X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "original" Disneyland

Hi,

I was just watching an old special about Disneyland: "People and Places". It got to me, how very different Disneyland looks these days. In the early days there were far fewer rides (duh!), but in their place, it seems, were other experience of atmosphere and theming. The Indian Village and such. Is just just me, or are these sort of things pretty much gone now?

The video made Disneyland look more like a museum to me, and I liekd what I saw. These days, it's just rides, rides, rides everywhere. Do modern audiences just not enjoy simpler things anymore? Or what could be the problem? Is Disneyland better of with more and more rides? To me, 21st century Disneyland looks more like a heavily themed amusement park, with it's main attractions being the rides, instead of being a theme park, with it's attraction being experiences and transporting people to different places. What do you think, could Disneyland use less rides and more authentic experiences, or do people today not accept things like the mule rides anymore?
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

Re: The "original" Disneyland

Disney has lost some of it's historical exhibits and sense of place over the years, but a lot remains like below deck on the Columbia. Here's what I can remember as being important to the feel of Disneyland that is now gone. On a good note, my list was a lot bigger before Matt.

Fort Wilderness had some static exhibits of early fort life. It's been closed quite awhile.

The mainstreet cinema still runs mickey mouse, but no longer runs other early silent films like the great train robbery.

The turn of the century Main Street arcade has been turned into a candy shop with only a few machines.

The real antique shop in New Orleans square is gone.

The great themed shows of Tahitian Terrace, Golden Horseshow, and Indian Villiage are gone.

The isolated Haunted Mansion has been crowded by the pooly placed and off theme Splash Mountain.

Frontierland has been somewhat trashed visually for crowd control, Fantasmic, and lack of repairs and detail around the Rivers of America.

Fastpass machines, stroller parking, and garish time displays have ruined the concept art appeal of many rides and surrounding areas.

All of Tomorrowland was trashed.

I could go on, but I'm seeing some TLC return to the park and many of the park and museum like details are returning.

Comment

Walt Disney had extremely limited funding when Disneyland first opened. He mortgaged everything he owned (and some people say he sold his soul to the Devil) to get the money needed to open. It was a risky venture. So with limited funds, there was only so much he could put in the park. As the company became more established and it was clear the park would survive its first summer, they updated and improved. Besides, Walt said Disneyland would never be finished. It's a living organism, which has to change and adapt to the world situation. Besides, new attractions bring in new guests and their money. Disneyland is, after all, a business. The attractions are the bait in the people trap run by a mouse. I say that with respect and love, of course.

Comment

There's another factor to why the park has changed, culture. When DL first opened it was a destination. There was no WDW or many other comparable vacation spots that were like DL. Through the years, they've added WDW, Euro, etc. and other amusement parks have themed up to compete with the Disney brand. So in the beginning, Disney relied on people making the trek across the country to visit Disneyland, and most would only do it maybe a handful of times in their life. Today DL is more of a regional attractions that draws most of its guests from surrounding area. So the migration from museum based items that would be seen by people when they came every 5-10 years has changed because most people now visit regularly. Most peoples reactions to local museums are just that, I've seen it, no need to go back.
        Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, what does TLC mean?
          Ad luna in flamma gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Lore
            Disney has lost some of it's historical exhibits and sense of place over the years, but a lot remains like below deck on the Columbia. Here's what I can remember as being important to the feel of Disneyland that is now gone. On a good note, my list was a lot bigger before Matt.

The mainstreet cinema still runs mickey mouse, but no longer runs other early silent films like the great train robbery.

The great themed shows of Tahitian Terrace, Golden Horseshow, and Indian Villiage are gone.
            It actually amazes me that Golden Horseshoe and Mainstreet Cinema made it throught the Pressler/Eisener era. The cinema pays homage to Walt and Mickey but doesn't bring in a single dime in revenue. Imagine trying to preserve the heritage of the park instead of trying to squeeze it for every dime. What a concept.

Comment

Has much of it been changed to rides? Yes but that happened under Walt. The Pirate Wax Museum became the PoTC we all love. So I think with Walt was able to do in the 50s, some of those exhibits we around just because there was no better way to do them.
              But I can't complain. Shows and exhibits are great, but as secondary things. Rides make me happy. Gimme anything and make me ride through it, I'll do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller
                Excuse my ignorance, what does TLC mean?
                Tender loving care.
                God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by localdisnyfan
                  It actually amazes me that Golden Horseshoe and Mainstreet Cinema made it throught the Pressler/Eisener era. The cinema pays homage to Walt and Mickey but doesn't bring in a single dime in revenue. Imagine trying to preserve the heritage of the park instead of trying to squeeze it for every dime. What a concept.
                  Now that you put it that way, wow, I'm surprised too. If it wasn't a shop or ride it pretty much got the axe huh?
                  Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Comment

Times have changed and so has the park. Today's audience is different. A good number of people today don’t like static displays and can’t understand why someone would just stand and look at static a display or artwork.

Look at how many people post her complaining that some of the rides are not extreme enough. (If you don’t believe me just check out the Everest sucks reviews in the WDW area).
                    Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

I remember a store that use to sell Mocassins by the Fire Station, does anyone remember the store name?

To answer other questions, yes more people are looking for thrills. But there are still many visiual effects of Disneylands past and past attractions hidden throughout the park. Disneyland is full of small details today that it is un-believeable how many new things you can discover each trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry
                        Tender loving care.
                        Oh I thought it meant "Totally Loving Care" :lmao:

Comment

What Disneyland has lost to me are a lot of free things that entertained people. I remember in the mid 90's, we were at the Disneyland Hotel and we ran into a strolling band taking any Disney request you could throw at them. It was so fun to sit there on a hot summer, late-afternoon and belt out Whale of a Tale with the band. Now days, it seems as if something doesn't generate money, they get rid of it. What they didn't realize was, I went out that night and bought the CD with Whale of a Tale on it and the video of 20,000 Leagues.

www.magicalhotel.com for a retrospective look at the Disneyland Hotel.
                          sigpicwww.magicalhotel.com

Comment

Originally posted by localdisnyfan
                            Maybe Pressler had a program called "Place Ruining", since he seemed dead set against anything that gave one a rich sense of time and place.

Comment

There are still many charming things within Disney's berm. You just need the time to seek them out. Go someday, and don't ride any attractions. Then you'll see what I mean.
                              sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X