Transforming the Matterhorn into a Frozen Themed Thrill Ride?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beatle_johnny
    Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist
    • May 2006

[Idea] Transforming the Matterhorn into a Frozen Themed Thrill Ride?

I saw someone else write this and suggest it was "a rumour" he had heard somewhere.

I do not profess to any rumour... this is just plain fantasy conversation and opinion....

So lets discuss the idea of the Matterhorn becoming a Frozen themed ride.

I know the traditionalists, to which I consider myself to be, would think the idea terrible but I want you to consider a few things...

Rides Evolve.

Pirates had both the political correct update and then the Jack Sparrow-a-thon. I am sure some hated it and may still do. I myself miss the old soundtrack (He Knows Too Much!) but have become very happy with the update.

Finding Nemo is perhaps the best example of re-Imagineering a ride into a modern adventure.

Swiss Family Robinson becomes Tarzan.

Even classics like It's a Small World took on a "Where's Waldo" theme when they went away (not far away but away) from the original concept of children of the world sharing a thought of peace and connection to the addition of Disney Characters.

So why would a Frozen Ride not be acceptable at the Matterhorn? After all, in the beginning it was a wooden structure with skyways going through it so the Snowmen are not original either.

I really think this idea has merit!

It won't happen until after the 60th Party as there is not enough time to put together some scenes and figures.

Imagine.... there could even be an abominable snowman hiding in a Skyway Vehicle somewhere as a tribute to the past ala the three heads in Winnie The Pooh.

Thoughts?
    sigpicDisney Road
  • Disneytwins
    • Oct 2005

Re: Transforming the Mattahorn into a Frozen Themed Thrill Ride?

Personally. I think there's too much "filmized" attractions as it is.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Comment

• Sambo
      Down Pluto!
      • Feb 2005

Not a fantasy. It is a nightmare.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

• will1494
        Disney Dork
        • Jan 2014

Never in a million years...Frozen is a great film and a new disney classic but this ride shouldn't be touched.

now that's not to say that maybe it couldn't have maybe Elsa and Anna during maybe a holiday overlay but as a permanent addition.... I don't think so.
        All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you

-Walter Elias Disney

Comment

• Beatle_johnny
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Sambo View Post
          Not a fantasy. It is a nightmare.

How so.... explain? Is it just that you are a traditionalist?
          sigpicDisney Road

Comment

• Beatle_johnny
            • May 2006

Do you think if you were asked a similar question prior to the Pirates update you would have had the same opinion on that too? Again, I agree with you... not putting down your response but I am curious if that was an emotional kinda visceral answer.

My first thought was "Heck no!" but after thinking about it... I think it would be a smart idea. They can still call it The Matterhorn just like Tom Sawyer's Island kept it's name after the pirate overlay.
            sigpicDisney Road

Comment

• DisneylandMaster
              Level 7 Galactic Hero
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beatle_johnny View Post
              Pirates had both the political correct update and then the Jack Sparrow-a-thon. I am sure some hated it and may still do. I myself miss the old soundtrack (He Knows Too Much!) but have become very happy with the update.

Finding Nemo is perhaps the best example of re-Imagineering a ride into a modern adventure.

Swiss Family Robinson becomes Tarzan.

Even classics like It's a Small World took on a "Where's Waldo" theme when they went away (not far away but away) from the original concept of children of the world sharing a thought of peace and connection to the addition of Disney Characters.

So why would a Frozen Ride not be acceptable at the Matterhorn? After all, in the beginning it was a wooden structure with skyways going through it so the Snowmen are not original either.
              --Pirates had a quickly growing franchise and guests would go onto the attraction expecting Jack, which they got in 2006.
              --The subs were themed to Nemo because it fit best after Atlantis tanked at the box office. This attraction was pretty much rumored for a comeback since closing back in 1998 anyways.
              --Swiss Family Robinson doesn't have as much pull as Tarzan nowadays.
              --Hong Kong started the "Where's Waldo?" Small World, and Imagineers did it to add literal "character" to the attraction.

Matterhorn is best left untouched. It is one of the few attractions not based ENTIRELY off a Disney film (I say ENTIRELY because Third Man on the Mountain did loosely inspire it). If Space Mountain got a Star Wars or WALL-E integration, for example, I think many people would be up in arms.
              Stopping in the middle is
              DISTINCTLY
              UNPATRIOTIC!

Comment

• bigcatrik
                MiceChatter
                • May 2012

There were already plenty of pros and cons in the other thread.

As to your "rides evolve" point, though, I do think that there's an intangible magic to Disneyland that can potentially be squeezed out if too many classic attractions disappear or are altered beyond reason. This is, of course, up to individual taste. I know someone who will not ride Pooh because it took the place of CBJ. Personally, I think of Splash Mountain as "where America Sings went to die." From posts around here it's apparent that some have already "lost the magic" due to price increases and/or crowding so disenchantment is not unknown.

