Pirates of the Carribean Fireflies in the Bayou! Why haven't they been replaced?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David A
    MiceChatter
    • May 2012

[Chat] Pirates of the Carribean Fireflies in the Bayou! Why haven't they been replaced?

I was reading LostGen's thread about the restoration of POTC and you know, I miss the many fireflies which used to light up the old place. One by one they've burned out and Disney really doesn't seem to care about replacing them.
    I spoke with Tim Carter who made a number of fireflies for the Disney Studio for their films and he said that Tony Baxter was somewhat rude to him when he offered to make more for the POTC attraction. As a kid, I loved those fireflies, as being California born and raised, I'd never seen them before until a trip back East.
    They're a wonderful special effect and need to be replaced.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20111129024018!Ray-the-Firefly-The-Princess-and-The-Frog.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	7375527
  • Great Movie Rider
    MiceChatter
    • Apr 2012

Re: Pirates of the Carribean Fireflies in the Bayou! Why haven't they been replaced?

I know, right? Maybe they sent them to the Little Mermaid ride? I don't know. Whatever the reason, it's moronic.

Comment

• Mojave
      DLR Construction nut
      • Nov 2005

Re: Pirates of the Carribean Fireflies in the Bayou! Why haven't they been replaced?

I don't think people really understand how much electricity and maintenance the fireflies require. They have to land once an hour to have their battery packs replaced - that job alone requires 10 cast members working 16 hour days! And their wings need to be oiled three times a day - it's messy. And can you imagine having to keep a large supply of small insects and snails around for them to feed on?? And remember how Joss Whedon's show Firefly was cancelled after just one season? Yeah, fireflies are not that popular anymore.

Comment

• Zorcher
        MiceChatter
        • Jul 2014

Haha...but all kidding aside, the fireflies did add a lot to the ambiance, and they are noticeably missing right now.

Comment

• alphabassetgrrl
          • May 2005

I agree- the fireflies add a lot to the atmosphere.
          I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

• Seawolf
            Dive ..... Dive.....
            • Mar 2007

Disney doesn't care about details anymore, didn't you guys get the memo?

Comment

• laurainwonderland
              ********ter
              • Apr 2013

We could start a petition to get the fireflies back and Johnny Depp out of POTC.

Comment

• WildeNight
                Evil is Sexy
                • Oct 2012

Fireflies, yes... Johnny Depp I don't care one way or another.
                Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
                Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
                Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
                Neverland since 1996.
                ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Comment

• Acpisme
                  HappiestHaunt
                  • Dec 2011

I love the little firefly lights in the POTC. It will be a sad day indeed when they are finally all gone. My daughter points them out every trip.

Comment

• explodingboy
                    • Jan 2010

I agree - the fireflies surprisingly add a lot to that scene in the beginning. I hope they return.

As for the Tony Baxter comment, I am going to take that with a grain of salt.

Comment

• David A
                      MiceChatter
                      • May 2012

Tim really loves making fireflies and he's very diligent about them being in the attraction.

I believe Tim is now involved with the following company. Their lights are fantastic but I don't believe they make any which actually move as the POTC lights do. Hopefully they will soon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	magical_firefly_lights.gif
Views:	1
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	7356683
                      Last edited by David A; 08-14-2014, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• moregumboplease
                        Banned User
                        • Oct 2012

I love those fireflies, and the shooting star that zooms by along the ceiling as you pass through the bayou!

Comment

• RSZero1
                          Capt without a ship...
                          • Jul 2009

Never saw the shooting star, but the lack of 'working' firefly's do bum me out

Comment

• Yohohoho
                            New MiceChatter
                            • Jun 2013

The fireflies weren't in the movie, right? So who cares? Disney doesn't do anything original in the park anymore. It's gotta have cross-promo value or forget it.

Comment

• jimbo1229
                              MiceChatter
                              • Aug 2014

I agree seawolf, its sad

Comment

• Mojave
                                DLR Construction nut
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by David A View Post
                                Their lights are fantastic but I don't believe they make any which actually move as the POTC lights do.
                                I thought the POTC fireflies moved simply due to the AC and other breezes.

Comment

• oo_nrb
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Aug 2009

...the fireflies are still there? Unless I was hallucinating the last time I was in Pirates?
                                  *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
                                  *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
                                  *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

Comment

• David A
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • May 2012

Originally posted by moregumboplease View Post
                                    I love those fireflies, and the shooting star that zooms by along the ceiling as you pass through the bayou!
                                    You know, it's hard to believe but last time were in the Bayou the little shooting star was working again!!!!! YAY!:yea:

Comment

• David A
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • May 2012

Originally posted by oo_nrb View Post
                                      ...the fireflies are still there? Unless I was hallucinating the last time I was in Pirates?
                                      We were in the Blue Bayou a month ago and there was only 1 single firefly buzzing about. You could see the dead ones hanging there lifeless.

Comment

• Great Movie Rider
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Apr 2012

There are hardly any fireflies, although the shooting star effect started working again out of nowhere after being out of commission for a long time.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X