This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishful thinking: An E-Ticket based on a Studio Ghibli film

Last night, as I was watching Porco Rosso on TCM, I realized something: a lot of Studio Ghibli's films are excellent, especially Mr. Miyazaki's material, and are very appealing visually.

I know Disney published a lot of Studio Ghibli's films in the US, so I kept thinking about what Imagineers could do with such good material.

Dark ride? A fast paced ride featuring TT tech and animatronics ala JTtCoTE? New ride mechanics?

I know that not very many people have seen or even heard of Studio Ghibli and their material, but it would give the Imagineers a chance to flex their brains and come up with something brand new.

What do you think?

Re: Wishful thinking: An E-Ticket based on a Studio Ghibli film

I'm a huge fan of Miyazaki and have been watching his films the past few Thursdays on TCM. Even though Disney released the films in the U.S. after many of them were monster hits in Japan, the audiences here stayed away in droves.

When "Sprited Away" was released I was about the only Anglo in an all Japanese audience here in S. California.

I applaud Disney and Buena Vista for distributing the films here and loved seeing John Lassiter introduce each one but to think that they would begin to think about basing an attraction on any of these magical movies is truly wishful thinking.

American guests would rather eat churros and ride the teacups for the 10,000th time.
    "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

I think it's a very cool idea, frankly. You could put in Epcot's Japan pavilion on the east coast as well. For me, Spritied Away would probably be best and the first that comes to mind for me. You could do a Pepper's ghost kinda thing, where you enter your vehicle, pass through the train station and over the creek--and then, as you enter the main sets, the kami slowly appear around you.

Details could involve the 'reflection trick' from Snow White's Scary Adventures, by having the parents face away from you, reflected in the glass as they pig out--and then turn to face your conveyence turned into pigs.

Other things could be that the ride gently goes uphill of the bathhouse to meet ole-what's-her name and then goes back down the center where you see glob beast pouring out of one of the tubs.

Yeah, my mind's eye can envision it. Of course, people who don't understand the basics of Shinto and haven't seen the movie would think it's another "tripped" out Alice kinda experience, I'm sure.

Peace out,
      Roo
      husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

"Castle in the sky" flying dark ride would be awesome. but yes I think the stories just aren't "American" enough you know simple story, ugly=bad, 90 mins or less, and explain everything.

Comment

Everyone I know that has seen Spirited Away freekin loves it. I think a ride based on that would be great.... flying on the dragon around the bath house, seeing the swamp monster and the witch coming at you, while the faceless eats the other gods.... way cool.
          I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
          sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

Just saw Howl's Moving Castle and I loved it! Miyazaki is a Genius!
            I too would love to see a Studio Ghibli attraction!

Comment

Wow, no... I'm against commercializing such beautiful work.
              MAYBE in the Japan part of Epcot, as Roo said. But just in DL? No, thanks.
              Good morning, son
              In twenty years from now
              Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
              And I can tell you 'bout today
              And how I picked you up and everything changed
              It was pain
              Sunny days and rain
              I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

I'd actually think that something based on Tonari No Totoro would be a better idea... it's a lot more in the usual Disney spirit than some of the other movies.

And since Disney is finally doing a release of it and Fox has no say in the matter anymore, it's a better possibility now than it used to be.

Ever seen the Studio Ghibli Museum? It's like a Disneyland in museum form... I really want to visit it someday.
                -Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tom319
                  "Castle in the sky" flying dark ride would be awesome.
                  YES! ever since I saw "Laputa: Castle in the sky," I always wanted to ride the buzzing jet personal aircraft! (Do they have a name?)

The story could be your flying to Laputa to rescue to Sheeta from Muska. He could bne attacking you with the robots and everything!

I don't think disney would ever do it. If they do it at all it would be with "Spirited Away" and it would be a dark ride. Maybe we should write a letter to Matt or Bob?

Comment

A Kiki's Delivery Service dark ride would be perfect for Fantasyland

Comment

Rip out a section of useless DCA and have a themed setting of the quaint city background used, has anybody seen "Steamboy"?

How about a dark ride based upon "Ghost in the Shell"?
                      Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
                      "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr D
                        "Steamboy"? How about a dark ride based upon "Ghost in the Shell"?
                        Ghost would be too scary. Besides, Disney doesn't have rights to these films.

How about Princess Mononoke? Kids would love it! Replace Pinocchio! :lmao:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X