• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yensid1987
    Northwest Disneyphile
    • Jan 2005

DCA smells (and I like it)

Is it just me or dose the California Adventure have an odd odder to it at the entrance? Sort of like fresh coffee or burning bred. I go to school next to a bakery and near a coffee processing plant and the smells make me crazy for Disneyland. Dose any one know this smell?
    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

• AdventureLandJaggy
    Chernabog Admirer
    • Mar 2005

I don't know what the smell is, and I really don't like that smell.. makes me move faster through the entrance just to get out of that smell.

It's like.. burning bread. Bad way to be welcomed into DCA, in my opinion.

Roaming the Kingdom, one Adventure at a time!

Comment

• SuperDisneyDad
      • Feb 2005

It's probably been mentioned before, but there's a coffee roaster in the Bakersfield Bakery. That smell is the roasting of coffee beans.

Comment

• Darkbeer
        Darkbeer
        • Jan 2005

Roasted coffee, or as many folks say...

BURNT coffee.....

Just get rid of the smell!!!!!

If they want to pipe a smell to the entrance area, how about some cinnamon rolls, or some garlic bread... Hey, that is California themed... Gilroy, the Garlic Capital of the World!
        Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

• Disney Analyst
          Behind the refurb walls..
          • Apr 2005

Would you complain about this if it happened at DL? or is it just because it's DCA?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
          ~

Comment

• Darkbeer
            Darkbeer
            • Jan 2005

MANY folks have made complaints about the BURNT coffee smell when you enter DCA....

I know they pipe some smells on Main Street at Disneyland, and it is designed to help sell the candy, plus the bakery and ice cream.... but the smells are usually not overpowering...

The BURNT coffee smell is usually nasty and overpowering..... But it is not always present, only when they are actually roasting... (the exhaust system was designed to pipe the smell to the main entry area of DCA).
            Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

• Disney Analyst
              Behind the refurb walls..
              • Apr 2005

hahahahahaha, the smell of the gross DLR coffee :P

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
              ~

Comment

• cellarhound
                MiceChatter
                • Jan 2005

We have talked about that coffee smell...

Originally I thought it was an immersion experiance... You see the Bay Bridge which looks a lot like the Golden Gate has or had a coffee roasting odor as you entered SF... It was the Hills Brothers Roasting blant which was right by the pier vertually undernieth the bridge... you could see the Hills Brothers sign as you drove it...

That was a long long time ago... Since then they stopped operation... Which is a shame... Lots of things about the trip to SF have changed... Like in Emeryville it was common to do driftwood sculptures by the wetlands... Some where anti war, most where just a lot of fun... (Emeryville is home to Pixar... So you see it has never lost it's creativity... Too close to Berkeley...)
                Check out my other blog:

Comment

• Goin2DL
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jan 2005

I love that smell! Whenever I smell it elsewhere it makes me long for DLR!

Comment

• Tom Chaney
                    Godwin Glacier, Alaska
                    MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Evan-500
                    Would you complain about this if it happened at DL? or is it just because it's DCA?
                    It isn't a bash-DCA thing. It's just that the roasted coffee smell idea doesn't work. Unlike the fragrance of cinnamon pumped out to Main Street at DL, semi-burnt coffee beans don't smell particularly good. Plus there's jut way too much of it. I've seen lots of complaints about the situation on this forum and others. It's curious to me how it appears that NO ONE at Disney has noticed, "Hey...how come the entrance to DCA stinks?" Or maybe they like it! I remember some time ago, in an attempt to eat healthier, I bought some meatless bacon product. Took it home and cooked it. Spit it out and threw the rest away. Apparently, the man who created the flavor profile for the product gets burnt bacon for his breakfast everyday...because that's exactly what it tasted like. :lol:
                    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
                    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

• cellarhound
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Tom Chaney
                      It's curious to me how it appears that NO ONE at Disney has noticed, "Hey...how come the entrance to DCA stinks?" Or maybe they like it!
                      The thing is... It doesn't smell like roasted coffee beans... It smells like coffee that has been left on a a burner all day till it is that flaky crispy dried smelly yucky goo... We all know and love that smell from the days automatic coffee makers didn't have a shutoff timer...
                      Check out my other blog:

Comment

• yensid1987
                        Northwest Disneyphile
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Evan-500
                        Im not complaing Im just trying to pin point the smell.
                        Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

Comment

• Modern Folly
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jan 2005

I'll tell you a smell I do hate at DCA, it's at a bugs land, that horrid smelly smell. I can't describe it.

Comment

• Disneykat
                            For old time sake
                            • Apr 2005

It's curious to me how it appears that NO ONE at Disney has noticed, "Hey...how come the entrance to DCA stinks?" Or maybe they like it!

I can't STAND the smell. It's gross. It's as bad as burnt popcorn!!!!
                            Katie :yea:
                            Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
                            :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X