Disney in high-level talks to buy Hasbro; what could this mean for Disneyland?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chesire
    MiceChatter
    • Jun 2012

[Rumor] Disney in high-level talks to buy Hasbro; what could this mean for Disneyland?

According to MTV, Disney is in high-level talks with Hasbro over acquiring the toy empire, which would add to the Disney Universe: GI Joe, My Little Pony, and Transformers.

So what could this mean for Disneyland? I'd personally love to see a toy land somewhere in the park, including both Toy Story and original Hasbro characters.

Last edited by orbitalpunk; 11-05-2012, 04:21 PM.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• JerrodDRagon
    Adventure First, Ad Last
    • Mar 2006

Re: Disney in high-level talks to buy Hasbro; what could this mean for Disneyland?

Movie wise this is a good thing, Toy Story will be allowed more characters and may even lead to a new TV show spin off from Toy Story

But Theme Park wise I don't see this effecting anything, Toy Story land is not that impressive or poplar over sea's so I dont see it making it's way to Disneyland
    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• Disneymike
      Planet of Puddingheads
      • Jan 2005

Re: Disney in high-level talks to buy Hasbro; what could this mean for Disneyland?

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
      According to MTV, Disney is in high-level talks with Hasbro over acquiring the toy empire, which would add to the Disney Universe: GI Joe, My Little Pony, and Transformers.

So what could this mean for Disneyland? I'd personally love to see a toy land somewhere in the park, including both Toy Story and original Hasbro characters.

**This isn't News, whoops! Could a mod. pretty please change this to rumor? Thanks!**
      Sorry, but no toy land please.

Comment

• explodingboy
        • Jan 2010

Someone stole Mickey's black card and is going on a shopping spree!

Comment

• Autopia
          The Tomorrowland One
          • Apr 2007

Magic: The Gathering land at Disneyland? Sweet, mix my two nerd-doms up and I'm set.

Comment

• mine,mine,mine
            MiceChatter
            • Jul 2012

I don't think I have seen anybody use MTV as an official news source before.

Comment

• Disneymike
              Planet of Puddingheads
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
              I don't think I have seen anybody use MTV as an official news source before.
              Wait, you didn't hear Snooky had a baby???

Comment

• swampymarsh
                Under that tree again!
                • Nov 2011

I've heard about these talks before, it seems to come up now and then because they, Disney and Hasbro, both market to kids.
                Be Cool Stay in School!
                Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

• wiigirl
                  MiceChatter
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by explodingboy View Post
                  Someone stole Mickey's black card and is going on a shopping spree!
                  Seriously! :P
                  For the love of Disney....:yea:

Comment

• Ron W
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jul 2009

Who wouldn't want Princess Celestia at the meet & greet between Cinderella and Princess Leia?

Comment

• mratigan
                      Say no to screens
                      • Feb 2011

So who would have the transformers theme park rights.....
                      Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Comment

• Giant Panda
                        My Children's Father
                        • Jan 2005

Hopefully it won't mean anything to Disneyland. If it means more fuel for a third park (YAY! More heroes! Go Joe!). I do not want to see the Horse-drawn Streetcar pulled by pink or blue ponies.
                        "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
                        - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

• swampymarsh
                          Under that tree again!
                          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by mratigan View Post
                          USH has a transformer ride in parks around the world, so I'm sure they will retain the ride rights in the same manner just like they have Marvel rights in the eastern US.
                          Be Cool Stay in School!
                          Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

• PiecesOfEight
                            MiceChatter
                            • Oct 2012

I'd like to see a bizarro version of Disneyland next door to Disneyland:

Main Street USA could be the New York City of Marvel.
                            Aventureland could be the world of Indiana Jones.
                            New Orleans Square could be the world of Transformers.
                            Critter Country could be the world of My Little Pony/Pound Puppies.
                            Frontierland could be the world of GI Joe.
                            Fantasyland could be the world of Dungeons & Dragons.
                            Toontown could be the world of Pixar.
                            Tomorrowland could be the world of Star Wars.

No, I'm not serious.

Comment

• explodingboy
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by mratigan View Post
                              I am pretty sure Universal has it covered.

Comment

• Meville
                                I'm from Canada eh!
                                • Nov 2008

I don't think Hasbro is even up for sale... Marvel had potential growth and Lucas wanted his saga to live on, but Hasbro already has a successful company with a multi-branch network of popular franchises; they have invested a lot of time and money developing these projects, now it is time to sit back and watch the $$ pile up, no need to sell to Disney.
                                I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                                  I'd personally love to see a toy land somewhere in the park, including both Toy Story and original Hasbro characters.
                                  You'll doubtless get that wish, as Disney continues inexorably turning Disneyland into a WalMart of toons & toys. A veritable Portobello Road of kiddie merchandise where, as the Sherman Brothers song says, "Anything and everything a chap can unload is sold."
                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

• DisneylandTraveler
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                    You'll doubtless get that wish, as Disney continues inexorably turning Disneyland into a WalMart of toons & toys. A veritable Portobello Road of kiddie merchandise where, as the Sherman Brothers song says, "Anything and everything a chap can unload is sold."
                                    Now, now.... Disney is keeping thousands of Chinese factory workers gainfully employed. I'm sure the pay, benefits, and working conditions are top notch.
                                    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Comment

• Dillamond
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Mar 2012

I can see it now. A gigantic My Little Pony character roaming the parks and scaring the cocoa nuts out of children. My nightmares are coming true. WHY. JUST. WHY.

Comment

• Krack
                                        Banned User
                                        • May 2008

It would go a long way towards Disney cornering the market on Mega-Franchises. If you were trying to come up with a list of the most popular media franchises in the United States (incorporating current popularity and staying power), your list would probably look something like this ...

1. Star Wars
                                        2. Harry Potter
                                        3. DC Comics
                                        4. Marvel Comics
                                        5. James Bond
                                        6. Indiana Jones
                                        7. Transformers
                                        8. Muppets
                                        9. Lord of the Rings
                                        10. Star Trek

Disney already owns four properties on the list. The purchase of Hasbro would give them a fifth (Transformers) as well as a couple of properties that are likely somewhere in the Top 11 through 25 - GI Joe and Dungeons & Dragons. Further, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, Hasbro is a goldmine of properties with brand identity and name recognition - Monopoly, Clue, Candyland, My Little Pony, NERF, Battleship, Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit, Play-Doh, Cranium, Risk, Ouija boards, Tonka Trucks, Mousetrap, Chutes and Ladders, Twister, etc. There's a lot of intellectual property there to mine.

And, of course, it would give Disney it's own toy company to distribute its own intellectual property (now including Star Wars and Marvel toys).

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X