Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't anyone like Audio-Animatronics?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why doesn't anyone like Audio-Animatronics?

    This thread is an adjunct to the fun thread called "You're an Imagineer..."

    I noticed that all the fun, new ideas everyone posted for attractions at Disneyland, few, if any, included A-A figures. Yet, the great perennial favorites at the parks, still going strong after decades, are all about A-A. What gives? I'd love to hear your opinions and theories.

  • #2
    I love aa's. I don't think they'll ever go away. It's just that people are probably looking to incorporate newer technologies into rides.

    Comment


    • #3
      I had heard recently about new AA technology possibly being used in POTC, making the pirates interact with the guests and their dialogue and actions would be different everytime. If that kind of technology could be incorporated, that would be awesome!
      Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!



      Do you MiceChat?
      Help support the site you love:
      -Visit the MiceChat store
      Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

      DMCA for life, yo.
      MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's kind of like what Kevin Yee was saying in his article "The New Patriotism", we used to simply sit back and watch the show. These days, people seem to be more interested in being a part of something, as apposed to just coasting by some AAs. Dont get me wrong, I love AAs and I love PotC and HM, but that just seems to be where the market is headed, or perhaps was. Disney still builds AA attractions. WtP (Winnie the Pooh) was the same deal, and this Submarine Nemo attractions too.

        However, look at some of the newest attractions, Buzz, Mission: Space, they're about being a part of the ride, not just watching a show.












        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Club 33
          It's kind of like what Kevin Yee was saying in his article "The New Patriotism", we used to simply sit back and watch the show. These days, people seem to be more interested in being a part of something, as apposed to just coasting by some AAs. Dont get me wrong, I love AAs and I love PotC and HM, but that just seems to be where the market is headed, or perhaps was. Disney still builds AA attractions. WtP (Winnie the Pooh) was the same deal, and this Submarine Nemo attractions too.

          However, look at some of the newest attractions, Buzz, Mission: Space, they're about being a part of the ride, not just watching a show.
          I don't know, I think So Cal is growing up when it comes to the vertues of interactive theatre.... but getting people to interact in a safe way is the key...

          AA's seemed to be an experiment with a type of drama called "realism" - and we recently passed through the need to have every film and attraction to be as "real" as possable...

          But the recent trend moves beyond realism or even "emersion" but toward "interactive super-realism."
          Check out my other blog:

          Comment


          • #6
            The only people who hate audio animatronics seem to be upper disney management

            Comment


            • #7
              oops...sorry,

              Actually, I meant to have A-A in both of my rides.... But I guess like
              in Indy, the best A-A rides are ones where they're just part of the story
              (of the ride). Not so much A-A intensive like PoTC is. Even the Yeti in
              the Matterhorn is a very rudimentary A-A. (BTW. I recently saw a
              stationary picture of the Yeti. I didn't know that it looked so cheesy!
              but when you're speeding by, one doesn't see it).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dramaqueen
                I had heard recently about new AA technology possibly being used in POTC, making the pirates interact with the guests and their dialogue and actions would be different everytime. If that kind of technology could be incorporated, that would be awesome!
                Yes, this is actually possible. The voice recognition is now good enough that if
                they put a mic on the boat, they could attempt to discern what you say and
                react to it. However, I'm not sure if it would hear *you* reliably since PoTC is
                pretty loud sometimes (music, sfx) The only way to do that is to put a mic
                on *you*. I guess they could use a nice directional parabolic mic.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Cellerhound: I agree w/ you salient points.... One note: "Nemo Subs" can be considered
                  "immersive" since it does go (partially) underwater :-):-):-)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nevermind....

                    Hmmm.... it's ok now....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nish221
                      Cellerhound: I agree w/ you salient points.... One note: "Nemo Subs" can be considered
                      "immersive" since it does go (partially) underwater :-):-):-)
                      Or is that Sub-mersive?
                      Check out my other blog:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I was rather surprised that there were no AAs at DCA either.....it's screaming out for a really good California history AA attraction.
                        My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          heh, heh!

                          Good one, cellerhound!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SilentBob66
                            I was rather surprised that there were no AAs at DCA either.....it's screaming out for a really good California history AA attraction.
                            Something with the Gold Rush, at least.

                            I personally love AAs! The one in Buzz in the queue is amazing. Fluid articulation and face projection akin to Madame Leota! I hope they consider some AAs for new rides; I think it really enhances the whole experience, especially for the younger set.
                            Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!


                            -- robotarmada.net --

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Club 33
                              It's kind of like what Kevin Yee was saying in his article "The New Patriotism", we used to simply sit back and watch the show. These days, people seem to be more interested in being a part of something, as apposed to just coasting by some AAs. Dont get me wrong, I love AAs and I love PotC and HM, but that just seems to be where the market is headed, or perhaps was. Disney still builds AA attractions. WtP (Winnie the Pooh) was the same deal, and this Submarine Nemo attractions too.

                              However, look at some of the newest attractions, Buzz, Mission: Space, they're about being a part of the ride, not just watching a show.
                              yes and no

                              guests like rides that make you feel part of the action and they don't want a passive experience

                              Pirates and Mansion still work for the most part because they simulate exploration and discovery that you yourself are doing

                              and I think that the Pooh attraction your speaking of is the Tokyo one it uses AA's but it also uses projection effects which is very fitting for the style of ride that it is

                              I have heard Nemo will use AA's but it might also use projections of some sort
                              "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X