• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snowflake
    My arms are tired!
    • Feb 2005

Peoplemover - the next logical step?

It is obvious that the peoplemover as we all once knew it, will never return. At this point, during the 50th anniversay celebrations, it is also clear that the PM track is getting only a facelift in a new Tomorrowland themed paint job.

So what is the next logical step? In other threads, it has been mentioned that the Rocket Rods attraction has now damaged and made the PM track unsafe.

Do you think the next step will be demolition of the PM track itself, to make room for something else in Tomorrowland? Aesthetically, how much damage to the "look" of Tomorrowland would there be if the track was demolished and all traces removed? Is that even possible?

Snow

Cost of AP= $239
    Trips to DL= 001
    Next Trip to DL= May 6-7, 2007
  • DifrntDrmr
    Missing Disneyland
    • Apr 2005

Removing it would be better that having an empty reminder of what used to be.

Comment

• NWRREngineer
      • Jan 2005

I completely agree with removing the track entirely.

Much as I loved the peoplemover, seeing its bones lingering around like that is nothing more than depressing. If they're not going to bring it back or use the track for something really cool, they should tear it down and open the space back up.
      "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

Comment

• pyrateslife4me84
        Resident Neuroscientist
        • Mar 2005

it is true that Rocket Rods damaged the track, so extensive structural modifications would be necessary to replace it. Personally, I'd like to see, maybe 5 years down the line, them take out the existing track and build a new one (build it correctly) and bring the Rocket Rods back, but with higher capacity, better theming, and banked turns. I realize its former queue is gone, but it would not need such a large queue anymore--just make it a Fastpass ride with a 90/10 ratio of Fastpassers to Stand-byers and then it wouldn't require a gigantic queue in the middle of Tomorrowland. It seems to me it would be a fun ride that most people could enjoy (like Test Track).
        -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
        I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Comment

• Kevie
          Banned User
          • Apr 2005

I pretty much agree with pyrateslife4me84. I want to see Rocket Rods return, but I dont see the need for a TOTALLY new track. Just renovate the existing one. I liked slowing down on the curves (it was fun!) but that will just bring us back where we started and have the Rods closing in 2 years. So they should just bank the curves and run the Rods accelerated thru the entire track. The downside is, the ride will be much shorter, probably 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. But using FASTPASS and not building such a HUGE queue will help cut down waits, so the short ride won't feel too much like a ripoff.

If the track is removed (which could probably be done, or at least the visible parts could be taken out), Tomorrowland will look very empty in the main entryway, but the rest of it, you'd barely notice.

Comment

• pyrateslife4me84
            Resident Neuroscientist
            • Mar 2005

not necessarily that short. Have it be fast on the outside sections and have nice show scenes on the inside sections where the cars would slow down. Then create "trains" with two cars attached and maybe 6 people in each car (12 total) and capacity will be higher without adversely affecting ride quality.

I am pretty sure the entire track needs to be replaced...at least the outdoor sections.
            -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
            I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Comment

• cellarhound
              MiceChatter
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by snowflake
              [FONT=Arial][COLOR=SeaGreen] In other threads, it has been mentioned that the Rocket Rods attraction has now damaged and made the PM track unsafe.
              Track or platform?

Magnetic Levitation (Mag-Lev) system... Sort of like the system installed at WDW... Have it glide through a guided track which will need to be rebuilt if it is damaged... The sucker runs on electricity, so there are no polutants... This style of track is a technology of today that will be used shortly to power trains along the LA-SF courador, as plane travel will become expensive due to petrolium depleation...

Sooner or later they are going to have to remove Autopia and put in electric cars... as the cost of petrolium will make that ride VERY expensive... Besides it will be cleaner and nicer... But Chevron won't be happy...
              Check out my other blog:

Comment

• ModHatter
                Minion
                • Jan 2005

Well, I'm more in favor of leaving the thing, bones and all, alone until 2010. the Chevron makeover of Autopia needs to be undone, and that whole area including MBC needs a redo. So, in a few years when they Imagineers can essentially wipe the whole slate clean, redesign that whole quadrant, and put PM in the budget to receive a new track layout through that area, since the current structure has to be rebuilt anyway.

Meanwhile, I never have heard, what is the status of the PM track that ran through what is now the Buzz building?
                See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
                78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• Kevie
                  Banned User
                  • Apr 2005

MBC area is getting a redo. Does anyone know yet what the future of this location is? Is it just sitting there drained?

Some say the Peoplemover track in Buzz building was taken out, but it doesn't look like it from the outside. The track at least still enters the building.

