Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Is Soarin' going HD on Friday?

Soarin' went down for a short refurbishment on February 24th and is suppose to open on the 28th. I thought the ride was going to be down much longer for an extended refurbishment, and for the installation of the new digital projectors? I actually remember on my last trip in November a CM told me that it was going to be down for a while. Anyone know what's up with that? I can't find anything about it anywhere.

Re: Is Soarin' going HD on Friday?

from what I understand they're changing the film resolution to HD 4K (8k being the highest), I think the film they use now is different then what a normal consumer would call "HD"

I believe the Go Pro Hero 3 camera is a standard 2.7K and can record up to 4K but our computers generally can't render the definition... but think of a glorified go pro video

Comment

Soarin is already beyond HD, it's a full fledged 70mm Imax projection system which has approximately 10 times the resolution as a 4K projector. Lets hope they don't go through with this upgrade and simply restore the film and projectors to their original state (a more costly solution long term).

Don't be fooled by marketing terms such as HD.
      http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-the...l-imax-liemax/

Comment

Digital simply won't be able to match the quality of film - at least for not a long, long time. I sincerely hope they won't switch over to digital.

Comment

I'm not expert on video clarity, but I hope they go completely digital. The film gets worn and degrades making a completely horrible image.
          DisneyTwins
          Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
            I'm not expert on video clarity, but I hope they go completely digital. The film gets worn and degrades making a completely horrible image.
            Wouldn't be a problem if Disney kept up with their maintenance, this isn't the film's fault and isn't grounds to replace a far superior format. This would be almost like saying I want DVD quality, not bluray simply because it costs more; forget that I'm a multimillionaire.
            Last edited by Seawolf; 02-26-2014, 10:30 PM.

Comment

I hope they just get rid of those black spots on the screen.
              "How do you do?"

Comment

I thought I read, probably in a Mice Chat update, that Disney was unhappy with what IMAX had to offer and that is why the long refurbishment was canceled. More work needs to be done before they transmission is made.

People above are correct. Film is HD. In fact, it's better than HD. Same with vinyl records versus CDs. However, the friction and wear and tear on film or analog sources is where the problem lies.

Comment

I rode it twice on Sunday. Once in each theater. On one side there are the black spots in the upper left corner. In the other theater there was one full row that the cast members were not loading. A front/top row at that.
                  "Nice work, pal" :thumbup:

Comment

4k would be a downgrade. Film is the best way to go, it just needs to be properly maintained.

Comment

Film can be very difficult to handle, and harder to preserve. However, they have managed to keep the film alive for over a decade with minimal wear. I think that's quite impressive. I believe it would be better to replace the film every 15 years or so with brand new film and footage. And as technology advances, so will the cameras and projectors - which may help the preservation of film.

Comment

So far it looks like I'm in the minority, but I'm all for the digital switch. I understand that the quality can't be beat when the film is in it's optimal condition. However, how often is the film in it's optimal condition? The ride is a complete joke the way it is now. Even if they did start to replace the film at a faster rate, it's still film, and it's still going to slowly deteriorate. Let's be real here. They are not going to suddenly start keeping the film in pristine quality. Digital will provide a consistent viewing experience that will greatly improve upon what is currently there.

Regarding the extended refurbishment, this is what I'm referring to. This was in the last Mice Age update.

"The focus for DCA turns to Soarin’ Over California, which will be closing next month for an aggressive four month refurbishment. We’d told you in past updates about this HD makeover plan for Soarin’ that Disney has yet to formally announce and that hasn’t shown up on public planning calendars yet. But the project is a big one that escaped the budget knife in November, and it will be a race against the clock to get both theaters completed within four months. To upgrade the theaters to a digital HD IMAX system, the existing IMAX metal screens must be removed and replaced with new screens designed for the new 4K laser projectors and the slightly different image they cast.

The audio system behind the screens and in the theater will also be upgraded, while the flying theater infrastructure itself gets a full refurbishment. WDI will also be installing new equipment for better smell effects, as well as infrastructure for the water spray effects that WDI has planned for the new Soarin’ The World movie coming to DCA and Shanghai in 2015. Don’t forget that we’d told you last year to mark March 12th, 2014 on your calendar, as that’s the evening WDI will be flying HD cameras over and around the Disneyland Resort as they film the new ending to the attraction."

Obviously, it seems as though this project has at the very least been pushed back. Anyone have more information or a link to more information?

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyWorld View Post

Obviously, it seems as though this project has at the very least been pushed back. Anyone have more information or a link to more information?
                          If I recall correctly an update later than the one you cited stated that the big overhaul was being postponed due to the BTMRR delays.

A bientot
                          Remember
                          What the dormouse said
                          Feed your head!

sigpic

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Comment

There was a Mice Age update earlier this month that said that the extended refurb that will include the 4k projection was delayed. From the update:

"Unfortunately, there are issues with the new 4K projectors that have the IMAX folks and WDI at odds. Basically, the 4K IMAX projectors don’t quite work with Soarin’s screen size. There’s a lower scale HD projector that IMAX is offering in place of the 4K version, but WDI is firm on what then want and will wait for the 4K projectors to be ready. As frustrating as that is for everyone, it is probably the best thing for the long term operation of this attraction."

Comment

I'm curious about the frame rate they will be using. I would definitely prefer a higher frame rate than 24 fps. Does anyone know the frame rate for the current show?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X