Comment

• hollyray
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jan 2014

Frozen is a Norwegian story. The Matterhorn is in Switzerland.

Comment

• mycroft16
                    I'm not really here
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by hollyray View Post
                    I suppose they could just rename the whole thing "North Mountain" and be done with it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

• Beatle_johnny
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by hollyray View Post
                      Yes but Tom Sawyer is a Missouri story (which does include a pirate adventure) but clearly the overlay was Caribbean connected.
                      sigpicDisney Road

Comment

• Beatle_johnny
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post
                        There were already plenty of pros and cons in the other thread.

As to your "rides evolve" point, though, I do think that there's an intangible magic to Disneyland that can potentially be squeezed out if too many classic attractions disappear or are altered beyond reason. This is, of course, up to individual taste. I know someone who will not ride Pooh because it took the place of CBJ. Personally, I think of Splash Mountain as "where America Sings went to die." From posts around here it's apparent that some have already "lost the magic" due to price increases and/or crowding so disenchantment is not unknown.

... and that was my first reaction. I still miss the CBJ and think it will one day make a return by reducing the Hungary Bear Restaurant... at least I hold out that it will be.....*sniff*
                        sigpicDisney Road

Comment

• TFN5459
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jan 2014

Well besides the historical aspect (the Matterhorn is the grandfather so to speak of the modern roller coaster) I don't believe that this ride is set up to give a movie like Frozen justice. You are literally whipping around corners and flying by waterfalls and get a half a second long glimpse at Harold at that's pretty much it. Frozen is a very detail oriented story (look at Elsa's Ice Castle for example and also the hidden mickey and cameo appearances by others), blink and you'd miss all of this, which would even be worse with the Matterhorn. Frozen deserves its own ride that is slower paced like Pirates that allows guests to fully absorb all the details and imagery that make Frozen such a great film in the first place. While I believe that they could do a "snowy European setting" in that area of the park which would encompass the monorail and autopia as well, I don't think its a good idea crossing the Matterhorn with Frozen either as both represent different cultures from two different countries.
                          "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
                          "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Comment

• Tomorrowland_1967
                            Artistic integrity
                            • Mar 2009

I got an idea ... lets leave the classics alone.

Lets not brainwash ourselves into this (temporary) reality ... where all classics have to have new "Franchise" makeovers.

How about Frozen getting it's very own attraction (?).
                            MY SIGNATURE:
                            Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

• hollyray
                              MiceChatter
                              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                              I suppose they could just rename the whole thing "North Mountain" and be done with it.
                              Except for the fact that the Matterhorn in Disneyland is a replica of the real mountain. So, no.

Comment

• Quentin
                                MaliBOOMer
                                • Jul 2011

They added Jack to Pirates because the movies were (loosely) based off the ride. This is not true for Frozen and the Matterhorn. The Matterhorn is such an iconic attraction to Disneyland and I don't see how in any possible way sticking things from the movie in the ride would help. Honestly it's not that I'm apposed to film inspired rides. Heck my favorite ride is Indiana Jones. It's that the Matterhorn Bobsleds is great as just that an awesome ride down and through the Matterhorn. Adding Frozen would be awkward and wouldn't improve the ride at all.

If it isn't broke don't fix it. If they tried this they wouldn't get it right and would mess up one of the most iconic attractions at the park.
                                Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

• mycroft16
                                  I'm not really here
                                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                                  They added Jack to Pirates because the movies were (loosely) based off the ride. This is not true for Frozen and the Matterhorn.
                                  A valid point. In this case they should be adding Captain John Winter's character to the ride. That actually WOULD make sense given the history of the attraction too.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

• gtsouthard
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jun 2011

the other part of the problem is that Frozen is a terrible movie. It has too many songs overall and only one good one. Not too mention the story is just dumb. The animation is fantastic but thats the only saving grace it has.

Comment

• BiggestDisneyFan
                                      Proud of my erate view
                                      • Oct 2008

My take on attractions 'evolving' is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Change for change's sake is not evolution. Change that really makes something inherently better is evolution. The problem with labeling changes to attraction as evolution is that whether those changes make it better or worse can be very subjective. I personally don't have a problem with adding some new elements to an attraction, if they fit with the original theme. For instance, I'm kinda' neutral about the addition of some Jack Sparrow elements to PoTC, because his character is from a movie based on the PoTC, and the rest of the ride remained largely unchanged. On the other hand, there should be a really good reason to make wholesale changes to an existing attraction.

The Matterhorn Bobsleds is a classic that has Walt's fingerprints all over it. Also, it's still very popular with the majority of guests - both young and old, virtually always has a full queue, pulls through a pretty healthy number of guests, and is still a great fit for it's surrounding environment, as-is. Due to all of the above, I think it's in the 'do not to mess with it' category.

(There are a few attractions that I wouldn't mind seeing overhauled or removed because they don't meet one or more of the above criterial, but that's not relevant to this topic.)
                                      Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

• jasmineray
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jun 2012

No, never, ever, no, no, NO.
                                        Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X