This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midway Games at Paradise Pier

Most people seem to greatly dislike the fact that Disney included midway games in D.C.A., and a part of me agrees. However, I do believe that there is a way for them to exist in the new park without offending people's sensibilities.

I would not be bothered if every player won at least something and if the prizes related to Paradise Pier and were reasonably tasteful (plushes featuring the carousel's marine animals, etc.). The games, themselves, should also more closely relate to the ocean.

Does anyone have any opinions one way or the other?

Re: Midway Games at Paradise Pier

I don't like Midway Games, but that's only because I am not lucky, or skillfull.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

i like the midway games. but im disapointed because disney could've done so much more with them. it seems like they didn;t even give the games a little bit of a disney touch. and the prizes are pathetic. c'mon disney, don;t go to cheap on us.

Comment

Originally posted by gOLDEN bLUE
        i like the midway games. but im disapointed because disney could've done so much more with them. it seems like they didn;t even give the games a little bit of a disney touch. and the prizes are pathetic. c'mon disney, don;t go to cheap on us.
        You r so right, where's the disney magic? You know that the imaginears have taken regular games apart, then reworked them......paint,new art,and theme, then put them back together, like fortune red and the headhunted professor in adventure land! point is they could have taken the midway games and themed them really cool!
        5.6 miles away from the entrance of POTC!

Comment

Oh I so agree that they are cheap! Little random trickets... Big Deal. And the games they use are the same ones that have traditionally been rigged by every carny in the nation! The basketballs are overinflated.... the milk cannisters must be hit from directly above but there is a low ceiling.... etc etc. I am not saying Disney does this but if you are going to charge 3 or 4 bucks.. make sure every kid goes away with something!!! Even a 35 cent crab ius a better memory than thinking you suck at throwing darts at a balloon to a ten year old!
          sigpicDisney Road

Comment

Drop the price to something like $1. Everybody gets at least something to walk away with (small Surfer plush of a fab five member of your choice).

Comment

And by the way.. this is my 100th post --- yeah me!
              sigpicDisney Road

Comment

The games on the midway would be PACKED all the time if they gave away Disney Prizes, but to get that Carny crud at Disneyland....no thanks. I LOVE to play skeeball but I don't bother at DCA because who wants those trash prizes.
                IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Comment

The Midway Games always remind me of Magic Mountain and I don't want to be reminded of Magic Mountian when I am on a Disney property.
                  "I don't want the public to see the world they live in while they're in the Park (Disneyland). I want to feel they're in another world." W.E.D.

Comment

normally, i would get VERY defensive when people talk about the Midway Games, because that was MY area.

but im just happy this hasnt turned into a "hate the games" thread.

now to set some records straight:
                    -all the games are $2, except Boardwalk Bowl which is $1
                    -New Haul Fishery is the game where EVERYONE will win a prize
                    -Shore Shot, Cowhuega Pass and Reboundo Beach(my home for the last year) offer extra shots for $5 ((SS & RB $5 = 3 balls, Cow $5 = 8 shots))
                    -the Games were built as a last minute addition to the Pier with Reboundo Beach being built last, hence why on the billboard next to Catch-A-Flave it's not listed
                    -There never has been, nor will there probably be Disney prizes at the Games due to cost (why give them away for $2 when we can charge $10?)
                    -these are games of skill, meaning yes, they are a tad difficult.
                    --the basketballs are NOT overinflated, they're the proper size/weight and PSI, ive filled them myself.
                    --the softballs DO fit in milk can from the proper angle and they can even bounce in
                    --the fruit baskets at San Joaquin Volley do NOT have springs/rubber/etc in the back that cause them to bounce out. just follow the directions and it'll go in
                    --the targets at Angels in the Outfield (the only game with "Disney" in it) are very light and it would be better to throw the ball as you would a dart, instead of a baseball. Accuracy > power
                    --the fish at New Haul Fishery are marked with a code revealing to us the prize you win. its a 1/15 for a medium and 1/30 for a large (but you win everytime, so it shouldnt matter right?)

lol, ok rant off now
                    PSN: ItsTheRocketeer
                    Nintendo Network: ItsTheRocketeer
                    3DS: 3050-7580-4526

Comment

oh, and one more thing

whenever this "Midway Mania" thing is supposed to come, i can assure you, the Games will still be around in some form

we make WAY too much money for them to not consider us a profit
                      PSN: ItsTheRocketeer
                      Nintendo Network: ItsTheRocketeer
                      3DS: 3050-7580-4526

Comment

I despise the whole Pier Theme in the 1st place. Would NOT
                        be sad at all to see the entire area disappear to yesterdayland.
                        The games are one of the many things that makes DCA look
                        like a state fair, at least state fairs go away after a couple
                        weeks.....Unfortunately the same can't be said of the pier.
                        Nothing could be done about the games to change my mind
                        about how they degrade the entire Disney experience, which
                        I why I seldom venture there.
                        Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                        An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                        Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                        Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Originally posted by Browncoat
                          -There never has been, nor will there probably be Disney prizes at the Games due to cost (why give them away for $2 when we can charge $10?)
                          I would never want Mickey plushes, for example, floating around as prizes for the midway games, but I would like something that shows more thought and that fits the theme of the area.

The only reason the pier exists is because it is a way for D.C.A. to capture a sense of the active and carefree lifestyle of Californians, as well as the beach culture that is a part of that lifestyle. So, everything at Paradise Pier must relate directly to the ocean in order for the area to work creatively. Cow plushes don't support this idea, though.

Comment

You know what, nobody is ever happy with anything at DCA, but every theme park has midway games and every theme park rips people off. But as long as people contiune to pay they will still be around.

Comment

Who wants to pay a lot of money to go to a theme park... just to pay more money to play one of their attractions listed on the map?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X