Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

    Yesterday we went to watch Aladdin at DCA since it's a good show and they always update the Genie's jokes, but I noticed something that shouldn't have been there. Visible tatoos.

    The main Aladdin had a tatoo on his right bicep and one of the dancing girls in the market scene had a decent-sized tatoo on her back. Both were noticeable and distracting.

    If you aren't aware, part of the "Disney Look" is that there are to be NO visible tatoos while on stage.

    Is this just yet another example of how desperate Disney is for workers that they are overlooking one of the things Lillian had Walt implement to set his park apart from others?

  • #2
    Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

    Wow, you're on a roll today ManaByte.

    I don't know, but maybe there is a difference in rules for park cast members and entertainment cast members? Maybe the tattoos were let go because they didn't detract from the surroundings too much?
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

    DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

    (VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

      Originally posted by Speedway
      I don't know, but maybe there is a difference in rules for park cast members and entertainment cast members? Maybe the tattoos were let go because they didn't detract from the surroundings too much?
      Nope. All Cast Members follow the same rules and all Cast Members go through the exact same Traditions class where the Disney Look is hammered into their heads.

      In a single Traditions class it's not uncommon to have Entertainment, Custodial, Foods, Stores, ODV, Fire Department, and Attractions CMs training at once.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

        Fire Department CMs have to follow these rules? Jeez.
        BACKPACKING REALNESS

        DISNEY TRIPS
        October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
        April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
        October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
        December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
        July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
        July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
        July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
        February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
        February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

        (VERY OLD!)
        TRIP REPORTS

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

          One of the belly dancers who's been there quite a while has a tattoo. I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Now Aladdin with a tattoo in such a noticeable place is really bad but perhaps he was an understudy for an understudy and an absolute last resort backup plan so that the show may go on. That's not to say it's acceptable but that might be how it happened. On the rest of the cast, however, I don't think it's a big deal. Henna and tattoos go back a long way in "Arabian" history.
          Joey AKA "dlfreak"
          www.mouseinfo.com

          I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
          If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
          Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

          With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

          Create your own Virtual pet today!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

            Originally posted by ManaByte
            Nope. All Cast Members follow the same rules and all Cast Members go through the exact same Traditions class where the Disney Look is hammered into their heads.

            In a single Traditions class it's not uncommon to have Entertainment, Custodial, Foods, Stores, ODV, Fire Department, and Attractions CMs training at once.
            Wow you just must have a talent for rubbing people the wrong way! Actually if someone is in entertainment some times the rules are different. People in entertainment can have things if they fit the role they will be playing such as piercings, tats, different hair styles, facial hair. While it is not one of our fav things it is something that helps with the STORY that is trying to be passed along to the guest.

            Now just a few questions for you. Are you a CM have you ever been a CM? Are you a Traditions leader or have you ever been one? Are you a AP holder or have your ever been one?

            J
            Kungaloosh!

            *END OF LINE*

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

              I'm not sure that hiring problems would extend into the entertainment department as there are too many actors to count living in LA trying to get a job. Even I know a few people would would kill to play Aladdin.
              Disneyland Wooooh!

              "You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

                Is it possible that the requirements are different at DCA. I noticed that one of the male musicians on the car stage had multiple ear piercings. At first I thought that it was unusual for Disney, but then thought that it kind of went with the "show."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

                  Originally posted by DifrntDrmr
                  Is it possible that the requirements are different at DCA. I noticed that one of the male musicians on the car stage had multiple ear piercings. At first I thought that it was unusual for Disney, but then thought that it kind of went with the "show."
                  DCA and Disneyland are part of DLR and all CMs are supposed to follow the same rules. It's not like there's separate hiring for the two parks. When you got to the casting office and are hired they can place you either in Disneyland or DCA - depending on where there's openings.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

                    I'm with ManaByte on this one. I was an entertainment CM in Florida, and the rules there on the look of entertainment CMs were no different than others. Having tattoos showing is bad show by Disney standards. One would think that at least in a stage show they could be covered by makeup if need be.
                    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

                      visible tatoos??...*gasp*...say it isn't so....*faints*

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

                        I know what Aladdin you are talking about. Last time I saw the show he had tape the color of his skin to cover it up. I didn't even see the tape until he was 5 ft away and my brother pointed it out.

                        He was the BEST Aladdin I have seen in the park. He isn't from the bottom of the barrel. I am willing to let him have his tape.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

                          With all due respect, I think this has nothing to do with Disneyland's "hiring problem."

                          Out of curiosity, what did the tattoo depict? You seemed to notice it, so I'm assuming you could describe it to us. Was it vulgar? Would it offend someone in the audience watching the show? As said before, what if it was a temporary tattoo that was significantly related to the theme of Aladdin?

                          If it was truly a tattoo the employee got for him or herself, then how could it be Disney being "desperate" for new hires? It's likely that we don't know how long the two subjects with the tattoos have been working. They could have been long-time employees. Plus, we are talking about two employees here, not a wide demographic. If everyone out on stage had tattoos, then that argument might carry some weight.
                          "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

                          Avatar designed by Greg Maletic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

                            Originally posted by Rapunzel
                            I know what Aladdin you are talking about. Last time I saw the show he had tape the color of his skin to cover it up. I didn't even see the tape until he was 5 ft away and my brother pointed it out.

                            He was the BEST Aladdin I have seen in the park. He isn't from the bottom of the barrel. I am willing to let him have his tape.
                            See, and to me, that makes it fine - it's covered up, and done in a nice fashion.
                            "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

                              Originally posted by Jerm
                              Wow you just must have a talent for rubbing people the wrong way! Actually if someone is in entertainment some times the rules are different. People in entertainment can have things if they fit the role they will be playing such as piercings, tats, different hair styles, facial hair. While it is not one of our fav things it is something that helps with the STORY that is trying to be passed along to the guest.

                              Now just a few questions for you. Are you a CM have you ever been a CM? Are you a Traditions leader or have you ever been one? Are you a AP holder or have your ever been one?

                              J
                              hummmmm I think you have that talent to!

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X