No announcement yet.

Walt Disney Archives Myth

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Walt Disney Archives Myth

This is more of a conversation to pick apart than a question -- it's been in my mind for years. Disney never throws away anything that is the least bit important, they just don't. What's been lingering in my thoughts for years is that Disney has to have some room. A room that includes Disneyland characters who roamed the parks from 1955 - now. Characters that haven't been filled in over 50 years. They seem like such valuable artifacts that Disney probably never trashed them. My myth is that somewhere deep down in a Burbank or Anaheim, there's a room filled with these historical old characters, just sitting there. Has this ever crossed your minds? Have you ever heard of the remnants of these 50 year old characters?

Re: Walt Disney Archives Myth

I think the tendency to keeping absolutely everything in archives may not have been part of the 'Disney mentality' in the 50s-70s. I have a feeling that many of the character costumes from 'way back when' were probably 'repurposed'.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Double post, oops

It's not like every single costume is kept. Most are destroyed and thrown away.

The Disney Archives did not begin until 1970 with the hiring of Dave Smith.
          So many items were just scrapped. The Archives are mostly interested in Movie items, not park. They do not have a large amount of early Disneyland items.

The character costumes on opening day were borrowed from the Ice Capades.

News Article quote:
          Cast characters at opening ceremonies: Characters did not roam Disneyland in the 1950s, but for the preview day, character costumes were borrowed from the Ice Capades, which produced Disney on Ice. They included:
          Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse
          Donald Duck, Pluto
          Dumbo, Chip 'n' Dale
          Peter Pan, Wendy, Captain Hook
          Cinderella, Fairy Godmother, Prince Charming, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
          Alice, Mad Hatter, White Rabbit, the March Hare
          Annie Oakley and Aunt Jemima.
          Last edited by Disneyland 1951; 07-20-2014, 11:23 AM.

They have thrown away, bulldozed and sold tons of items over the years. They don't seem to have the same passion for historic park items that us fans do.

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,719 at 09:15 AM on 07-20-2012.