Comment

• Disney Analyst
                    Behind the refurb walls..
                    • Apr 2005

I remember when I went in 2001, and I saw the track, I was all like, what was there? Cause I noticed boards and like walls and stuff where the track went into a building.. The track pretty much ran into a wall...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                    ~

Comment

• Kevie
                      Banned User
                      • Apr 2005

^When in 2001 did you go? When they were supposedly "renovating" Rocket Rods (which would be January-April 2001) or did you go later? This is very interesting! Tell me everything about these boards and work on the track.

Comment

• Ghostbuster626
                        Banned User
                        • Jan 2005

They should just put in "Tommorowland Transit Authority" from WDW which is basically an updated peoplemover.

Comment

• Tom Chaney
                          Godwin Glacier, Alaska
                          MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                          • Feb 2005

The title of the thread is "The Next Logical Step..."

Yes, the People Mover is now in Yesterland. I don't think it's coming back. What to do with the track? Paint it so it doesn't look all tacky for the 50th, then remove it next year. Even if the damage to the track is minimal, would your liability lawyer let you build a new ride on it? The ride is gone. Perhaps they'll built a new track and try Rocket Rods again. I doubt it. Time for something new... or, more likely, time to remember what used to be there and just move on. That's my logical answer.

But hey!!! This is Mice Chat where we're all imagineers with unlimted budgets... so let's dip our chocolate bar into our peanut butter and see if we can satisfy two cravings at once! Remove the PP track and replace it with a new track for udated suspended PM cars. Run the whole mess around the park and make it go up high in spots and you've got a People Mover Skyway!
                          "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
                          -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

• Momzilla59
                            LoisAlene
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Tom Chaney
                            Remove the PP track and replace it with a new track for udated suspended PM cars. Run the whole mess around the park and make it go up high in spots and you've got a People Mover Skyway!
                            Oooooh I'd love to ride something like that! Make the cars look a little Jetson-like and you've got a Tomorrow that I'd like to be in! I know, I know, Hanna Barbera, not Disney - but isn't that the future we'd Really love to live in? I want my own personal rocket pack, dang it!

Jane...Help! Stop this crazy thing!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

Comment

• Disney Vault
                              • Apr 2005

A suspended people mover would be so cool. And it would probably attract way more people. Look how many more people go on Peter Pan in fantasyland compared to the other dark rides. Being suspended adds some thrill to it.

Comment

• hornplayer
                                #1 Spin and Marty fan
                                • Apr 2005

MBC?

I say remove the tracks - make way for someting new. As much as I loved the PM, it is gone. I never had the opportunity to do the Rocket Rods.

I just wish that Tomorrowland would get a makeover that made it look clean and futuristic rather than the "Jules Verne vomits DaVicni" look that is there now.
                                Last edited by hornplayer; 04-16-2005, 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

• Disney Analyst
                                  Behind the refurb walls..
                                  • Apr 2005

I went to disneyland march 2001, around like 12, 13, 14 15 etc.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                                  ~

Comment

• dramaqueen
                                    is FIERCE!
                                    • Jan 2005

I think the next logical step would be to design a ride vehicle that could run on the tracks. If the tracks need to be replaced, so be it. But don't rip it out completely. The problem with the Rocket Rods was that the cars were poorly designed. So design a vehicle that can actually do what you want it to do, one that can have variable speed, higher capacity, and less breakdowns. Once you have a car that works, you can modify the track any way you need to.
                                    Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-16-2005, 05:07 PM.
                                    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                                    Help support the site you love:
                                    -Visit the MiceChat store
                                    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                                    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

• Kevie
                                      Banned User
                                      • Apr 2005

Evan: You went MArch 2001 and they were working on the tracks? Boards and stuff? Tell me more.

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by dramaqueen
                                        I think the next logical step would be to design a ride vehicle that could run on the tracks. If the tracks need to be replaced, so be it. But don't rip them out completely. The problem with the Rocket Rods was that the cars were poorly designed. So design a vehicle that can actually do what you want it to do, one that can have variable speed, higher capacity, and lees breakdown. Once ypu have a car that works, you can modify the track any way you need to.
                                        Lets not forget among the talent stable at WDI are artists painters story people and ENGINEERS.

As Dramaqueen notes, give them specs off what you need and what needs to be done with the track and budget it.

The basic "right of way" ie the 'route' the pm / rr track uses, is too integrated into all of Tomorrowland for it to go away forever. I'm sure WDI and Disney Co. execs have fond memories of a ride that gives guests a full tour of Tomorrowland. I'm sure City Hall gets a lot of questions about why theres not a TTA here or what happened to the old People Mover.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X