This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Review] The New Bayou

As MiceAge reported recently, Disney made some small changes to the Blue Bayou menu. A few weeks ago and then again yesterday I had the chance to dine with the new menu.

On every visit to the Blue Bayou I share the enormous Monte Cristo with one other person without the split-plate deal, so naturally I continued that tradition. Honestly, between bread and butter, a salad or gumbo appetizer, and a battered-and-fried hunk of delicious artery-clogging heaven, who can complain about not getting enough food, even when sharing? But I suppose I bring this up because those scallop potatoes on the side were just too darned fantastic,abundance of the former potatoes and veggies.

But I left satisfied as always, and still recommend Le Speciale de Monte Cristo to anyone I know! What's your take on the New Bayou?

Re: The New Bayou

Love the Blue Bayou's scalloped potatoes...but pommes frittes can be a good substitute if you are in desperate need of starchy goodness! Although I don't think they're served at the Bayou, but I know they're at Cafe Orleans! I always get my monte cristo there, along with the frittes. It's priced less as well, if I'm not mistaken
    Last edited by jamesscarlette; 06-29-2013, 08:37 AM. Reason: Spellcheck

Comment

I loved the potatoes
      Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

Yeah, like I said, there is really no lack of starch without the potatoes, but I would appreciate them making a little more effort to come up with a more worthy replacement than a tiny fruit skewer. Not only is it tiny, it's not nearly as culinarily creative as the scallop potatoes. Although I do love fruit.

Comment

I wondered about the fruit skewer too. I ate lunch there for the first time in April and love the Monte cristo but was surprised that there didn't seem to be a side. The skewer was what appeared to be 6 berries on a toothpick. I thought it was a garnish. An actual side, like fruit salad, would be great.

Loved the dipping sauces.

Comment

The Vanilla dipping sauce is to die for

Comment

So, they don't charge you a split plate charge if you share off one plate?

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkbelle View Post
                So, they don't charge you a split plate charge if you share off one plate?
                If you ask to spit the item, they charge you and you get a second serving of the sides for the other person. If you ask for a second plate, to put the split up food on, you don't get more and don't pay more.
                Be Cool Stay in School!
                Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

I think the charge to split and get your own side dishes is $12, which is a lot now that the "side" for the Monte Cristo is a fruit skewer. For the other meals though it would probably be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesscarlette View Post
                    It's priced less as well, if I'm not mistaken
                    It's priced differently?

Comment

Comment

They mean it when they say you pay for the ambiance...which, quite honestly, isn't worth an additional $7 at the Blue Bayou. Maybe if you got a water-side table, but smushed in the middle of the dining area? Perhaps not.

I'd love for the BB to offer a completely new menu that is a little more appropriate for the prices you pay. You're looking at Carthay prices for Cafe Orleans eats, which just isn't right to me.

Comment

^Maybe, but the Blue Bayou Monte Cristo comes with an appetizer, your choice of a salad or the gumbo. The big difference for me is that a Monte Cristo and a salad is plenty to share between two people versus sharing an appetizerless Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans. To add a salad or Gumbo to your Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans is an extra six bucks, which would essentially make the difference in cost attributed to ambience about $1.

And that doesn't even account for the bread and butter!

Comment

Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
                            ^Maybe, but the Blue Bayou Monte Cristo comes with an appetizer, your choice of a salad or the gumbo. The big difference for me is that a Monte Cristo and a salad is plenty to share between two people versus sharing an appetizerless Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans. To add a salad or Gumbo to your Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans is an extra six bucks, which would essentially make the difference in cost attributed to ambience about $1.

And that doesn't even account for the bread and butter!
                            That's true. But the Monte Cristo is also the best bang for your buck at the BB (in my opinion), so the other entrees are more representative of the ambiance charge. I'm still rooting for a menu overhaul!

Comment

^Agreed. Thankfully, the Monte Cristo is all I have to worry about! If only we could revert to the menu as it was several years ago or something better.

By the way, I've only just now noticed that the mint doubloons have been missing for a regretfully long time!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X