Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magic bands

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Magic bands

    Sorry in advance if this has been talked about already... I haven't been on here in a while.

    Is disneyland ever going to use magic bands? I just went to disney world, and I haven't quite decided if I like the whole "my magic experience"... Kinda took the spontaneous and relaxing part out of the vacation. You always were on a schedule. On the plus side, it did seem to cut wait times down on rides.
    Mandy

  • #3
    Re: Magic bands

    Yes... just a matter of time. In theory, there's a subtle push to decrease annual pass holders. Once the numbers are right, I bet you we will see Magic Bands making it's way to Disneyland and the rest of the Disney parks. Disney isn't going to waist a billion dollar+ investment on just WDW.

    Comment


    • #4
      Re: Magic bands

      Originally posted by whoever View Post
      I can only hope NEVER.
      Completely agreed.

      The biggest issue I see with brining the Magic Bands over to Disneyland is the fact they currently allow guests of WDW resorts to make reservations online before everyone else... which is fine when you have a ton of hotels in varrying price levels, including the value resorts which you can sometimes score for under $100/night. But at DLR you only have three hotels and it's rare to see one priced under $200/night. So it's a lot more expensive for that priority access to FP+ reservations.

      There's also the fact that DLR is a lot more heavy on the APs, and there's nothing more fun then a random trip to the parks. Even as someone who lives in Vegas I've made decisions the day before to make the five hour drive to the parks for a day... if there was FP+ I'd basically be screwed when it comes to making FP reservations that late in the game.
      2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
      *~2014- Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*
      *~2015- Disney Parks Premier Passholder~*

      Comment


      • #5
        Re: Magic bands

        The one thing that makes me think that MagicBands are now more likely than ever to show up is WWOHP and their RFID enabled wands.

        I believe we'll see a change in the program - I don't believe the "plan everything six months out" angle will remotely give Disney the penetration they want - but Universal just cracked the code on how to get customers to willingly carry around active tracking chips. Disney may let theme park technology and a number of other seemingly essential elements simmer or pass by, but this looks to be one of their Holy Grails... and someone just beat them to it.
        Boggard LIEEEEF!

        Comment


        • #6
          Re: Magic bands

          There were active projects at the Disneyland Resort and Disneyland Paris to introduce MyMagic+ that were halted indefinitely when it because clear that the project at Walt Disney World was a money whole. Disney promised far too much in returns that have still yet to materialize.

          Comment


          • #7
            Re: Magic bands

            Originally posted by DreamsofColor View Post
            Yes... just a matter of time. In theory, there's a subtle push to decrease annual pass holders. Once the numbers are right, I bet you we will see Magic Bands making it's way to Disneyland and the rest of the Disney parks. Disney isn't going to waist a billion dollar+ investment on just WDW.
            Not true.


            Comment


            • #8
              Re: Magic bands

              After my trip to WDW is was adamant I did not want anything like it here, however, after waiting behind picture takers and checkers and people signing their tickets, I actually wouldn't mind the magic band part. The FP+, not so much, aside from the fact that DLR is not designed for it and would need a massive overhaul for all queues to allow a second entry. That's the reason FP+ "works" at WDW since every attraction has FP.
              Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

              Comment


              • #9
                Re: Magic bands

                Originally posted by BogLurch View Post
                The one thing that makes me think that MagicBands are now more likely than ever to show up is WWOHP and their RFID enabled wands.

                I believe we'll see a change in the program - I don't believe the "plan everything six months out" angle will remotely give Disney the penetration they want - but Universal just cracked the code on how to get customers to willingly carry around active tracking chips. Disney may let theme park technology and a number of other seemingly essential elements simmer or pass by, but this looks to be one of their Holy Grails... and someone just beat them to it.
                How did they do it? With wands?

                I am not really up on what Universal's comparable program is. What is the incentive?
                You know, I have the strangest feeling I've seen that ship before... a long time ago, when I was very young. ―George Darling

                It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

                Comment


                • #10
                  Re: Magic bands

                  Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                  There were active projects at the Disneyland Resort and Disneyland Paris to introduce MyMagic+ that were halted indefinitely when it because clear that the project at Walt Disney World was a money whole. Disney promised far too much in returns that have still yet to materialize.
                  Not to mention Disneyland doesn't really need something like this. I think that Disneyland is far too small for MyMagic+. Not saying it wouldn't be a good idea for families in terms of planning a day, but I don't think it's necessary.


                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Re: Magic bands

                    Originally posted by explodingboy View Post
                    Not to mention Disneyland doesn't really need something like this. I think that Disneyland is far too small for MyMagic+. Not saying it wouldn't be a good idea for families in terms of planning a day, but I don't think it's necessary.
                    This. Also, not to mention, Disneyland doesn't really nurture or cater to their far visiting tourists who are the ones that would benefit most from this.
                    You know, I have the strangest feeling I've seen that ship before... a long time ago, when I was very young. ―George Darling

                    It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Re: Magic bands

                      Originally posted by explodingboy View Post
                      Not true.
                      Never said it was true. Just a theory that many are speculating.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Re: Magic bands

                        Magic Bands will be coming to DL, but do not expect the system to be identical to how WDW's runs. Disney knows the west coast parks have very different demographics and guest utilization. Expect similarities, but also expect differences. There are fewer parks, they are far closer together, who visits, how often and long their stays are, etc... all of these things will add up to make Disneyland's version of Magic Bands not the same.

                        Just exactly when they introduce them is a matter for some speculation. I would expect it to be between 3 - 5 years from now.

                        Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Re: Magic bands

                          Originally posted by CassiefRN View Post
                          After my trip to WDW is was adamant I did not want anything like it here, however, after waiting behind picture takers and checkers and people signing their tickets, I actually wouldn't mind the magic band part. The FP+, not so much, aside from the fact that DLR is not designed for it and would need a massive overhaul for all queues to allow a second entry. That's the reason FP+ "works" at WDW since every attraction has FP.
                          This is a great point, that WDW is very FP heavy and DL is not so the program would have difficulties being brought here, and more of the rides would have to be fitted with the technology... no thank you personally.

                          I could see the Magic Band technology working even without the FP+ because from a business side it still allows people to put their CC on the band and makes it easier for them to spend money. I'd be happy if they brought that part of the program to the parks... just not FP+
                          2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
                          *~2014- Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*
                          *~2015- Disney Parks Premier Passholder~*

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Re: Magic bands

                            Originally posted by the702senior09 View Post
                            Completely agreed.

                            The biggest issue I see with brining the Magic Bands over to Disneyland is the fact they currently allow guests of WDW resorts to make reservations online before everyone else... which is fine when you have a ton of hotels in varrying price levels, including the value resorts which you can sometimes score for under $100/night. But at DLR you only have three hotels and it's rare to see one priced under $200/night. So it's a lot more expensive for that priority access to FP+ reservations.

                            There's also the fact that DLR is a lot more heavy on the APs, and there's nothing more fun then a random trip to the parks. Even as someone who lives in Vegas I've made decisions the day before to make the five hour drive to the parks for a day... if there was FP+ I'd basically be screwed when it comes to making FP reservations that late in the game.

                            To me, this is even more of a reason for DLR to bring the magic bands over. It would give people an incentive to stay on site and pay the ridiculous hotel prices. As an AP holder, this puts me at a disadvantage, but if Disney is trying to thin out APs and get more people paying for the high priced rooms, this would be a good strategy.

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X