Does this mean the subs are here to stay? (Finding Nemo Sequel Confirmed)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrFink
    The doctor is in
    • Aug 2012

Re: Does this mean the subs are here to stay? (Finding Nemo Sequel Confirmed)

This definitely means they are here to stay. They will probably get a small refurb/update after the release, too. That is my prediction.
    Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

• chesirecat
      Banned User
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by brandond6 View Post
      I was never quite convinced by Al's article saying the Subs were leaving anyway, seems quite silly to take out a relatively new ride, it can't be much more expensive to run than some of Disneyland's other major E ticket attractions. I do agree with what was said earlier, that ride is going to build some nostalgia as the movie is sure to become a classic in the coming years. It might be cool if they add a little something to the subs for the sequel, similar to what they did with POTC adding the Jack Sparrow animatronics.
      Al may well have been right about drama behind the scenes. The Subs ride in Orlando was closed after maintenance staged a nightmare ride with the brass to show them how the subs were falling apart. The reason being was that they hated taking care of the ride.

Marty Sklar had to threaten to lie down on Harbor Boulevard to keep the subs from being taken out at Disneyland, so there have been battles in the past.

Then the Rocket Rods was closed due in part to the very high cost of constantly replacing tires on the cars.

However, given how much $$$ was put into the ride, which luckily has a sequel coming out, I doubt it will close anytime soon unless some unforseen maintenance issue pops up. Actually, I can't remember the last time the Nemo Subs went down for an extended maintenance, seems to have a pretty spotless record, which is good in terms of overall ride capacity for the park.

Comment

• disneylandfan95
        MiceChatter
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by chesirecat View Post
        Marty Sklar had to threaten to lie down on Harbor Boulevard to keep the subs from being taken out at Disneyland, so there have been battles in the past.
        There were more than "battles." Tony and Marty staged a full out war to get the subs back. It wasn't pretty, that's for sure!

Comment

• jsmith11618
          Minion
          • May 2010

Originally posted by imaginashton View Post
          Due to the film partially taking place on the California coast, I could see them removing the nemo theme from the subs and putting a nemo attraction in DCA. Not that I want a nemo ride in DCA, but I'd like that much better over the subs in TL

Poor Dory, she can never survive the cold waters off California.

Comment

• DrFink
            The doctor is in
            • Aug 2012

Due to the film partially taking place on the California coast, I could see them removing the nemo theme from the subs and putting a nemo attraction in DCA. Not that I want a nemo ride in DCA, but I'd like that much better over the subs in TL
            I didn't know "P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney" was in California.

Comment

• lightofdarkness
              MiceChatter
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by DrFink View Post
              The California waters reference is in regards to the sequel, which has been said to focus on Dory's family.

Everyone seems to be making the subs out to be a newer ride because of the Nemo overlay. It's no newer a ride than the Nightmare overlay makes Haunted Mansion a new ride. Yes, it was quite an investment to implement the overlay, but that doesn't mean it's safe from removal. They can take the projection portion and incorporate it into a new ride with a much smaller footprint, similar in size to a standard dark ride really.

The reason why it keeps being discussed as a possibility for removal is more likely due to what's on top of it than the ride itself. In the 6/26 article by Al the main statistic to pay attention to is the percentage of the park that 3 attractions take up: 20%. Combined, those 3 each have some of the lowest riders per hour per square foot. Innoventions is a wreck, Autopia needs to go, and the skeleton of the People Mover has to be pulled down. In order to do those last two, guess what goes with it? If they're going to do anything with Tomorrowland, whether it be Marvel or Star Wars or even a brand new idea, the subs are on the chopping block because of their location, plain and simple.

Comment

• sbk1234
                formerly very helpful
                • Sep 2007

I don't necessarily want the subs to leave, but I wouldn't mind seeing some enhancements. Personally, I'd like to see more actual fish and stuff, and less reliance on the tv screens. I can watch tv at home. I go to Disneyland to SEE and DO things.
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

• imaginashton
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jun 2011

The sequel is partially taking place in California....no need for sarcasm.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ridesandstuff

Comment

• jacquemeetsworld
                    jvcquemeetsworld
                    • Jun 2011

I actually like the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, even it doesn't represent the land of Tomorrow that much. All that aside, I would feel like that area would be missing something crucial if they were to completely take out the subs. Only for nostalgic reasons do I like seeing them move about the water. Like I said, I already like the ride so if they changed anything for the upcoming sequel I wouldn't mind seeing an updated overlay, maybe additional props etc. but nothing too crazy. Can't wait for the movie though!

Comment

• DrFink
                      The doctor is in
                      • Aug 2012

The sequel is partially taking place in California....no need for sarcasm.
                      Sorry. I suffer from short-term memory loss.

But in all seriousness, I don't see the point in spending all the money to transfer the subs to DCA. Not only that but where would they be placed? There isn't a whole lot of room around Paradise Pier.

Comment

• eicarr
                        MiceChatter
                        • Aug 2009

Didn't they say the budget was cut(possibly due to overruns) and would eventually be finished down the line with a phase 2?

I wish the subs were less popular and had shorter lines so I would ride it more, but I'm just happy its such a success. I'm also happy that there is so much land OTHER than the popular subs to utilize... Innovations, the skyway station, mission to mars(the huge courtyard outside where the globe/water was), captain eo(its empty roof), star trader, starcade, the huge peoplemover station and that free second story space(with the removal to the peoplemover track) that can be put in to make the land indoors with overhead dinning/shops as a roof. The Autopia needs to be relocated behind Luigi's Tires ASAP to make additional room.

Comment

• explodingboy
                          • Jan 2010

Since they were never on the chopping block, it's safe to say they are staying. A sequel to the film means nothing in terms of the attraction being updated.

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                            MiceChatter
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by eicarr View Post
                            The Autopia needs to be relocated behind Luigi's Tires ASAP to make additional room.
                            That would suck. Sorry but no.

Comment

• imaginashton
                              MiceChatter
                              • Jun 2011

Sorry. I suffer from short-term memory loss.

But in all seriousness, I don't see the point in spending all the money to transfer the subs to DCA. Not only that but where would they be placed? There isn't a whole lot of room around Paradise Pier.
                              Not the subs, just a nemo attraction in general

Comment

• DrFink
                                The doctor is in
                                • Aug 2012

Not the subs, just a nemo attraction in general
                                One similar to the Nemo ride in Epcot or something completely different?

Comment

• imaginashton
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Jun 2011

^most likely comletely different since it has a similar ride system as TLM

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jan 2005

It's not very practical, Disney would never do this. Plus, Nemo is Australian, not Californian. Even if the sequel has a segment off the CA coast.

Comment

• DrFink
                                      The doctor is in
                                      • Aug 2012

^most likely comletely different since it has a similar ride system as TLM
                                      If they kept the subs and added a new ride in DCA that would make 3 Nemo themed attractions in two parks.

Probably a bit much.

Comment

• disney4me2001
                                        • Jun 2010

If they kept the subs and added a new ride in DCA that would make 3 Nemo themed attractions in two parks.

Probably a bit much.
                                        I agree. There are already technically 2 Nemo attractions (FNSV and Turtle Talk), just like how there are already 2 Toy Story attractions (BLAB and TSMM). As much as I love both of these franchises, I think it would be overkill to add another separate attraction.
                                        Please check out my E-Ticket attraction, The Time of My Life!
                                        http://tcox91.tumblr.com

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                                          MiceChatter
                                          • Jan 2005

The subs are not going down. All talk of such, is just bubbles.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X