This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland 1955 Pictures

Some time ago, a request was made for early pics of Disneyland. I know I have a few stashed deep in the cedar chest. I'm still digging but three pictures turned up yesterday. They're not great, but I hope you enjoy them. They do solve a small mystery for me, however. If you remember my original avatar... a photo of my brothers and I atop the Main Street horsedrawn fire engine. The original photo is from this set and is dated June 1956 so I assumed that was when we went. I think it was a little earlier:

As you can see, the Christmas decorations are up. I guess my mother left the film in the camera awhile before having it developed... so I can now proudly say I visited Disneyland in 1955! By the way... note the way the gentleman is dressed. It was a very different time.

Here's a view of Autopia. There's really not much to see here, but note how small the trees are. We're so used to much lusher foliage today.

Finally, here's one of the original Mark I Autopia cars on display at the entrance of the attraction. It appears that this is before they added the heavy bumpers. (Apparently they didn't anticipate that the youthful drivers would treat their vehicles as bumper cars!)
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

WOW- Tome that is so cool! I was going to ask if anyone had some old pictures to share! Those are truely amazing! Thank you for taking the time to share them with us :bow:
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Amazing. More more more!!!
      MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

BTW... do you think that might be Tinkerbell just above the castle? :lol:
        "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."

Comment

Nice photos, Tom. I have to agree I would love to see more if you have them!!! People dressed more respectable back then. Thanks for sharing.
          1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

More more more! Amazing photos!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
            ~

Comment

Great stuff, Tom! Keep 'em coming!
              ------------------
              DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
              http://www.comedy4cast.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Chaney
                BTW... do you think that might be Tinkerbell just above the castle? :lol:
                OOh, that is tinkerbell up there, your lucky you got that pic. Great pictures by the way.

Orlando doing good
                http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a0_1212091354&p=1

www.Myspace.com/butterflytat20
                Princess of Randomness

Comment

I'm still digging. Found a couple more this morning. One from a 1959 trip and another I just think you'll like:

These were the days you could purchase toy derringers in Frontier Land. Here are my two friends and I displaying our new firearms on the porch of the Golden Horseshoe.

Here's a detail from the same picture I've blown up and tried to enhance a bit. These were the days when the Golden Horseshoe featured an elaborate "revue." There were several shows a day and people would form a long line waiting to get in.

Finally, a picture I've thrown-in just for fun. That's me at about five years old after a trip to Disneyland. I wish I had that coonskin cap today!

(aaaaaaawwwww!)

Comment

It is very cool that you were able to go when the park was so new. It must be amazing to be able to look at all the changes through the years through your own memories.
                    Very cute picture with the coonskin cap, by the way.
                    Visited: DL Dec. 1989, Dec. 1992, Dec. 1995, WDW Jan. 1999, DL March 2001,
                    WDW Jan. 2005, DL Jan. 2006, Nov. 2006, Dec. 2012, WDW Feb. 2013
                    :love:Got Engaged at the Blue Bayou January 6, 2006! :love:

Comment

You should have submitted these for the Happiest Faces Tom! Pics like these are a national treasure, they really are! You should get them framed and display them in your house somewhere!
                      Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                      Help support the site you love:
                      -Visit the MiceChat store
                      Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                      MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Oh, these are awesome!!!!! I'm loving it! More!!!
                        disneyphile@gmail.com

Comment

Tom, those are outstanding!
                          Did you send any that old for the collages?
                          Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Comment

I didn't send any for the collages. I guess I should've. I'm happy, though, to share them with my friends here on MiceChat.

Comment

Here are a few 1955 pics I have from my aunts trip to DL.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X