This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Toontown...Yay or Nay

I am just curious to know everyone's thoughts on Toontown. I can admit, it is certainly a different atmosphere back there, and I mean how often do us in the 3D world get to step into a cartoon? With that being said however, I feel that the space that Toontown currently occupies could be used for a new "Big" attraction, or something. I understand it isn't exactly large enough to make an entire new themed land out of it but I think the space could be better used. Thoughts?

Re: Toontown...Yay or Nay

Personally, I never step foot into Toontown. I think if I had kids that would be different, but I honestly sometimes forget that it is even a part of Disneyland because I never go there. I think the land could be used better for me personally, but I think a lot of young ones really enjoy that part of the park.

Comment

TT needs work, and could likely use a moderate to near complete rebuild.

I don't think simply *replacing* it is the best answer though. The problems that likely cause the neglect to the area now (it's only open for a limited time daily due to the fireworks and only has two "rides", one of which is a slow loading children's rollercoaster) aren't likely to be removed by simply redressing and replacing. You'd still have an area that they aren't comfortable with having open during the fireworks, which would drastically impact the rider counts on any attraction placed there, which would slowly lead to the neglect and stagnation that makes the less impressive parts of Toontown what they are.
      Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

Originally posted by l0nepinemall View Post
        Personally, I never step foot into Toontown. I think if I had kids that would be different, but I honestly sometimes forget that it is even a part of Disneyland because I never go there. I think the land could be used better for me personally, but I think a lot of young ones really enjoy that part of the park.
        Yeah I would agree with that. It is certainly an area geared towards kids. I didn't spend much time in that area at all the last time I was there (maybe a half an hour total over 5 days). It's too out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by JMJurav View Post
          With that being said however, I feel that the space that Toontown currently occupies could be used for a new "Big" attraction, or something.
          As long as the "new 'Big" attraction, or something" that you speak of caters to the same target audience that Toontown caters to and is just as immersive as Toontown, I think I may be OK with it. However, it would mean losing an entire land for one attraction.

I understand it isn't exactly large enough to make an entire new themed land out of it
          "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Originally posted by BogLurch View Post

I don't think simply *replacing* it is the best answer though. The problems that likely cause the neglect to the area now (it's only open for a limited time daily due to the fireworks and only has two "rides", one of which is a slow loading children's rollercoaster) aren't likely to be removed by simply redressing and replacing. You'd still have an area that they aren't comfortable with having open during the fireworks, which would drastically impact the rider counts on any attraction placed there, which would slowly lead to the neglect and stagnation that makes the less impressive parts of Toontown what they are.
            Fair point. I never considered how the fireworks play into it. Good call!

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
              Why not? There’s an entire land there now.
              That came across wrong. I guess what I meant was it could never be another Tomorrowland or Fantasyland due simply to size alone. A permanent "staple" if you will

Comment

That came across wrong. I guess what I meant was it could never be another Tomorrowland or Fantasyland due simply to size alone. A permanent "staple" if you will
                Looking at a satellite map of the park, it's about the same size as Adventureland or New Orleans Square.
                "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

ToonTown is a waste of space in my opinion.
                  As stated above, I'd probably feel a bit different if I had small kids. But regardless, I feel like there is so much more for kids to see, so I still think it's occupying valuable space.

Comment

It was great when are kids were 5,6,7 y/o. Now they are 10 and 14 so we don't go there much unless we want to get on Roger Rabbit. Getting to go into Mickey's house and meet him great and provides for some great memories and photos when you take a child there. Being that Who Framed Roger Rabbit has gotten on in years, I don't know that most kids make any connection with that movie anymore. Mine did, because we owned the movie and watched alot (I think they destroyed that DVD to be honest). Nowadays, I wouldn't mind seeing something else go in there, but that's because we just don't hit TT much anymore.
                    -Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by JeffsJess View Post
                      I feel like there is so much more for kids to see, so I still think it's occupying valuable space.
                      So you don’t think that kids would like going on the rabbit ride, meeting Mickey and Minnie in their actual houses, climbing on a boat owned by Donald Duck, or getting their first taste of a coaster on the Rescue Rangers ride?

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                        So you don’t think that kids would
                        like going on the rabbit ride, meeting Mickey and Minnie in their actual
                        houses, climbing on a boat owned by Donald Duck, or getting their first taste
                        of a coaster on the Rescue Rangers ride?
                        All I'm saying is, between Disneyland and DCA, there's a lot to see, so in my personal opinion, it's not a huge loss.

Comment

Originally posted by BogLurch View Post

This, in a nutshell, is Toontown's problem. The fireworks causing the land to close early is a massive problem that has no clear answer (beyond just not doing fireworks shows, I guess). An idea I had would be to completely enclose the Toontown area, either in the World Bazaar vein, or a giant showbuilding (I'd lean towards the latter). That'd allow you to do some fun things, like having a continuous nighttime, or periodic shows in the sky if you wanted.

Comment

It's fine for what it is, a place geared to the small fry. I haven't stepped foot in Toon Town since probably the mid-90s when DS2 was little. He loved it and Cartoon Spin was OK, but hasn't been worth my heading back there just for the one ride.

I guess I'm going to be visiting it this visit, though, BFF has never seen it and we didn't bother with it last year. So, she's asked that this year we at least take a peek.
                            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Nay
                              Disneyland Cast Member
                              Outdoor Vending
                              1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
                              http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X