If you look at my farm expansion you'll see I have ideas for weenie's thrills and pulling the area into one cohesive whole

if you check out my LA expansion you'll see that I have some great ideas for a Limo coaster that would be a mix of Rock N RollerCoaster and Superstar Limo as well as an increadibles type experience that would also have tie ins with Californai and the modern era while not slapping you in the face with either themes

the trick to it is to be creative and take an imaginative and "disney" look at what the state of California is

the park paths walkways and stores are just the entrances and the conduits that help to get you into the world of the attractions, the attractions pull you out of one world and bring you into another

the outside of DCA could be modern California and the attractions can all have unique and innovative looks at what can be done with it

"we'll take care of the outside and the ghosts will handle of the inside"

Comment

I don't think that Pirates would work for DCA, too much of a rehash really, besides Pirates are more famos for what happend in the Atlantic

You don't know about Sir Francis Drake, do you? Possably the most famous pirate... er... "privateer" ever to cir***navigate the globe...

Oh, and he claimed California for Queen Elizabeth I too... Funny how it didn't stick...
                      Check out my other blog:

Comment

Originally posted by cellarhound
                        You don't know about Sir Francis Drake, do you? Possably the most famous pirate... er... "privateer" ever to cir***navigate the globe...

Oh, and he claimed California for Queen Elizabeth I too... Funny how it didn't stick...
                        does it matter? Pirates in general are known for their actions in the atlantic and the carribean enviornment is just more interesting

and ontop of that I just find two pirates rides awfuly darn redundant

Comment

does it matter? Pirates in general are known for their actions in the atlantic and the carribean enviornment is just more interesting

and ontop of that I just find two pirates rides awfuly darn redundant
                          It was simply a suggestion, I am not burying the ideas of yours I disagree with. I just thought Pirates is such a classic ride but its about Pirates of the East Coast, Why not make a fun version that ties into the movies? I mean heck the cursed gold came from Mexico why wouldn't some of it made its way into the hands of Pirates on the West Coast?

Its something fun, that people might find amusing to see another variation on the ever popular pirate story. An underground ride somewhere beneath Timon, would give them access for a second ride on top.

Comment

It was simply a suggestion, I am not burying the ideas of yours I disagree with. I just thought Pirates is such a classic ride but its about Pirates of the East Coast, Why not make a fun version that ties into the movies? I mean heck the cursed gold came from Mexico why wouldn't some of it made its way into the hands of Pirates on the West Coast?

Its something fun, that people might find amusing to see another variation on the ever popular pirate story. An underground ride somewhere beneath Timon, would give them access for a second ride on top.
                            oh sorry ^_^;;;;

I don't mean to sound like I'm trampling over other peoples ideas, just giving my opinion a bit I should probably explain better

in principle it's a great idea a pirates type ride is something that DCA needs

I'm just not seeing what could be added that would make the ride not seem like a rehash

you'll also find that my feelings on some subjects change with time when I first came to the Disney community I thought the way most poeple do, I wanted DCA destroyed and then rebuilt, I wanted Dinosoar rides and fantasyrides and ANYTHING to get away from this California theme idea (and the name California really does slap you in the face to this day with the idea of being gimmicky and cheap)

and yet as I thought about it more and more I just started to get ideas on how one could stretch the theme and use it to an advantage (no I don't think about theme parks all day, I tend to imagine tons of different things and shift from topic to topic generaly if I'm doing something that's boring and doesn't require much thought, tests say I "might" have mild ADD but I also have slightly above average intelligence o_o)

Comment

See, that's just the thing. JSpider's boat ride, whether he intended it or not, is essentially Western River Expedition, which was to be Florida's PotC. Some Pirates sail ships; others ride horses.

With the exception of Tomorrowland, Disneyland is based on some historical setting. Even Toon Town was heavily influenced by the setting of WFRR. And, for that matter, people wanted (and some poor folk even STILL want) Tomorrowland to become a Tomorrow that Never Was, and make it historical too. So why on earth saddle the Imagineers with a modern DCA? For one thing, by its very definition, modern doesn't stay modern long. More importantly, if you open up the idea of a California Adventure, you can create something like a Pacific Pirates ride and have it fit perfectly. After all, Swiss Family Robinson was set in the South Pacific, and in 20K Leagues, people are afraid of the "narwhal" attacks which turn out to be a human terror of the sea... Freed of this modern hindrance, Imagineers could come up with all sorts of Pirate-esque adventures.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X