This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Non rehire status

Quick question, I worked at Disneyland almost 20 years ago (when I was 18) and got fired for my attendance.
    Well my current job is closing their offices in March and I thought what the heck I'll apply for a position in the Disney offices. I got an email back stating I was on non rehire status.
    Really? 20 years later... it's not like I stole from the company.
    Anyways my question is, is there anyway to get this lifted so I can at least have the chance to apply and interview for a job? Should I go to the casting office with something prepared?
    Any help will be appreciated!

Amanda

Re: Non rehire status

That's really silly of them to hold something like that against someone for so many years - especially when you were basically a kid at the time.
    I can't help but wish you the best of luck!

Comment

I thought it was silly too. Guess I'll just go down to the casting office and inquire there.

Comment

I not could help you in this, but I do wish you luck on that!

This actually reminds me of a story of a Jungle Cruise skipper who earned the ultimate re-hire status. He was going to quit anyway so he figured "what the heck?" When his boat reached the Hippo Pool, he jumped out of the boat. When the hippo with his mouth wide open resurfaced (this was in the 1990s) the skipper was playing dead in the hippo's mouth!
        "The happy haunts have recieved a faldric nomdage." ~Paul Frees

Originally posted by SOTSreleaseplease
        The more Paul Frees, the better I say.

Comment

Yikes, that is pretty crazy! Keep us posted as to what happens, it might be able to help out others whom might be in a similar situation. Good luck!

Comment

Definitely talk with them in person and show them how long you were with your previous employer. That may help your cause.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottG View Post
              That's really silly of them to hold something like that against someone for so many years - especially when you were basically a kid at the time.
              I can't help but wish you the best of luck!
              18 is an adult. I have no problem with them keeping the person the non-hire list. Imagine the problems if you didn't, you would have to revisit every employee you fired on some regular basis and that would require hiring more people just to do it. Much easier to simply put them on a list and leave them on for life. Imagine the problem if you had someone that you fired and even 20 years later rehired only to have them do something that caused an injury to another CM or visitor, the lawyers for the person injured would have a field day... "So you fired them in the past and knowing they were not a responsible employee hired them again..." Not saying the OP would ever cause a problem again but the risk is there if you don't ban them forever.

Of course I do find it interesting that they keep track of things like that forever... I can recall a guy in high school that was caught shop lifting in Target. As part of the plea he was banned from ever setting foot in the Target store again... And later that summer I ran into him inside the same Target where he was now an employee.
              Last edited by Mackster; 07-23-2014, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackster View Post
                18 is an adult. I have no problem with them keeping the person the non-hire list. Imagine the problems if you didn't, you would have to revisit every employ you fired on some regular basis and that would require hiring more people just to do it. Much easier to simply put them on a list and leave them on for life. Imagine the problem if you had someone that you fired and even 20 years later rehired only to have them do something that caused an injury to another CM or visitor, the lawyers for the person injured would have a field day... "So you fired them in the past and knowing they were not a responsible employee hired them again..." Not saying the OP would ever cause a problem again but the risk is there if you don't ban them forever.
                Agreed.
                Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report
                World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report
                My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report
                My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party
                My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
                My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club
                My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report
                My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
                My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report
                My October, 2011 Trip Report
                My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

I started at Disney when I was 16 and I had to quit without giving a two weeks notice due to school and my parents. I ended up getting rehired after a year, I went to the cast office and asked them if anything could be done and they took it off.
                  Jeff Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Mackster View Post
                    18 is an adult. I have no problem with them keeping the person the non-hire list. Imagine the problems if you didn't, you would have to revisit every employ you fired on some regular basis and that would require hiring more people just to do it. Much easier to simply put them on a list and leave them on for life. Imagine the problem if you had someone that you fired and even 20 years later rehired only to have them do something that caused an injury to another CM or visitor, the lawyers for the person injured would have a field day... "So you fired them in the past and knowing they were not a responsible employee hired them again..." Not saying the OP would ever cause a problem again but the risk is there if you don't ban them forever.
                    At 18, you're a legal adult. But really, you're still a teenager. I look back on my 18-year-old self, and I was nowhere near the level of maturity I am now, more than ten years later. Sure, I'd had a job for a few years by that point, and I took it pretty seriously. But while I always showed up, I certainly wasn't always on time. In my mid-twenties I was going through a really rough patch, and my attendance on my job did suffer. But I'm not the same person now, and these days I'm particularly noted by my employers for being punctual and dependable.

People change a lot from their young adult years to their thirties and forties. And while I agree that there are certain things that should disallow former CMs to reapply--such as causing an accident, engaging in criminal activity, etc.-- I think it's fair to ask for another chance for something like poor attendance 20 years ago.

I hope you get everything straightened out, Amanda! If you do get to talk with the casting directors, it might help to bring your current resume and a list of professional references who can vouch for your work ethic. Be calm and respectful. Explain that you've learned and grown so much since you last worked for them, and that you would love an opportunity to show what a fantastic team member you can be!

Comment

This is very standard is large corporations. I know, I work for one. If you're fired, you cannot be hired. Doesn't matter why you were fired. They cannot make exceptions as then you get into legal issues. Hiring is VERY heavily governed by State and Federal laws.

Comment

I think 20 years is long enough to let something slide for something that kids clearly do when they get a job. The OP clearly WANTS to work for them again and there are plenty of current CM's that do NOT. They're very easy to spot.

Although it seems unlikely, I say if you want to be there, and replace someone who doesn't, so be it.
                        "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

I would definitely try to talk to someone about it to see if you can have it removed. Also, it is very nice to see the majority (unfortunately not all) of the posts on here seem to support the idea that people can grow and change in a 20 year span of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
                            I think 20 years is long enough to let something slide for something that kids clearly do when they get a job.
                            I don't think all "kids" are irresponsible. I've known some that were as punctual as clockwork.

Though from my point of view I also take offense to the current laws that make a juveniles record secret... what a person does when they are young shouldn't be kept a secret as it still is a better indication of what the person is likely to do in the future... certainly a better indication than knowing absolutely nothing about them.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm going down there next Tuesday with a fresh resume, work references and positive attitude. I will post an update as soon as I can. I'm determined to get hired back.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X