This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Pictures] Disneyland Hotel: Very Rare, Very Early Photos

While conducting research recently, I found the following photographs which are no doubt personal photographs and show the Wrather family (Chris, Jack III, undientified lady) at the Disneyland Hotel during construction and very early on (my guess 1955 or 1956). These are very unique and rare photographs and I hope to find more of them.
    Photo below shows construction on the restaurant/administrative wing of the Hotel which would have been late 1955 to early 1956. The station wagon that Chris and Jackie are standing next do is the same one that is on the Disneyland Hotel postcard which I will add at the bottom of this thread.
    Photo shows Jackie Wrather and the power lines at the south end of the Hotel property
    Photo shows Chris and Linda Wrather with unidentified lady at the original structures at the Disneyland Hotel. This five building complex housed the very first guests at the Original Disneyland Hotel and were built in 1955.I just noticed I had the original photograph that was used for this postcard however this one is black & white.
    sigpicwww.magicalhotel.com

Re: Disneyland Hotel: Very Rare, Very Early Photos

That is amazing!!!! Nice research, how on Earth did ya find those pictures?

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SparkChaser View Post
      That is amazing!!!! Nice research, how on Earth did ya find those pictures?

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA
      I had access to quite a few more boxes of material courtesy of Chris Wrather. I made about 400 new scans of old material. I have so much material now, it is getting difficult to maintain.

Comment

Another picture from my recent find. Jack Wrather standing next to a map of the Disneyland Hotel. There was a picture of Jack with each of his business holdings featured in the background.

Comment

Comment

Most of the latest scans are from the 1970's & 1980's which I was really lacking a lot of information on. That's all changed now!

Comment

Nice finds, thank you for sharing!!

Comment

Originally posted by oldhotelguy View Post
                Most of the latest scans are from the 1970's & 1980's which I was really lacking a lot of information on. That's all changed now!
                When you start posting them, it will be interesting to see vistas I once saw.
                Be Cool Stay in School!
                Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Amazing pictures, thank you for posting them!
                  Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Comment

Thanks again for sharing your finds.
                    The Mur

Comment

Love it! I love seeing a visual history of the resort!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                      all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Don, your finds are increasingly amazing. I can't wait to see what else you post! :thumbup:
                        "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                        Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                        imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                          Don, your finds are increasingly amazing. I can't wait to see what else you post! :thumbup:
                          I agree with this!

I've never come across any photos from that early on. It's amazing to see those small, two level "Motel" type buildings.

Another thing I love in those old photos is, anytime there is a picture of someone standing in the parking areas or grounds of the hotel, if you can see over their shoulder, its just a vast expanse of nothing in every direction. Its rather amazing when you compare it to more recent photos of the area.

It also gives me the sense of it being really hot for some reason.

Comment

Great photos, as always. Thanks for sharing.
                            "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

I am hoping to go back through the box that had these photos and find more. I found them late in my visit and did not have as much time as I would have liked. These could quite possibly be from 1955 which would be very rare indeed. More likely from 1956 though. I am going to compare construction progress to other construction photos I have to better date these. 1955 would have to be October through December (Hotel opened on Oct. 5, 1955) and not likely Jackie would be wearing shorts in those months but you never know.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X